Frank Bruno vs Bert Cooper

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, May 17, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    If they fought in the 90's, who would have taken it?

mark ant likes this.
  2. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    After a shaky start,I think Bruno would get behind his jab and soften Cooper up and stop him in about 8/9rds.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  3. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I feel it would have gone like the first Bruno Tyson fight because Tyson was more basic than usual in that bout and Cooper was a basic version of Tyson, however Bruno`s reach and jab would be a major problem for the much shorter Cooper and he never showed any ability to evade the jab and counter, if Bruno could follow up one of his jabs with a fast right it would be all over, one way or another Bruno would build up an early lead on the limited Cooper, but if Bert is still in there in the mid to late rounds Frank would gas.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Bruno

I'm a fan of Cooper (RIP) but he was really more of a journeyman with some good skills and power who had that round of glory against Holyfield whereas Bruno was a dangerous contender who did very well against Lewis, Witherspoon and Bonecrusher Smith before gassing/freezing when hurt and he has that good win over McCall.
    Interesting fight that could go either way but I'll go with Bruno's size, skill and power over Cooper.

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Bruno was more heavily muscled than most boxers. That may have played a part in his wearing down in fights.
    Cooper broke the undefeated Ray Mercer's jaw and split lip open. When he was clean, focused and in any kind of shape he would probably stop Bruno. Frank didn't squander his talent like Bert did he had his share of flaws. Cooper would force Bruno punch him off. Both at 100 im thinking The Smoke gets to him.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  6. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Yes and Mercer and Bruno had similar power too, I don`t think Frank could have taken the shots Cooper took off Mercer in that bout, I wonder why Mercer and Bruno never met.

7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    You make some good points, fight could go either way for sure.

8. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    I'm biased as well in favor of Cooper. He just passed.
    I first saw him in '86. Willie DeWitt we was a 'somebody'. He was a big heavyweight. Network was ready to light the candle for him. All he had to do was beat Frazier's nephew. Bert messed DeWitt up. Blood everywhere.

The sky was the limit but the rest of the story didn't work out.

Smokin Bert and Gatekeeper like this.
  9. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Probably Bruno, but he’d have to clinch his way to victory like he did against McCall, since Bruno wouldn’t hold up too
    long taking flush shots from Cooper.

mark ant likes this.
  10. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    What the ****, Bert Cooper died? Damn...

11. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You late. He died May 10.

12. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    What’s he’s late for? Bert ain’t coming back anytime soon.

13. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Bruno. Even if Bert came into fine shape he's not getting past Bruno's huge frame and strong jab. Carl Williams boxed Bert's ears off and stopped him late. Bruno isn't as good a boxer as Carl but has superior power and can box with the best of them. Also, Bowe destroyed a very good Cooper in 2 rounds. Bruno might do it in 5.

lloydturnip likes this.
  14. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    I think Bruno would need to do it in the first 5 or 6 rounds. By that point the pressure would start to show on him. Frank had a vunerable chin too. That sneaky right hand of Cooper's could drop a steer.
    Bruno could hurt Cooper I'm sure but the opposite is true as well. Bruno's gas tank and chin let him against Cooper's pressure

mark ant likes this.
  15. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Cooper did well against smaller heavyweights. Bruno was big. I think this works out well for Frank. I think Bruno rocked him often and stops him in about 3 or 4.. Too big a heavyweight.