FOTC Ali V Joe Louis circ 1938?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Oct 13, 2019.

Who wins?

1. Ali?

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Louis?

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    So we have the returning Ali, hoping to win back his title in the one corner.
    And Joe Louis, he who destroyed Max, in the other.
    15 ROUNDS TO DECIDE?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ali loses to another fighter at his best.

So that's 4 now, Frazier, Louis, Holmes and Spinks.

67 Ali beats Louis tho imo,

3. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    nah...no he does not

4. 70sFan

70sFan Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Although I would pick the best Ali against the best Louis, I think the returning Ali would have his hands full with this version of Louis. I am hesitant to say Louis by KO because of Ali's great chin but against an Ali with less movement and all of Joe's weapons, I would say Louis by decision whereas Ali takes more of a beating than he did against Joe Frazier.

5. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Riddle me this.

Did Joe Louis struggle with the speed of Billy Conn?
    Did Joe Louis struggle with the movement of Jersey Joe?
    Did Joe Louis struggle with the ring IQ of Schmeling?
    Did Ali do all these things better than the fine fellows mentioned?
    Did all take flush shots from Prime George Foreman?

For me it comes down to speed and footwork, Ali had much quicker feet than Joe and had the chin to take Joe's best. I like Ali to dance for certain rounds and counter as much as possible without risking much. Ali couldn't dance all night even in his prime and then that's where Joe starts showing what the Brown Bomber could do. He'd catch up to Ali and land on him with the left whilst Ali would be resting, most likely taunting to cover up his momentary fatigue.
    Joe would go the distance, give a good account of himself, take some rounds and make a few close but ultimately lose imo.

Although he pounds the **** out of Ali from the 70s

6. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    riddle me this...did Ali struggle with Henry Cooper...is Joe Louis a better boxer (better ring general as well) than Big George...Did Ali struggle with Doug Jones

c’mon you are better than this. Boxing does not work quite like that.

7. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    I know we will disagree but I see pressure fighters like Marciano or Frazier being the worst style for Louis. Not Ali...but I know this forum and the Ali love (not meaning you) so I know I have a minority opinion...but I am quite comfortable with this one

8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    So if you think pressure fighters are his poison, how do you think Dempsey and Tyson do?

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  9. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Louis beats them both! But much like you with Lewis, I rate Louis as the GOAT H2H. Frazier and Marciano are the only 2 I pick over him. I had Ali/Lewis at 3/4 tied H2H.

10. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    In reality i think any top 10 Heavyweight has an argument for the best H2H and any top 10 HW has an argument over another.

For example, of someone said to me that they'd favour Holmes over Foreman, Marciano, Lewis, Bowe, Liston, Holyfield Louis, Frazier with Ali being a 50-50, that would be a pretty solid case for 1 H2H HW. And I'd see how they got to each conclusion, even if I disagreed.

As for Tyson and Dempsey vs Louis, I'd agree with you that he beats Dempsey, but for me Tyson outguns him and takes him out early.
    But anyways I'll leave it at that as it's completely off topic from the thread.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  11. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I simply cannot see Joe Louis winning this fight, he loses a UD

12. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I'd normally agree with Ali beating Joe, that's Prime Ali for me. I'd go so far as to say The Muhammad that stopped Cleveland would stop Louis in 12. But not quite sure about this version, the lay off didn't do him any favor obviously and he's facing a young prime Louis. I'm actually thinking Ali tho scrape s through only to lose by a close points decision. But hed look battered as he did against Frazier.

13. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Those fights were before Ali won the title.

14. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    No version of Ali beats joe in Prime say 2 of three times.....possible not probable

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  15. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Ali was 5-6 months removed from a 4 year layoff when he fought Frazier in 71. He looked great beating Quarry and scored a stunning KO vs Bonevena but he was not prepared to fight all out for 15 rounds and his bout with Frazier proved this beyond doubt. By mid fight Ali was dog tired requiring him to rest along the ropes. This would have been suicide with such a pinpoint accurate combination puncher such as Louis who was also trip hammer quick getting off. Louis had every punch at his disposal with either fist unlike Frazier who was left hook happy.

Ali however would not be stopped but instead he would do everything he had to do to survive.

Ali would start strong as Louis stalks and slips/parries Ali’s jab with good effect and landing his own in response. At some point within the first three rounds Ali is seriously hurt by a Louis hook. By round 7 it’s an even fight but Ali is exhausted. Ali can’t lay on the ropes as Louis is too dangerous. Instead he clinches and Louis starts to dominate. Here and there Ali wins another round or two by getting on his toes and boxing but he can’t keep it up.

Suspect Ali gets floored once perhaps twice during the last 7 rounds but he lasts to the final bell. The winner is not in question. Louis by U decision 9-6 in rounds.

Prime Ali decisions Louis by a similar margin.