Floyd Patterson vs Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Pugilist_Spec, Jan 14, 2016.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006

2. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Patterson has way too much speed and skill for Dempsey. I assume everyone agrees? Close thread.

I read that was a catch weight

He probably was but he was at least as lean as Dempsey, see

http://www.thetitlefight.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/FloydPatterson.jpg

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/48...69f4k8efPnFkQGiAHMRmPuiLx2if5JUECOnQh0Qkj9A==

Versus

http://cdn.quotesgram.com/img/91/10/75371476-dempsey3.jpg

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/15...F79hgG1XK/JgMwCzc+Ws/ZY2xQj6jhv+uvN/IQA/4XA==

3. edward morbius

edward morbius Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I looked at the 1976 Ring Record Book tales of the tape for heavyweight champions, and

Max Schmeling--chest 43"--chest exp 47"

George Foreman--chest 42"--chest exp 44"

Max Schmeling--biceps 16"--neck 17 1/2"

George Foreman--biceps 15"--neck 17"

Who would have thought that Schmeling is actually the "bigger" man at least in the upper body.

It raises the issue (if these are accurate) of what difference to these measurements ethnic identity makes. Are folks built the same?

Also with Schmeling weighing 190 and Foreman over 215, what actually do these measurements amount to?

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006

5. edward morbius

edward morbius Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2011

6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006

7. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I think what this shows is how inept some folks are at doing simple tasks like reading a tape measure...

8. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I think it is more an issue that methods of measuring were not standardised.

Even so, we do seem to see a bit of a pattern here.

The old timers weigh less than we would expect, given their dimensions.

I think that a lot of them would have been heavier in later eras.

9. foreman&dempsey

foreman&dempsey Boxing Addict banned

Dec 7, 2015
    Foreman was x2 schmeling in upper body and legs. His frame was much bigger.the young foreman had 17 of bíceps and he never trained weights. He was a natural 230 pounder. In 1976 he weighed 227 so how the hell could be the midget schmeling any bigger

10. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    So are you actually insinuating that these measures are real and schmeling was bigger than george? Lol

11. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    There are lots of cases where a much smaller fighter, is bigger in one key measurement.

12. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    A MUCH SMALLER? Well. Smaller is not shorter,if we agree in the meaning of MUCH SMALLER give me an example

13. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    OK, here is one for you.

Tommy Burns had exactly the same forearm circumference as Rid**** Bowe, both being 12.5 inches!

14. Berlenbach

Berlenbach Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Well, I disagree. If a fairly ordinary contender could have success against Dempsey, hurting and out-boxing him, then a much more gifted and accomplished fighter could do better. It's not as if Brennan was Jack Johnson.

Patterson's power was certainly more proven at world level than Firpo's was. In any case it didn't take Firpo power to hurt Dempsey since Carpentier did as well, and I don't think anyone would argue he hit harder than Patterson. Bottom line, Patterson can hurt Dempsey.

Doc Kearns said Dempsey had loaded gloves. Why ignore his claims but give Maxine's the benefit of the doubt? It's not one person's word against another's. It's one person who was shown to be unreliable as a witness (do you believe the other claims she made about Dempsey?) against next day accounts of the fight and Dempsey himself.

Dempsey was able to get to him, he just couldn't put him away. Meehan had fast hands and a busy style. So did Patterson.

Getting hurt by Carpentier and Firpo doesn't bode well for fighting Patterson. Getting out-boxed by Brennan doesn't bode well for fighting Patterson.

He looked pretty sloppy trying to finish off Firpo. Good finisher but not Joe Louis.

And was still 41 and had had two fights in seven years. Given Jess never fought again after Firpo, I suspect he knew his time was up.

Others were more deserving.

I said they were about the same size, and they were. An inch difference in height, a few pounds difference in weight. Dempsey having one inch bigger biceps (assuming his stats are even accurate, and I have my doubts) isn't much of a size advantage. Do you think Dempsey would go into this fight with a meaningful size advantage?

Nevertheless, the fights they did have were considered significant enough that Kearns tried to put the word out that the last decision had been a robbery. A few reporters had fun contrasting their accounts of the fight with Kearns'.

Yes I agree. And Patterson was more dangerous as a finisher than the guys Dempsey was fighting so it works both ways.

Yes one man who wasn't ranked.

What about durability? If Patterson getting KO'd by Johannson counts against him in the durability stakes, why not Machen too?

15. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    And do you believe in this measure?

(Plus you said bigger not equal)