For his 38th fight Wilder is fighting a bum!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by KingFury64, Jan 17, 2017.

1. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Wilder is not a free agent. He's basically an employee of his handlers and contractually obliged to fight who they put in front of him. I feel a bit sorry for him, he's getting all the stick for fighting these bums when his management his hand picking him these no-hopers because they have no confidence in him.

2. marting

marting Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Wawrzyk doesn't even qualify as a tuneup opponent. He won't make it out of the first round. He looked absolutely petrified against Povetkin. The guy went backwards the entire fight with Povetkin and literally threw no meaningful punches.

Peril and BCS8 like this.
  3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Well if it makes it any better for Wawrzyk, Wilder is absolutely petrified of Povetkin too ;)

The Long Count and Peril like this.
  4. Caper

Caper How about a fair shake? banned Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Na, lol I seriously doubt that, I hate the fact the fight fell through the cracks but Povetkins team is irresponsible and neglectful. I'm not on here ranting and raving about either fighter but I just don't picture Alexander beating someone with Wilders range and athleticism. The question mark will always be Wilders chin but I'm not part of the majority that believe its paper thin....he's about average.

5. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Wilders opponent is worse than any of the 4 heavyweights fighting before him on fight night.. What a joke, when guys on the under card are fighting better competition than the hometown headliner.... You know there's a problem.

6. The Kentucky Cobra

The Kentucky Cobra Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 9, 2017
    That's superficial. Moore was regarded as the best fighter in the world and Marciano's boogeyman going into that fight.

If Wilder defeated the #1 HW contender who also happened to be regarded as a top P4P fighter, he would probably get deserved credit, regardless of his age and pro experience.

Maricano himself was 33 years old in this fight, was at a size disadvantage, and had already suffered numerous career threatening injuries, in fact he had only had one tune up after his split nose was surgically repaired and would retire after this fight while Moore would continue to be an impact player for years to come.

Charles was 32 and 33 in these fights. Charles was only 2 years removed from a Lineal Title Reign and was the #1 rated HW in the world.

Marciano himself was 31 and had already ran up 44 fights in roughly 5 years.

Walcott was the reigning lineal HW Champion and favored to win. He was 38 years old actually. People would call Wilder champ.

In the rematch, Walcott was 39 indeed. If Wilder took on such a fight, they could say he re-matched his toughest opponent to date.

Joe Louis will never be just a guy, and going into the fight he was the #1 contender on a good win streak and favored to win. The fight was billed as a lineal title eliminator. Marciano gave up 30 plus pounds and several inches in reach and height. If Wilder overcame such odds..yeah, it would look good.

Actually at the time, the Layne win was pretty outstanding. Layne had defeated Walcott and had a trilogy with Charles where he managed a win. Layne was a leading a prospect, heavily favored, and much younger than Marciano.

don owens, BCS8, bandeedo and 3 others like this.
  7. Uppercut_Artist

Uppercut_Artist Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Wilder will likely carry this fight just to get in some rounds and test his new and improved hand.
    He probably won't be loading up on his punches as before since he now sees he can injure himself as he injures his opponent.

Shame on Povetkin for messing the show up for everyone and denying the public the chance to see him get knocked out.

8. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    You don't get in rounds against a glass chinned opponent unless you refuse to punch them.

9. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I don't mind Wilder fighting a lower level fighter as his first fight after surgery. It's the
    sensible thing to do.

BUT....the next fight AFTER this one better be against either a title holder or a Number 1
    contended.

Uppercut_Artist and stormy like this.
  10. stormy

stormy Live and Learn Full Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Yeah agreed, stepping up is past due for anyone who calls themselves a champion. But I give Wilder a pass on this next fight ,but only because of the nature of injuries from his very last fight. Just Imagine all the current world champions getting matched against each other on a regular basis! They do all talk a lot about it, but never seem to actually do anything about it. Things seem to be changing though. AJ fighting Klitschko is a risk in spite of WKs age. Wilder Parker doesn't impress me terribly much but its a start at least :)

11. Glassbrain

Glassbrain Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Same as the previous 37

12. don owens

don owens Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 5, 2005
    Wilder is a disgrace to boxing. bad deal all around. and people want to ***** about the Klitschko reign?

13. NakiFan

NakiFan Proud Kiwi Guy Full Member

Dec 5, 2015
    So this is a tune up fight, not a World Title defense?

Is Wilder injured or not? If his hand isn't right, why is he fighting? If you have recovered from injury, you are RECOVERED, therefore you should be able to take on higher ranked fighters, as I'm sure their head is as hard as a top 80 fighter.

There is no doubt Povetkin fk'ed things up for those wanting to see that fight, but don't keep dwelling on the fact that the WBC should have named the next highest ranked fighter to fight Wilder instead, not elevate Arreola from obscurity, magically giving him ranking within the top 15 and not breaking their own rules.

Wilder supporters are just clutching at straws now, and when April comes and goes, Wilder will still be fighting voluntaries and we will be still playing this merry-go-round.

BCS8, UnleashtheFURY and Absolutely! like this.
  14. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    trying to defend wilder by comparing with marciano....is the worst argument i can think of.

BCS8 likes this.
  15. Uppercut_Artist

Uppercut_Artist Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2015
    You're over reacting. This fight is just to test his hand and help him stay busy.
    After this fight they hope to start knocking out the lowest two top contenders; Parker and Joshua.