Frank Bruno vs Jimmy Young

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Devon, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Who wins this matchup?
    My take: If Lewis could not outbox or outjab Bruno then young wouldn’t and Bruno’s chin wouldn’t be much of an issue here because Young was a weak puncher, I see Bruno winning on points
    I know I sound stupid saying this, but I think bruno had a good chin, the issue was he had poor survival skills, bad recovery and bad stamina, Lewis hit him with everything and Bruno didn’t look like he was going down, he was only dropped against mike Tyson, James smith and Tim Witherspoon who were all huge punchers and Tyson hit him with some big shots at the end of the first fight and Bruno was stopped on the ropes and didn’t go down at that point

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Lewis wasn`t that good before Steward improved him and Foreman was far better than Bruno, Young was a more proven fighter than Frank so probably would have beaten him. Jumbo Cummings hurt Bruno badly and Cummings was just a journeyman.

3. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Young whupped better men than Bruno, by far.

Reinhardt and WAR01 like this.
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Young has an extremely good chance in this one. Bruno a bit stiff and methodical and Young didn't mind that one bit.

Fergy, WAR01, mr. magoo and 1 other person like this.
  5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Yeah something tells me Jimmy would weasel his way to a decision over old Frank.

Fergy, WAR01 and JohnThomas1 like this.
  6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I think so Goo.

WAR01 and mr. magoo like this.
  7. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Bruno while strong guy was ordinary, Young would box his ears off!

8. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    The only way a (prime) Young loses this is if he's out of shape or uninterested and drops rounds due to inactivity or not throwing enough. Bruno is only slightly better than the similarly hulking Lyle whom Young took to school twice. Bruno did have a great jab and fought at a more measured and cautious pace than some of the heavy hitters Young faced, but he didn't do anything particularly remarkable or clever. He was a very straightforward, albeit incredibly strong, boxer. Young by a clear decision.

9. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Young>Ezzard>Bruno

10. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Ali, Norton, Shavers so many ringside observers claim, and dokes and ocassio I would say to name some

William Walker and Reinhardt like this.
  11. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Young s still there in the last couple of rounds, that's when Frank's feeling it worse. Either Bruno clings on for a decision win or Young stops a tired Bruno.

12. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Bruno's 82 inch jab would win him the fight. I don't see Young getting past it. Bruno came unstuck against punchers, but was usually in front when he did get stopped.

13. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Young by far, Bruno is stiff ,he'd have a hard time nailing Young

William Walker likes this.
  14. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Lyle was better than Bruno imo, but Young lost a lot of bad decisions as well as some close ones. Supposedly he beat Shavers in the 2nd fight only 2 get a draw. He whipped Ali. His fight with Norton and his rematch with Ocasio were very close, and I personally think he won the Norton fight. The Ocasio fight could have gone his way as well.

15. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004