Frank Sanchez is the prime example of why ringcraft is more important than technique.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Rollin, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2021
    I love the guy. He has that slick cuban style, very active, varied guard ranging from standard high blocks, to L and X guard sprinkled with disciplined footwork and cerebral positioning.

That being said, there are things far more important that technique alone. There the atoms of the universe of boxing: rhythm, timing, distance. Bivol is one of the many reminders of the fact that simple efficiency of fundamentals will triumph over colorful array of misapplied techniques. Inoue is another. Both are obviously elite fighters with vast technical knowledge (Naoya's body work is particularly sophisticated) but huge part of what makes them truly special is their grasp on and awareness of fundamentals.

I think the word fundamentals is often understood as basics, while in reality the manipulation of the trio creates the entire intricacy of combat.

Just a few thoughts after my father insisted on watching twelve rounds of Sanchez and obviously fell asleep midway through.