Frank Bruno questions...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Russell, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Supposedly Mr. Bruno had some of the most sickening one shot power in boxing. Didn't have the combination or speed of Tyson, but just as much if not more single shot power.

I've heard that said more than once around here. What examples of it are there?

Making McCall go into a shell?

Shocking Tyson pretty bad?

Whhhhat?

2. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Bruno had a clubbing power, he lacked snap in his punches. A lot of his KO's came from hitting people in the temple, and he was very good at stopping those fighters rated 15 to 30 in the world who normally take people the distance. But against the top level all he really had was his incredible physical strength.

If you could survive the first half dozen rounds, and you were anything resembling world class, you beat Bruno.

But to answer your question the defeat of Gerrie Coetzee was probably his most devastating and his defeat of Bugner his most impressive.

3. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Coetzee didn't have an iron chin, but it was solid enough. His KO losses usually came late when he had gassed (references: KO by 8 Page and KO by 13 Weaver) and Bruno took Coetzee out in the first with a huge right hand that had Coetzee out cold, lying halfway out of the ring. It was a very impressive KO win for Bruno.

In addition, he is one of maybe 3 guys to really rock a rampaging Tyson with a great left hook in the first round. I think he really shook up Mike more than anyone else managed to do in the 80's with that shot.

4. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    And if he was not petrified of Tyson, he may of done even better!;)

5. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    True.

I think Bruno's problem is that he froze up and let his fear get the better of him. I still think either way he loses, but he could have been more competitive had he mastered his fear.

6. groove

groove Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    weaknesses - predictable, slow footwork, bad stamina in later rounds, not very smart fighter when in trouble or when he had Tyson in trouble failed to follow up and take advantage, lacked confidence against the best.
    strengths - good jab and powerful right hand, always in great shape, likeable fella. Maybe make the top 50.

7. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin You dipstick Full Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Very much musclebound and therefore to tight.
    Not much straight punching and no infight ability
    Extremely likeable fellow though

8. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    His left jab is the most powerful i have ever seen.....knocked some guys out with it....:hi:

9. bigG

bigG Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2006
    ..he would wreak havoc in todays division....

10. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    To all but the top five fighters...

Reinhardt likes this.
  11. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 16, 2004
    You think the top 5 today would have an easy time with him? :huh

12. ThePlugInBabies

ThePlugInBabies ♪ ♫ Full Member

Jan 27, 2007
    the only one i'd be nearly 100% confident of working frank over is wlad, but oh boy if frank lands on that awful chin, then it's night night for waldo.

13. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    I think they would probably beat him; but at the very least Bruno would most certainly not 'wreak havoc' with them

14. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    No, Bruno's right hand was a clubber, not a snap punch. Bruno would give Wlad a moment or two of worry, but (sadly) I would expect Wlad to win in about 11.

15. silverking

silverking New Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Coetzee turned up for the payday,very definitely fat man on his holidays. He was out of shape & didn't seem interested. A couple of years previously he would have handled Bruno.
    Likewise Joe Bugner was well past his best. Thoughout his career Bruno was very carefully matched. Terry Lawless his manager, was renowned for picking 'soft touches' for his fighters.
    Frank was a good puncher & physical specimen but never good enough to beat the top guys.

Reinhardt likes this.