Frank Bruno V James Toney?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Toney, who ripped Holyfield to bits
    Facing off against Bruno of the first Tyson fight?
    Frank didn't do all bad in there against Tyson, even though the result was never in doubt, but how's he fare against Lights out?
    One thing Toney has here is confidence, but could he do the same to Bruno?
    12 rounds, Richard Steele ref, Las Vegas, Nevada setting.

2. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Bruno by decision.

Holyfield was fighting from memory by the time he faced Toney.

Toney doesn't have the power to hurt prime Bruno.

Frank will controll from the outside with the jab

On the inside he is much stronger.

Toney will try to set traps

Bruno will outhustle Toney.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  3. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Toney by close decision. More skilled

quest00 likes this.
  4. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Toney by UD. Bruno is to stiff and predictable to be effective against JT. Toney was able to handle the power of both Rahman and Peter when he was grossly out of shape. Had he been the Toney that faced Holyfield at 219 instead of the fat slob he showed up as in those fights he would have one easily.

The Toney that fough Holyfield wins this one. The post Achilles torn Toney that was fat struggles.

5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    But do you see frank being able to do that for 12 rounds? We know Toney could and also be dangerous In latter rounds. I do agree with Frank being the stronger and perhaps controlling the fight with the Jab, my concern would be, can he dictate a fight for that duration. He beat Mccall over the distance but half the time he was in a daze, but by 10 Frank was looking pretty wobbly in there. Toney may not have the extreme power of a Tyson or Lewis or even Witherspoon, but he's a intelligent fighter and he'd spot a fading Bruno. Just a thought.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  6. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Toney was super, super slick. And even way above his best fighting weight, and looking like the Pillsbury dough boy he could be too slick for the limited Bruno.
    In skill level Bruno wouldn't be on the same planet as Toney . Bruno would have to do what he never did and that's attack, attack, and attack some more , body punch,( Because he would never land cleanly on Toneys head, he telegraphed his punches) depend on his physical ability to take Toneys counters wear Toney down , stop him late in the fight. Could Bruno sustain the type of attack he would need to get by Toney? I think he could. One thing about Bruno he always seemed to enter the ring in great shape. I lean slightly on Bruno's favor in this one.

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think Bruno could replicate what Peter did

Bruno via decision

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  8. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
  9. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Toney. going away.

I am convinced Bruno would not land to this guy's head at all. A horrible connect % and he'd be countered to death. And that predictable set of punches Frank threw is all wrong against this guy. Just way too basic to land. And if he even bothered trying to go to the body, toney would just not miss his counters.

Big question would be if Frank could make it to the finish line. Especially when he gets fatigued and becomes more predictable. Maybe the Wembley crowd could see him make it to the end---but I think He'd be swollen and cut from the clean counters.

Make Frank fight in Vegas---as if Duff signs the fight---and he is no kind of road warrior and gets stopped.

10. THE BLADE 2

Jul 14, 2009
    Irrelevant. This is the Holyfield version of Toney. 3 years younger and 20 pounds lighter. By the way, Toney did beat Peter the first time.

11. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Toney was very skilled and could really fight but he was no HW .Bruno hit very hard and his jab was one of the hardest in HW history .much as I rate James I can not see him seeing the final bell at some point he will get hit very hard .Peter and old Holy were no where as dangerous as this version of Bruno.

12. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    The size and power of Bruno would be a problem for Toney. Frank gets underrated, not so much here, I think many give him props. a lot of People say he slow and mechanical but at the end of the day he has given a few all time great heavyweights a hard nights work. He can land those punches, Lewis said himself, he thought Bruno was slow and easy to hit but it’s different being in there with him. Toney is greatly skilled but giving away too much physically imo, different weight class....

lloydturnip likes this.
  13. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I suppose. But beating THAT version of Evander isn’t very compelling to me either. To beat Frank you had to be physically imposing and pound him to submission. This generally took the work of a pretty heavy puncher and in most cases a fairly large man. Even then he gave some of those guys problems. Toney was certainly more skilled and lord knows very durable. Still not sold on him though.

lloydturnip likes this.
  14. THE BLADE 2

Jul 14, 2009
    Fair enough

mr. magoo likes this.
  15. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    So by this rational do you think Bruno beats Marciano, Patterson, Charles, Frazier etc. All of whom were smaller than the 219 pound version of Toney that beat Holyfield? If the 219 Toney was to small to deal with Bruno than surely the 185 Marciano would get destroyed by this rational. I tend to think the Toney that routinely beat the **** out Lamon Brewster at wild card and handled Rahman and Peter would be more than a match for Bruno.