foreman vs jeffries

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by pugilist_boyd, May 6, 2008.

1. OLD FOGEY

OLD FOGEY Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Jimmy Young, who in shape weighed something like 210, should not be on this list with the "little men".

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I agree he weighed 213 for his fights with Norton and Foreman,and at 6 2 was around the same size as Jeffries.

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mendoza says:

McVey,

It be difficult for me to post from Monday to Friday from the hours of 8-5PM USA Eastern Standard time zone. I took on more responsibility at work. I did not mean for the quick reply to be pompous. I simply ran out of time. At any rate, here some information you might want to consider.

The younger 60s and 70's version of Foreman said he was a thug and bully type. Foreman tells this to the youth he meet. Foreman also admitted to shaking his knees when he stared down with Frazier for the first time. Some trainers felt George gave up mentally vs Ali, and Foreman was unable to shake the loss to Ali. The older Foreman was more relaxed, poised and wiser, but you cannot combine the best assets of the 60's and 70's Foreman with the 90's Foreman in a Fantasy type of match up. You must choose which Foreman you want in this match.

Mendoza says: Actually Corbett's heaviest recorded weight was 190. Corbett was the type that had little or no fat on him. He could easily have been 200+, but he trained for speed and stamina. In addition, Corbett was 33 when he first meets Jeffries, not 34 as you wrote. How do you know Jimmy Young hit harder than Corbett did? This I must hear. Fitzsimmons, who was in many fights said Corbett has a stiffer punch than he is given credit for.

When people get exhausted they often hallucinate. Foreman's body in the 60's and 70's was just not made for distance fights. George was badly gassed at the end of a 12 round fight with Young, and it was a fight where he was catious not to punch himself out. Some boxing pundits think the 1974 loss exposed Foreman's lack of stamina, but the truth is Foreman owns words say this was on his mind before the Ali fight. In the first Foreman vs Perletta match ( Foreman won a 10 round decision, though it was competitive enough ) his corner man Sandy Saddler told him to go for the Knock out in the last round. The thing is, it was only round nine, and the fight was scheduled for ten. In Foreman's own words, he was very angry at Sadder for saying this, because Foreman knew he was not a good stamina fighter.

Who says all the fights were fought at a slower pace? This is not true. Some were fast paced, others were not. So say the newspapers.

When you going 20 rounds, you can't keep the same punch output as if your going 12 which was the most Foreman ever gone. Or if you prefer one does not run faster Kilometer per hour in a 5K race compared to a 3k race. Foreman's power evaporated as the rounds went on. Jeffries power did not. Foreman did not have much left in the mid rounds vs Ali. And he nearly gassed in round five vs Lyle. I think Jeffries is at least as durable as Ali was. Maybe more so.

I was merely showing that Foreman's chin was dentable by power hitters. In addition, Foreman had been active for quite sometime before he fought Cooney, and the fight lasted only 1 1/2 rounds. Jeffries was out of boxing for 6 years, and it took many flush shot from Johnson before he succumbed. I do not think Foreman could have taken the same shots from Johnson ( Assume he doesn’t land much on Johnson ) and lasted 15 rounds in the desert sun. Not a chance. He would have either gassed or been TKO'd before 15.

A cuts stoppage? I do not think Foreman had one in his entire 81-fight career. Here is something most boxing historians and fans miss. The gloves the old timers used were made from Horsehair, and often became nicked up during the fight. The nicks in the gloves often produced cuts. In those days, the fighters had no enswell or glue ( which pretty close to what cuts man uses today ) to stop the bleeding. If you had a cut or bruise you were often stuck with it until nature did it coruse.

You might want to note that Jeffries approached Fitz in the ring and asked to see his gloves. He said something like this" You didn't cut me up the last time we fought, let me see those gloves " Then Fitz tossed the gloves into the crowd. Fitz likely did something to the gloves and I have a link that says Fitz's handlers claim he did, and Fitz himself never denied it.

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I'll try and adress your long and courteous reply M.What I meant by Foreman 's not being a bully, was he didnt lack heart,I don't think he was a Liston,who caved in when the going got tough.Foreman has said he was scared of Norton too I don't beilive it.I think the rules say we must choose both men in their primes say ,26.But Foreman's later career is relevant in assessing his stamina ,and punchresistance ,I don't think thats unreasonable.
    Corbett was 190 for the second fight as you said ,I was 2 lbs short,Corbett was17 days short of his 34 th birthday.Corbett was actually only 3 lbs over the LH limit when he won the title from Sullivan,until his 2 fights with jeffries when he was in his mid 30s Corbett weighed nearer 180 than 190.I dont accept that Corbett could easily have been 200+,he never scal.ed anywhere near that. I didnt say that Young hit harder than Corbett I said he likely hit harder than you supposed.|I watchwed the Foreman Young fight today ,Foreman as Cosell stated chased Young for the most part,he had a big 7th nearly getting Young out of there,Young gave an interview to Sports Illustrated saying he was kod ,standing up,all George had to do was push him over.I think itas fair to say that fights ,generally were fought at a slower pace, due to the number of rounds they were scheduled for.We dont know how durable Jeffries was against 220 lb heavies,Ali we do,so that is your opinion not a fact.Of the top of my head I think the Chuvalo fight was a cuts stoppage,though I was really talking about swellings and contusions.
    Both men would have the same gloves and be fighting the samre distance so things should equal out.
    Let us suppose that Fitz had loaded gloves ,how would this be accomplished ? And how would his punches damage Jeffries ,but not damage Fitz's hands.Ive boxed with gloves and with taped hands .Plaster of Paris was the rumour,it has been proved this does not work ,in an experiment tried on Cleveland Williams ,by Boxing Illustrated.If Paris was used it would be apparent on his wraps,it was not.without proof this is just speculation. Jeffries marked up badly in several fights.I have read Foremans account of the Young fight in his book today,he keeps repeating how hot it was,he said he missed Young with a big swinging uppercut and as he was going forward it increased the weight of Youngs punch,its interesting that he was up at one taking the fight to Young.After the fight Foreman dragged Gil Clancy into the shower with him and insisted on kissing alll his corner men on the lips ,saying hewas dying for Christ,he was hallucinating because of heat exhaustion.Given that the fight is conducted over 20 rds ,both men would fight accordingly,if over 15 ,they likely fight at a quicker pace.Both men would have a chance of victory,I Foreman a slight edge as he is proven against bigger men and carries more power.