Floyd Patterson vs Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Balder, Apr 4, 2021.

How does this turn out?

1. Floyd by KO

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. Floyd by Dec.

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Louis by KO

76 vote(s)
    96.2%
  4. Louis by Dec.

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. jabber74

jabber74 Active Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Louis by first round KO. A repeat of Liston-Patterson.

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Patterson is exactly the type of speedy sharp shooter that might put a 1st round KD on Joe if he wasn't intimidated. Those flashing hands would be a decent chance of catching him off balance and between punches. Joe would come roaring back and the fight would end with Patterson out.

3. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Did you really bump a near three year old thread to post this non-sense? How much time do you have on your hands?

Kid Bacon and Greg Price99 like this.
  4. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    I like watching Floyd Patterson's fights, but I am going to play off of your post, which I fully agree with, by the way:

I think that even the Louis of the MARCIANO FIGHT would have BEATEN Patterson.

5. Pedro_El_Chef

Pedro_El_Chef Active Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2023
    Huge mismatch. Goes something like the Nathan Mann fight. Louis comes out cautious and Patterson leading the offense, takes the first round for aggression.

Louis learns the range by round 2 and drops the shyness. Patterson drops with it.

6. Kid Bacon

Kid Bacon All-Time-Fat Full Member

Nov 8, 2011
    On one side maybe the greatest combination puncher ever, who was able to throw 3-4 punch combos with lightning speed and laserlike precision in the time normal boxers would throw one single punch.

On the other side we have Patterson, an excellent LHW but with a jelly chin.
    Patterson was bingoed by Ingo Johanssen (not exactly a world class puncher) seven times in one single fight.
    Seven.Times.In.A.Single.Fight.
    Let it sink.

Patterson can jump into his bike from first bell on and break the world speed record, but soon or later he will have to stop and trade ... and that jelly chin of him is not going to hold.

Louis TKO sometime during the second half of the fight.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  7. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    This is quite frankly insane.

crixus85 and Shay Sonya like this.
  8. TipNom

TipNom Active Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2019
    I say early on Floyd gets dropped,
    Gets up and manages to floor Louis himself, but eventually Joe comes back and times him with some big shots. Dropping him 2 or 3 more times en route to a KO win.

The main trouble I see Joe having in the fight would come from Patterson's combinations. For every 1 punch Joe threw up close, Patterson would be able to throw 3. He would catch Louis off guard and hurt him a good few times just through overwhelming him with his combinations. Unfortunately for Floyd though, Joe is more durable, hits harder, and is smart and fast enough to remain calm and find his target.

9. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    I have been accused of having MUCH worse opinions than that! :lol:

10. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    :lol: Fair enough.

The Louis who fought Marciano was quite frankly a shell of himself. He was Joe Louis in name only. All he had left by that point,were muscle memory and ring IQ which won him the first 2 rounds or so, but could only take him so far.

Shay Sonya likes this.
  11. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
  12. ron davis

ron davis Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013

13. ron davis

ron davis Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Yeah, and it goes like this, NYSAC,"suspended the licences of the managers and trainers, because they were told to have there fighters, fight Joe in a stand up strait position. They made it easier for Louis to knock them out. Mike Jacobs was the manager of both fighters and controlled all of boxing in NY, including the sportswriters. They never called him out for matching his fighters to fight each other, which is not legal. Jack Dempsey, said, "they don't want Louis to lose." Thomas Rhett, it Goes Like This."

crixus85 and Journeyman92 like this.
  14. themostoverrated

themostoverrated Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2022
    Has there ever been a more one sided poll than this one?

15. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The poll was much closer on the infamous Primo Carnera vs Riddick Bowe thread