Fowler implying he will move up to 160

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CutThroatFade, Oct 13, 2021.

1. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
  2. moog

moog Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Always felt he should have been at 160ib. I bet making the weight has affected his stamina.

3. chrisbonnie

chrisbonnie Active Member Full Member

Oct 14, 2009
    That and throwing far too many punches.

But no, he definitely looks too big for 154. He's 30 as well, so obviously harder cut when you're not in your early 20's

moog, Furey, zulander and 3 others like this.
  4. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Battle of Smith's leftovers, Fowler vs Williams? I'd back Williams to stop him...even though I rate fowler, I just think he lacks stamina/durability.

5. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    That’s a very good fight and you’d have to favour Williams.

But if Fowler does move up I can see him being matched with puddings until two or three fights down the line before a big domestic fight. Think the best we could hope for in a 160 debut is something like Fowler v Marcus Morrison.

6. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    At Middleweight I would like to see Fowler fight a Mark Heffron/ Conrad Cummings level opponent. If he came through that then him v Felix Cash would be a really good fight.

7. chrisbonnie

chrisbonnie Active Member Full Member

Oct 14, 2009
    No doubt Williams would be the favourite there, he's way too battle hardened in the pro ranks for Fowler.

In my opinion, Matchroom should match him over the next 24 months with good progression but keep him as active as possible, 4 fights in 2022 at the very least,

at his age, he only has a few years left anyway, so with him starting late he needs to be active to try and play catch up.

Oneirokritis and moog like this.
  8. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I agree he 100% has to move up he's a big 154 and cutting that much weight (even in a long ish camp) post 30 will severely impact your performance on the night.

I think Fowler ultimately turned pro too late, was badly managed in terms of shocking opposition, and now won't have too long to adjust to the division before he has to take a harder fight, given his age. Yes, his stamina will improve, you would hope his punch resistance too BUT he will lose much of his size advantage and he will be fighting career middle weights who have had many years fighting in that division.

For what it's worth, Felix Cash would absolutely obliterate Fowler. He would take him out in 3-4 rounds max. Hits far too hard and is too quick for Fowler to cope with.

Oneirokritis, DramaShow and zulander like this.
  9. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Writing is on the wall for Fowler now i'm not so sure he's going even get a title of any kind despite the early hype.
    His opposition has been awful and he's lost his 2 biggest fights.
    Had an opening Vs Smith in was it round 3? But didn't put his foot on the gas and let Smith off the hook.

Hefferon would be a decent match up. Marks going to come straight at him and bring some early punching power so Fowler might have to box his way in for a bit but it would be a better experience than fighting a latvian plumber again.

Oneirokritis and moog like this.
  10. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Fowler has loads of amateur experience, was at the Olympics over 5 years ago and has been a pro 4.5 years. The reason he lost isn't because of weight or it being too soon, it's because he's not very good.

Oneirokritis, Mugen38, dryzer and 2 others like this.
  11. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I always thought he was too big but the way he spoke about making the weight easy made me think otherwise. Could be a good move for him but I don’t see him making a dent at the top level - Fowler still hasn’t even challenged for a British title and that has meant he is stuck jumping up and down between levels being either too high or too low.

12. Willis Brown

Willis Brown Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I don’t see Fowler making a splash on the World scene at Middleweight at a push depending who is around he may win a British title but I wouldn’t bet on that. He might have an improved energy system at 160 but I just don’t rate his technical ability to complete at championship level.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  13. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    Agree, its unlikely he will ever get to genuine world level now. But could still potentially have a good career and some big fights at British/Euro level.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  14. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    He’ll probably beat a nobody, one or two domestic lads then beat Eubank... trust me. Off the back of Eubank’s dad’s name he’ll get vacant shot or something. I think if it wasn’t for all the names at his weight Smith and Fitzy in particular he’d have been at 160 from the start.

I truly hope he carries himself like he did In the build up to the Smith fight. Gained a lot of respect for him During it and in the fight. I’ll look forward to supporting him now if he doesn’t revert to the way he has been over the last couple of years. I remember his social media whilst he was still An amateur and he seemed genuinely sound whilst communicating with his fans and giving them time of day. He was being respectful, humble and more eloquent from day one of the announcement of his last fight as he half knew what was coming. He didn’t want to be the mouthy gob shite who gets a hiding after it. That’s bad enough anywhere but not when you lose to someone from the same place. This makes me like him more though as it shows he’s got morals and knows the score, unlike so many.

15. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Probably a good move tbf...its similar with the other guy who got beat from david avesan recently. Cant remember his name. Their both skilled fighters that dont have the tank to carry their skill for enough rounds when they get put to the test.

I dont see the point in boiling these type of guys down. The guys you want to boil down is the guys who slug it out and use their weight to their advantage.

Fowler probably isnt good enough regardless but you,ve no chance if your always going to burn out after 3 or 4 hard rounds. Same with the guy that fought avesan. He,d be a proper handful if he could keep up his workrate.