Foreman vs Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by swagdelfadeel, Dec 9, 2015.

1. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Fight 1 - Young George from 1973
    Fight 2 - George Foreman from 1994 who set up Moorer for his right

We tend to think of Foreman as a monster but there wasn't such a great difference in size between the two. Next time you get a chance, look closely at a man who stands 6'0" and a man who stands 6'5". You will see that size is not always the most telling factor in a boxing ring. In terms of style, the difference could be great or subtle.

Foreman stands just 2.5 inches taller and weighs around 15 lbs. more. He's often listed at 6'3" but he's actually 6'4", while Louis is 6'1.5" and weighs around 205 lbs.

Young Foreman threw looping punches in an attempt to overwhelm his opponent. He had a good jab and people often forget that because ALI took him so far out of his game that he fought a very foolish fight. However, Foreman's jab wasn't very fast and Louis wouldn't have too much trouble parrying it and landing his own much faster and sharper jab.

Louis' problem is that he didn't move much. However, he did block well and he would still move enough to remain out of range of Big George's wide punches. Louis is very accurate and Foreman has a great chin. This makes for a very good fight because Foreman would certainly make a trip to the canvas.

Foreman and Louis are both history's best KO artists. Foreman has greater power but Louis makes the best use of the power he has. By round 4, Louis would detect a pattern in Foreman's attack and catch him with a solid right to the jaw, sending him to the canvas. Louis didn't clinch well but he wouldn't have to in this case.

Foreman would make a second trip to the canvas and Louis would make one as well. If Foreman caught Louis early, he would stop him. However, it's not until the fifth round, when Foreman is already a bit winded, that he catches Louis. Louis survives to return the knockdown in the next two rounds, one more later in that round, and end the fight.

Louis by KO in 7.

Against Foreman 94, who is actually more powerful than his younger counter-part, Louis would have to be very careful. If he's caught just once, Foreman could finish him. However, Foreman always took a great shot, even in his younger years. His style, then, just didn't allow for a lengthy fight. However, the older, wiser version paced himself much better. In this case, Louis is very careful, aware of Foreman's power. He has no trouble avoiding Foreman's monstrous blows.

Louis W12 UD

2. LXEX55

LXEX55 Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    The Foreman of the Norton fight ends it inside of three rounds.

moneytheman12 likes this.
  3. 2piece

2piece Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Louis normally didn't take much punishment aside from a few fights. He Was however more open to be hit by one big shot at a time as evidenced by him being knocked down a number of time. When knocked down he would normally get up and fight on to victory. There is one guy who can hit him with that one big shot over and over, and drop him multiple times.

His name is George Foreman.

Foreman KTFO Louis 2 rounds.

4. foreman&dempsey

foreman&dempsey Boxing Addict banned

Dec 7, 2015
    this,foreman would make it look easy, louis was slow as **** with feet, he had a weak chin, the louis fans can talk about his skill for the next 10 years,louis would trade with foreman , he.did vs baer,foreman was naturally 30 pounds heavier, louis weighed 200 pounds foreman was a natural 230 pounder and he never trained weights,.he weighed 225 vs norton, he was much stronger, got a much better chin,and hits harder the stamina is irrelevant because louis does not have the style to last long, actually ali would have a harder time with louis than foreman, big.George by ko early, another troll threat against foreman by this buffon

5. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I think a fantastic combination puncher beats a great one-punch-at-a-time-slugger.

My concern for Louis is that he could be knocked down, and that Foreman was a great brawler with a sturdy chin; hurt him and George lets fly-Ron Lyle had George damn near out of there but Big George rallied and won.

For me, Big George was really dangerous when hurt.

But at the same time, George was always open to counter-punches and Louis was an absolute master at this. And so, so accurate. His timing was off the scale.
    Let's also not forget just how dangerous Louis was when knocked down.

So for me, Louis was the faster more accurate puncher and far, far more disciplined than Big George. He was just a more complete fighter for me. George had this ego about himself that he could walk through punches. He tried this against Ali and paid for it.
    I think Louis does a paint job on him, after probably getting hurt and dropped himself.

6. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Louis was WORLDS faster than Foreman. Louis wouldn't trade with Foreman. "Louis weighed 200 pounds. Foreman was a natural 230 pounder." Here are all Foreman's weights. http://boxrec.com/boxer/90 Show me where he EVER weighed 230 pounds. Louis weighed 205 pounds in his prime. Not 200. So before you start insulting and calling people trolls, how about you get your own facts right.

7. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Both fighters were top five ATG hwt champions. Louis the far greater textbook fighter. You would have to go with the greater all round fighter in Louis to win.

8. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Foreman inside of 5

9. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    louis weighed even 197 in his prime, 198 pounds in his absolute peak vs in the schmeling rematch, 197 vs tommy far,197 vs bradock,198 vs max baer,foreman never weighed 230 pounds? uh?
    229 pounds vs Jimmy young,228 vs pedro agosto, 232 pounds vs dinno denis ,229 pounds vs scott.ledoux... in the amateurs he weighed 229 pounds at 18 ,you.have the video on youtube. louis was faster with hands but he had slow.like **** feet,yes, he would trade with foreman like he did with baer,big idiot.
    you are a troll buffon

10. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    First you are a troll.

Secondly height and weight does not tell you much AND height and weight at this level means next to nothing. If Foreman wins it won't be because he is taller or weighs more.

Third Louis best weight as per Joe Louis was 202. I believe Foremans best was against Norton where he scaled nearly 225 pounds. Louis was the far greater textbook fighter but then again you could say that about him vs any other opponent. Foreman however was the most awesome physical specimen/force of nature I have ever seen in the ring. Supremely strong, terrifyingly powerful, great chin, quick for a man his size, telephone pole jab, could corner any fighter very quickly and add to this he had excellent will to win and killer instinct. He would have been a formidable opponent for any hwt champion past or present. Very few could beat prime George Foreman.

11. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Prime Louis would NOT trade with Foreman. He would box and counterpunch as he did against Baer, Carnera and Galento. Box, Box, sidestep, parry and counterpunch. Then once he hurts Foreman he would go in for the kill.

12. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    i never said that the height and weight were the only motives because foreman would win, i explained it perfectly, if you are a little down sindrome,its not my fault. the size is not a factor when you are a bigbum like carnera,if you use your power,size and strength like foreman, then it is a problem for anyone, stylistically foreman would have big.chance to catch him. and yes, this buffon was making treaths against foreman for years, it is what i call a troll

13. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    louis traded toe to toe with baer

14. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    Yes, yes he is. If you happen to disagree with him, he will howl many infantile insults at you and even tell you to go kill yourself.

Also, he even tried saying Liston weighed 208 pounds in his prime. Surf-Bat exposed him, pointing out that not only did Liston not have any prime fight at 208, he never had ANY fight at 208. Heavy_Handss even said Liston weighed 204 pounds in his prime.

15. swagdelfadeel

Jul 30, 2014
    But were any of those 230 pounds as you claimed? Even if we do give you the benefit of the doubt, those were just a few instances where he weighed that much. That hardy qualifies as natural.