Frampton's next opponent

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Smudge_, May 20, 2018.

1. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Quigg would appear to be the only name available in August. not sure frampton would want to give him a rematch though and the 1st fight was pretty crap.
    maybe Carl would fancy knocking him out with Quiggs new defend with his face style.

2. B.A.S.

B.A.S. Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Going by the post fight interview with Frampton I really think him and Frank will part ways. Sounds like he wants Warrington in Belfast and Frank doesn't want that fight yet, as someone said he'll be wanting as much profit out of the two of them as possible.

Cited Warrington not going in to such a hard fight after a tough one v Selby.

lencoreastside likes this.
  3. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Warringtons win got rid of ANY excuse for Frank not delivering a title fight in Belfast for Carl as he committed to do all along. Had selby won he might have a case " I don't control selby..or Russell...or LSC etc" but with his own man, Josh now holding the belt I can't see how he can weasel out of delivering for Carl as promised...and if he does it's likely Carl has a strong case for breach of contract etc etc.

4. broadley2

broadley2 New Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2007
    To be fair to Warrington, he's just delivered in the biggest night of his career after a 16 week camp! Not to mention a very hard fight that nobody expected him to win. Surely there's no way he would be ready for another huge fight in 3 months time? Plus he's the champion and Frampton isn't mandatory so Frank won't be able to force him to take the fight in Belfast. He just pulled in 20K fans, I'm sure he'd have a say on where any fight with Frampton would be

5. broadley2

Nov 4, 2007
    Any chance Carl could go up to Super Featherweight for this fight in Belfast in order to pick up a title at a 3rd Weight? Pick off the weakest champion and then come back down to Featherweight for Valdes around Xmas? Then unification with Warrington/Santa Cruiz next May?

6. SnoopyboyM

SnoopyboyM Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I think Frampton Warrington will definitely happen next summer it’s a huge stadium UK fight BT will demand it on their PPV channel

broadley2 likes this.
  7. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Carl Is hardly being taken for a Mug fella. Frank has done a decent job with Frampton, who’s intelligent enough to know, that boxing especially world championship level doesnt usually come together like clockwork like a football fixture. He wanted Windsor Park, franks delivered that - I don’t know whether frank committed to a world title fight, but of course it has to be done in the summer period to suit the stadium which may not suit what the other big fighters are doing. As somebody mentioned, Valdez having a
    jaw busted isn’t something you can plan for, whoever, frank did get Carl the interim title...

Will be interesting to see what frank/MTK come up with.

stittyb, dryzer and broadley2 like this.
  8. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    He has got him a sold out fight for an interim title with a future hall of famer, and secured a date at Windsor Park. People acting like he has got he a fight with a plumber in a leisure centre or something.

Things have gone against them a bit on the next opponent, it is partly bad fortune.

broadley2 likes this.
  9. broadley2

Nov 4, 2007
    Agree! No chance Carl could pop up to Super Feather for this August and fight for the vacant IBF title?

10. stittyb

stittyb Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Here's a thought; Valdez is WBO champ and has a broken jaw. Frampton is WBO interim champ. In light of the broken jaw, and given F rank's cosy relationship with the WBO, might Frampton be upgraded to full champ for August, with Valdez being champion in emeritus?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that happened. Solves a lot of problems

broadley2 likes this.
  11. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Am I wrong in saying they are going to step Valdez up in weight anyway?

12. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Windsor won't work with "paddy palooka" as an opponent, Einstein! Northern Irish fans are a discerning lot, and if it ain't a quality fight (and probably if it ain't for a real proper world title) they, and Frampton will NOT be happy. Carl's had two "warm up fights" now. His next needs to be for a title. He doesn't want to be faffing about at his age. Geddit?

Oh and as for things falling into place like clockwork, I'm sorry but the IBF world title falling into your promoters lap just in time for August is about as close to "clockwork" as it gets, no?

13. broadley2

Nov 4, 2007
    Its too early for Warrington though after just winning his first title in a tough fight! Even Jamie Moore said no chance it would be Josh as he needs time to soak it up and recover. 3 months between the fights is nowhere near enough. Frank can't force Warrington to take the fight in August in Belfast! He is the champion as well with a big home following so why should be go to Belfast if it doesn't suit him?

14. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Many of the old greats would turn in their graves if they heard someone say 3 months between fights isn't long enough!
    For a super fit youngster like Josh 2 weeks rest should see him fresh as a daisy. Besides, what else will he do? Fight someone else? Who? He might well get beaten if he does that ...and then where will he be? Remember he's just the had one win at top level ...and even at that we suspect selby was a shadow of himself, right? In the fight before that Josh was fairly lucky to get past a very faded Kiko Martinez. It's the bird in the hand and Josh should take the Frampton fight now while it's there. It's all set up for him. Josh would get well paid and he's young enough to come again if he loses.

15. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    I've heard that. But Valdez doesn't look big enough for 130. He was dwarfed by Scott Quigg.