Foreman vs Valuev in Zaire

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Oct 10, 2021.

Who wins in Zaire?

1. Valuev

4.0%
  2. Foreman

96.0%
  1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Haye couldn`t have rocked Ali the way he rocked Valuev.

2. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Why not? Haye was a hard, fast, skilled puncher. And IIRC, it was a left hook that wobbled Valuev.

Other guys managed to hurt Ali to the point of knocking him down with the same punch. Haye's punch didn't even KD Valuev.

3. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Many factors went into the Zaire fight. Ali got the crowd to hate him, got in Foreman's head, taunted him, landed right hand leads to irritate him even more, then countered off the ropes making Foreman think he was wearing him out since that's usually the most dangerous position to be in against a puncher.

I'm not aware of Valuev ever employing such sneaky tactics or psychological warfare. Whenever people make threads saying "replace Ali with X boxer" they're automatically assuming Foreman will just snap and go crazy swinging for the fences when this simply isn't the case. Foreman's game plan was originally to cut the ring off and slow Ali down bit by bit but the gameplay changed mid fight due to Ali's aforementioned psychological tactics. Foreman wasn't swinging wildly in round 1 at all and fought at a measured pace.

I see Foreman taking his time chipping away at the big tree until he stops him late or wins a clear decision. You can look at nearly any other fight, Foreman only swings for the fences when the opponent is badly hurt and helpless.

Man_Machine and cross_trainer like this.
  4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Not sure where you’re going with this but Ali was decked by Cooper and had his jaw broken by Norton. So yeah I think a flush shot from Haye could have rocked him. And let’s not forget valuev was 37 years old, off for a year and in the last fight of his career

Fergy and cross_trainer like this.
  5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I agree with everything you say and it’s all true. But the problem with foreman is that his style relied too much on his physicality and he lacked stamina. So unless he could blast out valuev inside of five rounds he’s inevitably going to tire later against a man who outmatched him physically

Fergy and cross_trainer like this.
  6. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    I recently rewatched Valuev vs Barrett. Barrett was not a puncher and Valuev was so slow he was there to be hit. At one point in round 1 it looks like Barrett momentarily stuns Valuev. But as the fight goes on Valuev wears down barrett, clubbing right hands which aren't particularly crisp are still coming from a 320 pound human being and eventually stops a worn down Monte.

Valuev ever really face a big hitter? Definitely not like Foreman that's for sure. I'd favor Foreman by a lot to stop Valuev, I just don't think Nikolai could stand up to the Foreman assault. His best (maybe only?) Chance wpuld be to survive to the later rounds and hope his jab/clinch-jab/right hand/clinch strategy exhausts Foreman.

cross_trainer likes this.
  7. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Yes Foreman would probably get tired late. But he would have won the earlier rounds with his heavy jabs, body shots, and uppercuts (Valuev would have been a perfect target with his height and stiffness).

Foreman didn't blow through his gas tank against Peralta, he could pace himself unless he got mad a d swung for the fences.

Having said all that, if anyone could whether the storm and turn things around with sheer durability and size, Valuev is one of em. I'd give him at least a 30% chance of wearing foreman down late.

cross_trainer and Balder like this.
  8. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    This is why I question his durability, King kept him away from any remotely dangerous hitters.

Segei, Ruiz, McCline and Barrett are all decent hitters that rocked some tough guys with well timed counters...but they all have well below average ko ratios and the only noteworthy knock out or stoppage among the four I can think of is McCline's flash KO over Grant, which was many years prior to his Value fight.

Chag, Donald, old Holyfield...are certainly non-threatening punchers.

Haye is the only guy who could hit, but he fought so negatively, he at least rocked the big guy with one of the few counters he sat on. Hardly a comparison to the heat Foreman would bring.

How is Valuev gonna defend his body against Big George? Leaning on him won't do it against a genuine HW powerhouse. He's gonna get sawed in half.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Pepsi Dioxide and cross_trainer like this.
  9. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    While I'd pick Foreman it's by no means a foregone conclusion. Valuev was very durable, enormous, and while slow, he could fight at his pace comfortably for 12 rounds. If Foreman goes for broke and fails it would be a horrible beatdown for him.

10. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Valuev is giant with iron chin, but he's awful boxer. Plain and simple. Anyone please watch his fights with 3-0 novice and future jorneyman Taras Bidenko, with 5'9'' cruiserweight Marcelo Domingues who arguably beat him, with shot and old Larry Donald who DEFINITELY beat prime Valuev at least 116-112 but was robbed. Valuev makes Jess Willard look like Larry Holmes in terms of boxing skills.

11. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Wdym Foreman wears out? Valuev would get battered before he gets tired.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    mark ant likes this.
  12. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Foreman wins, more than likely by late Ko. Both men would be absolutely worn out almost but it s George's power that gets him the fight. Valuev soaks up the shots till finally the ref decide s to stop it with the big fella finished on the ropes.

13. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Shavers hit harder than Haye.

14. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Shavers wasn't the only person in Ali's career to hurt him or knock him down.

15. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Foreman would win by KO or TKO within 5 or 6 rounds. Brutal fight. Pointless really.