Frank Bruno (prime) vs Anthony Joshua

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by yesihavearm2, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Pro Punter

Pro Punter Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Lennox Lewis and Tyson at their peak v Wlad, Tony Dosh present version , Tyson Fury and Wilder.

Cannot see much any of the current crop lasting long.

2. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    You're prob right but Joshua and Wilder are just titlists at the moment and would fare ok against the likes of Hide, Morrison, Bentt, Seldon, Moorer, McCall and Akinwade IMO.

Not every title holder faced Lewis, Tyson or Holyfield.

3. Pro Punter

Pro Punter Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 12, 2014
    The three above at a different level to the Klitschko era and the current belt holders.

McCall would be a very dangerous opponent for Tony Dosh.

Tony Dosh does have real potential but still questions until he faces a live opponent - I don't class Whyte as anything but Julius Francis type cannon fodder.

My gripe with Tony Dosh is he looks ready to face all the current crop now so get in and show the world FFS.

The big UFC contest last night was a cracking fight with 2 evenly matched fighters and a stark contrast to the one sided pony Boxing shown on Sky these days.

4. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    somebody asked me about this match up..and well Bruno at any stage would be in HUGE trouble. First he didnt have light feet and stayed in one spot,he also relied on his jab which is bad news if he fights mobile guys.Joshua isnt stationary ,he is ALWAYS on the move creating range to set up everything. The thing with Bruno is he was slow in following his jab and was not a good counter puncher. His biggest strength was his ability to grab and hold being much stronger wearing guys out ( He TRIED this against Tyson).

Bruno against Joshua ? He would be hit hard /fast and often ...this will mimick the Breazeale fight really and Bruno wouldnt take that much punishment.He lasted 5 rnds with Tyson because Tyson rarley let his hands go on the inside in clinches. Not only would Joshua make Bruno look small he wiould literally have all the advantages here,from speed to power and anything in between.

Lewis vs Bruno

Bruno outweighed lewis by 10 pounds...who was about slightly under 230 and Bruno under 240,this was also pre Steward Lewis,who was still only at 24 fights and didnt counter jabs as well when thrown at him,Bruno had a long lean jab and thats why he gave Lewis trouble bc Lewis himself worked through the jab.....See...Joshua does not fight like this. im using Lewis bc its the closest thing to Joshua that fought Bruno.

Basically you would have a MUCH faster starter with great speed who will out muscle Bruno( something Lewis couldnt do) ..........and Bruno always slowed after rnd 5/6....fighting 245/250 Joshua will tire him out far quicker before those rnds.

The main differance which actually seperates Bruno from Joshua besides speed is Brunos inferior narrow stance ,straight line style which he had little head movement and walked straight lines making him easy to figure out. Joshua has the ability to go right in on you after a jab with speed combos and usually turns square on his opponents where he gets maximum leverage and better balance with more targets to hit......

Joshua would get a K.o before rnd 5,at this point in time. Bigger/ better /smarter more skilled in every category!

Joshua 4th rnd K.o...he does one up on Tyson bc his length will get to Bruno quicker. :ggg

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  5. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Bruno would hyperventilate like he did in Tyson II. KO2.

6. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I know this is daft but it fascinates me that Bruno was (is) only 6"3. Maybe because I was only a kid but I used to think he was huge. Compared to some of the heavyweights today he would be on the smaller side. I could be wrong but I think Lewis was his tallest opponent at 6"5?

pow likes this.
  7. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008

I still maintain that Bruno would be very dangerous for Joshua in the early rounds if he establishes the jab like he did against Lennox.

You know what, I actually see some similarities between Joshua and Bruno but not in a good way. They both seem to freeze when they get hit/hurt like the wind has suddenly left them. I guess you can't train for that.

N17 likes this.
  8. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I noticed that too, it's almost like they have a little short circuit and freeze for a second and in that moment seem very vulnerable.

9. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Well some freeze but that comes with experience for some...joshua has VERY fast reflexes..only time will tell.I think at times he assesses the situation? will look more closer...must be miniscule otherwise would have noticed that to the extent it would pose problems.

Bruno would be dangerous for anyone,he could punch....my old trainer (brieifly) Bill sharkey in the 90's who fought Mike Weaver in the 80's told me Bruno was the hardest hitter he ever fought ...Sharkey wasnt a big guy but tough....I will tell you Joshua is just to much for anyone who cant keep on him..the footwork that Joshua has would get him out of positions if NEEd be....re read my post it all holds true!

10. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Are you suggesting prime Bruno > 41W.Klitschko?

11. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    AJ wins via KO inside 5 rounds

Bruno always went into blind crab mode when hurt, and AJ definitely lands and hurts him

AJ has already proven to be on a different level to anything Bruno ever achieved, and this is coming from someone who was around when Bruno was fighting and was the peoples favourite.

Bruno is going to get over rated by folks here in the same way Tyson is, because they grew up watching him.

12. yesihavearm2

May 30, 2008
    Take a look at when that post was made

pow likes this.
  13. yesihavearm2

May 30, 2008

As I said in previous post, I see similarities in the way Bruno and AJ react when hurt and that's not good. Both freeze/ go into a shell.

I agree Joshua would win this fight 8/10 times, but I maintain Bruno would be very dangerous early on as he would be for any HW really. Both are top fighters.

14. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    We can see a clear difference in mandible and recoverability from that Wlad right hand.

AJ got up at the count of 8 and survived easily against Wlad.

Bruno would have been dropped again and again, had he got up from that Wlad right hand, and thenit would have been stopped.

AJ has already proven he is a better survivor in the ring than Bruno was when hurt.

15. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Isnt this racist hunchback banned yet? Mod ban this troll constant race references

Silly billy likes this.