Floyd Patterson vs Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Balder, Apr 4, 2021.

How does this turn out?

1. Floyd by KO

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. Floyd by Dec.

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Louis by KO

74 vote(s)
    96.1%
  4. Louis by Dec.

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    I am going to make a bold prediction.

Floyd wins this by DEC. If Walcott and Charles could do it then Patterson could win as well

Floyd with his speed and abiity befuddles Joe into making mistakes. Floyd probably goes down once, but I do not see how Joe, with his slow feet, can match up against Pattersons blazing hands and movement.

In truth, there is a solid chance Joe gets KOed.

What is your take?

Kamikaze likes this.
  2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    You're using triangle philosophy. However, it really doesn't matter since Joe was no longer prime against Walcott or Charles. On the other hand, I do think Floyd's style would trouble Louis greater than either Charles or Walcott. Floyd would not be easy to jab on or even land anything on. Joe would have to be able to move back and forth with Floyd, and quickly. Louis by close decision or TKO.

3. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Prime Louis, Patterson runs but can't hide. Don't understand why your using the version of Louis that fought Charles and Walcott. He was clearly at the end of the line as far as his career was concerned.

But prime vs prime, Louis eventually tracks Patterson down, stops him with in 10rds. Patterson handspeed and power would make it tough for Louis . But his average foot speed and not great chin or defense would be his downfall.

4. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Patterson was probably the second fastest heavy behind only Ali.

Joe was pretty flat footed. I just see Patterson being to slick and fast for Joe. He wont be able to land cleanly on Floyd with his combinations. Prime or not.

I know it is an unpopular opinion, but I still think Patterson has the right style to beat Joe. Joe did not have the best chin, or defense, and he struggled with other great technicians until his accuracy and power would bail him out.

Patterson has some pop. He Is a good combination thrower himself. Styles make fights. I just think Patterson has what it takes. When did anyone with Floyds speed and peek a boo style ever fight Louis?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Gatekeeper and ron davis like this.
  5. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Have you seen what slower, lumbering Liston did to him? Yet you believe that Patterson would beat Joe Louis???

6. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Floyd is my third favorite fighter but LOL!

Oddone, LoadedGlove and Fergy like this.
  7. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    You've obviously never watched Liston fight if you think he was "lumbering".

robert ungurean and Flash24 like this.
  8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Oh I love Floyd.. But sorry, he's getting kod here.

9. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Balder has a very weird vendetta against Louis. He's only number 5 on his ATG list. What a joke.

robert ungurean and Fergy like this.
  10. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    It was a sarcastic post, a lot of people call Louis that way and he was faster fighter than Liston.

Pedro_El_Chef and swagdelfadeel like this.
  11. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Fair enough.

70sFan865 likes this.
  12. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that even the Louis of the Walcott fights would have demolished Patterson.

13. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Unpopular opinions are welcome. Encourages debate.

Pedro_El_Chef, Gatekeeper and Balder like this.
  14. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Floyd never won any close decisions did he? Maxim, Quarry and Ellis.. for some reason the judges never gave him a break.

swagdelfadeel, ironchamp and Balder like this.
  15. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Louis had problems with movers like Conn and Walcott but if you really watch Patterson especially his first fight with Liston, he liked to fight with aggression and would stand and trade. That would be a huge mistake for him against Louis. When I think of Patterson, I think of his hand speed and his slipping and ducking. I really don't think of him as an outside on his toes guy like Ali. Patterson was certainly fast but speed isn't what troubled Louis, it was movement.

Louis by KO.