For the young guys who think boxing hasn't changed...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by slender4, Mar 18, 2019.

1. slender4

slender4 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    And that we are too hard on the modern-day fighters and that "today's athletes are bigger stronger and faster."

A picture is worth...

This content is protected

This content is protected

2. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Wow, what a great thread. As always, so much intelligent insight.

Jamzy ⭐ and CST80 like this.
  3. slender4

Apr 26, 2006
    Why thanks.

I do my best.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Difference in hand and foot speed is huge.

Reinhardt and minemax like this.
  5. slender4

Apr 26, 2006
    I read a theory a few ago that there used to be a lot more nutritional content in the food than there is now . You watch that clip and you wonder. and that was a FIFTEEN round fight.

Badbot, lepinthehood and POTUS like this.
  6. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    90% of Food in America is packaged Genetically modified crap. Of course Spence has an Elite diet but food has only gotten worse. Past Greats didn't even have access to artificial foods that we consume daily.

7. slender4

Apr 26, 2006
    I think a lot of athletes have access to the diet, but do not stick to it. Probably take a handful of pills and eat McDonalds/Burger King fairly often.

BTW, if you know what is good for you, Do Not put that **** in your body. Mc-D's is part of a huge conspiracy. It's going to be revealed soon, and it's really bad.

POTUS likes this.
  8. Gatekeeper

Oct 18, 2009
    A few months back I watched a few rounds of Toney vs Nunn and right after some of the GGG-Canelo snoozefest and noticed the same huge gap in speed.

Smokin Bert likes this.
  9. slender4

Apr 26, 2006
    It's as obvious as night and day. But I suggest it and people here think I'm crazy to suggest that a guy with 13 fights isn't THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!

Gatekeeper likes this.
  10. mthez

mthez Active Member banned Full Member

Aug 12, 2016
    80's fighters were only roids it was the cool thing to do back then- just have a look at 80's Olympic athletes. Everyone was juiced up

Rock0052 and Stefz like this.
  11. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Yes, we've totally never seen this fight before. You did it. I'm convinced.

12. Gatekeeper

Oct 18, 2009
    LOL ! Yes they were on the juice back then unlike now when they're all clean.

C.J., RingKing75 and slender4 like this.
  13. slender4

Apr 26, 2006
    lol

No. Boxing was WAY behind the curve in comparison to other sports. There were a few possible eary juicers but they were heavyweights. I think Ken Norton probably juiced.

The thing that the Russians changed was huge. They learned how to juice WITHOUT PUTTING WEIGHT ON! Which changed the game. Before that, a guy like Pazienza would juice by getting some Winstrol from his cousin at the gym. and as a conequence he kept moving up from JRLWT to SMWT and wound up in the ring with Roy Jones at 5-7.

The Russians/Cubans got their juicing programs from Doctors instead of personal trainers bulking up for bodybuilding contests. Sugar Ray Leonard at 5'10 1/2 was 145 with a day of the fight weigh-in.

Jackstraw and Gatekeeper like this.
  14. DonnyMo

DonnyMo Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Even in the 80's A LOT more guys were boxing in the amateurs and professional ranks. There were many many great trainers still active from the 60s and 70's who understudied with legendary trainers. There just was far more knowledge, much of it has been lost to history.

And yes, guys were much more active. They were never out of the gym. You can only get better at boxing by boxing. Of course this forced them to take of themselves much more between fights.

these guys were ready for super fights at age 23. Today we talk about these 30yr old "kids" who are still growing as fighters. It's a sham!

Many people believe that Garcia and Spence were are the best LW and WW in the world today. The quality of the match isn't even in the same realm as what happened in the 80s.

15. slender4

Apr 26, 2006
    Great. So what did you see watching those two clips (I'm pretending here you did).