Frank Bruno vs. Gerry Cooney

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Thread Stealer, May 15, 2010.

1. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
  2. Coetzeefan101

Coetzeefan101 Member Full Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Cooney was able to give a more superior boxer in Holmes 13 tough rounds and took Holmes' best shots in the process. It would be a competitive fight, but Cooney's quicker start would earn him a KO in 4.

3. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears I own a store n work 4 everything I got Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I don't know, taking Holmes' shots, and Bruno's shots are not the same thing.

4. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Yeah, but Valuev hits harder then both these guys right?

5. ThinBlack

ThinBlack Boxing Addict banned

Sep 18, 2007
    If Gerry got to Frank early, I would say Gerry wins this quick, but I could see Frank mauling him later than 3 rounds, and taking the sixth to ninth round stoppage.I think that, and with the fact that Frank fought more quality boxers, happens.

6. JohnnyB

JohnnyB Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Frank wasn't great in my view and lost to every decent fighter he fought. Nice hype job by Mickey Duff. Cooney was more like the real deal and a very aggressive man.

Let's face it Franks sole weapon was his ramrod job/straight left. If the fight goes past 7 or 8 rounds Franks body building physique is in dire need of oxygen.

7. MRBILL

MRBILL Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Good match.... Cooney of '81 or '82 probably waxes Bruno of '86 to 1989... Cooney had a decent jab that pawed more so than stuck, yet it connected... Bruno too owned a nice jab... However, Cooney seemed more aggressive against "Shy" fighters and I feel that would be the key... Cooney gets the TKO over Bruno in round 6.... A good fight while it lasts...

MR.BILL

8. hookfromhell

hookfromhell Well-Known Member Full Member

May 5, 2011
    I believe Bruno wins the battle of the jabs and ouboxes
    Cooney. Bruno Ko7. If Cooney catches Bruno with a left hook
    Bruno would freeze qnd get stopped on his feet. I think Bruno
    gets to Copney first though.

9. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    When I watch what Cummings did to Bruno at the conclusion of round one, then look at the hook Gerry was able to move Foreman with near the end of the opening stanza (in a situation which George was highly motivated for, and probably at his "quickest" during his second career), I have a hard time seeing Frank being able to get out the gate. Cooney was never floored for the count by an initial knockdown, or stopped on his feet abruptly like Frank was against Lennox.

Philipp Brown would be an interesting one to ask about this. He was taken down by Gerry's underrated right in round four for his first defeat at the end of September 1984. Two months later in his very next outing, Brown took Bruno the ten round limit at Wembley. (McCall would be the only other opponent of Frank's to ever hear the final bell.)

10. MAG1965

MAG1965 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Dec 1, 2008
    This has a Cooney win all over it. Cooney had a decent jab and I think his power would knock out Frank, whose chin was not the best. Cooney KO 7.

11. Danmann

Danmann Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Bruno, who was way tougher thean he gets credit for. No way Cooney stands up to Tyson in losing effort as Bruno did.

12. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    cooney by tko he would catch frank and then frank would sag at the knee's fall back on the ropes and be saved by the ref after takeing some hard shot's

13. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I think Bruno's chances are improved greatly if he could get the fight in his backyard. Make Cooney go to England and have all those Wembley fans cheering him on, so maybe he can come out with the win. but if Bruno takes the fight at Madison Square, I think Gerry blows him out in 1 or 2 rounds with that left uppercut. No home cooking means no win for Bruno and even with it, it'd be maybe a 50-50, because who knows how well Cooney could have handled the role of being a road warrior. I sure don't think he'd be a good one whatsoever and that kind of thing gives Bruno a good chance.

14. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    :lol: i didn't catch on to the valuev thing yet

15. janitor

janitor Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that Cooney is the single most over rated fighter in fantasy fights on this forum.

I don't rate Bruno particularly highly relative to other posters, but he is clearly far more proven than Cooney.

I can see few reasons for favouring Cooney here.