Floyd was terrified of Margo

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by TheDon!, Jan 15, 2018.

1. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    A green Paul Williams at that.

2. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Exactly.

To be totally honest... I used to be someone that supported the idea that may ducked marg.

Then... i actually went and analyzed the dates, fights, and time frames involved... and realized it simply wasnt the case.

drenlou likes this.
  3. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Margarito made Cotto look like Willie Pep. Mayweather would rearrange his dome.

Pimp C, Aussie Invader and kirk like this.
  4. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Stupid! How do you know he was looking for Margo? If you notice, Floyd was looking around at one point and a few minutes later, someone he knew came up to him! Maybe he was looking for people knows. No way of knowing what he was looking for.

Pimp C likes this.
  5. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I was pretty critical of Floyd at that time, too. I never liked the idea of the Hatton fight, as I thought there were several more interesting options, and he did leave at a time when the division seemed to be heating up with guys like Margarito, Williams, and Cotto. But in terms of any specific fight happening, there was a small window across the board. And you can't blame Floyd for his temporary absence given the financial success he had on his return. It was calculated, but I don't think anyone could have foreseen the emergence of Pac during his absence.

kirk likes this.
  6. slender4

slender4 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    He wasn't terrified of Mosley.

7. slender4

slender4 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    That's the thing. I mean it took Margarito 10 rounds to catch Miguel Cotto, and the second time he didn't catch him, but Mayweather wouldn't outbox him? Thats not even how Cotto fights.

Pimp C and Rumsfeld like this.
  8. jonze86

jonze86 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2013

Tony is way slower than Castillo+do you take broken hand Floyd or rematch Floyd?time of Maidana fight,Floyd was already washed up. Yes,prime Margo could win the version Maidana fight. But could Margo win between 07-11 when fight was on the table. Absolutely not. Margo is slow and flat footed. Floyd would "run" and potshot 12rounds. Also inside Floyd was already great,so even getting inside of Floyd is not guaranteed success.

And mostly,the $ and risk was not worth it. Boxing is prizefighting,they not box for the amusement of internet trolls.

Pimp C and Barrera like this.
  9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Margarito didn't even have his magical Mexican mullet back then either.

Pimp C likes this.
  10. titanic

titanic Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 7, 2016
    However Pacman beat Margaito into pulp

11. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    This is such rubbish!Floyd would have put Margarito in hospital

12. cippi

cippi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 28, 2009
    margo only knows how to fight one way. an a prime floyd that wont work

13. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Lol no just absolutely not

And as for the thread
    The camera never lies

Just keep doing what you're doing you will get you're fight

Erm never

14. mandatory

mandatory Nuthugger Crusher Full Member

Nov 29, 2007
    This old chestnut.. Ohh boy..

15. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Having followed the saga with great interest in real time;

Much lesser known than the 2006 offer, but he could've fought Tony in fall 2005 instead of Mitchell. Sharmba was eventually pulled from the pool of potential opponents HBO was willing to pay Floyd several million dollars to box, but this was to the chagrin of Arum, who had been eyeing Mayweather-Margarito for Floyd's debut at welterweight. Aside from overpaying Floyd for routine work, and the admittedly sweet and memorable sight of Mayweather whacking Sharmba with a left cross that looked as perfect as if a natural southpaw had thrown it, the Mitchell fight really did nothing for anybody.

And he could've fought Tony on an August 12, 2006 HBO PPV card. He declined and activated a clause to end his Top Rank deal, citing insufficient guarantees for future fights. Bob then used the August 12 PPV date for Rahman-Maskaev II. He avoided putting Margarito on that bill and kept the offer to Mayweather on the table for some months (the fight could have been set for November 4) until he eventually gave up and cut the deal for a Cotto-Quintana/Margarito-Clottey doubleheader with Ken Hershman, fairly rationalizing that Margarito had waited long enough and needed to be active. Floyd boxed Tata on the November date, which appeared to have been his preferred option all along.

One has to bear in mind that this is a Mayweather who'd previously fallen out with HBO over a contract offer made to him, only to return to the network having to box Diego Corrales for the rights to a similar offer. Floyd does have a track record of overvaluing himself against the market. That policy, along with leaving Top Rank, did work out for him ultimately, but there was a certain amount of good fortune and a perfect alignment of favorable circumstances involved in that. If not for the auspices and trickery of Alvin Haymon, that move could have worked out quite differently. Which isn't to say that Floyd didn't work hard (at both perfection of his craft and promotion of his heel persona) and make his own luck to an extent, but just that the "I'm so blessed" cliché has a very real ring of truth in his case.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    tinman likes this.