Floyd Patterson vs Michael Moorer who takes it

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Apr 24, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Patterson
    This content is protected

VS

Moorer
    This content is protected

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  2. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Patterson will win this with his superior speed and hunger. Moorer had some dog in him, and Floyd would be perfect to bring it out. His frustrating speed , bobbing and weaving, and ability to get in and out will quickly deflate Moorer. Michael will start to doubt and that puts him in a predictable shell.

Floyd will be content to take the decision.

3. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    It should be a 50/50 fight, but Moorer had a bad habit of tuning out mid-fight, which would most likely result in Moorer eating a flush left hook and getting knocked out.

4. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    One way or another, I vote for Patterson.

Reinhardt and George Crowcroft like this.
  5. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Respect for Floyd but I would lean towards a prime Moorer. A prime Moorer would have a seven inch reach advantage at would probably be about 215 to Floyd's 190. I love Floyd's peek a boo style and combination punching but Moorer was a good counter puncher and very hard puncher at that. Both guys were a bit chiney but Moorer got of the deck multiple times in fights and was only counted out against two of the hardest punchers of all time ( Foreman and Tua).

I wouldn't argue against anyone the felt Floyd would win, I just personally don't see it against a prime Moorer. Moorer's excellent right jab, size and greater power would be the difference to me.

6. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    How did Floyd do against southpaws?

Grapefruit and Pat M like this.
  7. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Split decision win for Moorer .
    Floyd looks good in defeat ,never stop s trying to ko his man but MM working his south paw jab racks up the point s
    Floyd gets dropped a couple of times but only flash kds .
    The decision not a popular one ,most thinking that Patterson deserved the win .

Balder and InMemoryofJakeLamotta like this.
  8. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I like the southpaw style and accuracy of the MM hands to get the decision. I think he lands lot of combos in the first and second round and Floyd settles into more of a defensive posture type bout. And he won't win that way.

I also like that right hook of MM to do damage. There is no sparring to prepare for it and I think Patterson is open for that punch. He may not see it coming.

Nice competitive bout and in a 3 fight series, both pickup a loss somewhere along the lines.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  9. Rspen46

Rspen46 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Moorer can be Knocked out and so can Floyd but he is better at avoiding the KO than Michael and his hand speed is too much for a complacement Moorer and he gets Knocked out, Floyd by KO!

10. Eye of Timaeus

Eye of Timaeus Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I've noticed a lot since joining that people on here give moorer no respect. Moorer ko against glass paterson

11. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Floyd Patterson had some very good wins, and also some very one sided defeats exept for the Jimmy Ellis title fight in Sept 1968. He defeated good fighters like Oscar Bonavena, George Chuvalo, Ingemar Johannson, and Eddie Machen. He did have a glass jaw as we saw against Roy Harris, Sonny Liston, and Jerry Quarry in 1967. Moorer is a strong southpaw who was on the verge of defeating Foreman when the big right hand smashed against his jaw. Both were combination punchers, Moorer has the stronger chin, Patterson the more experienced. I see Floyd winning a majority decision in 12 rounds.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  12. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Patterson beat Moorer level guys. Although he never faced a top level southpaw

George Crowcroft likes this.
  13. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Tbh there's very few top level southpaws in HW history.

Only 2 by my count, and that's Byrd and Sanders.

Ibragimov and Moorer are below those 2 imo