Frazer Clarke signs for SKY/BOXXER

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Wizbit1013, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 The Original 101.3 Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    This content is protected

Id imagine he see's more opportunities with SKY esp with his age

Thoughts?

Jurgen likes this.
  2. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Sky is the place to be for future potential stars and a good move for Clarke

Astro, DramaShow, velagod and 2 others like this.
  3. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Sky is by far the biggest exposure so it’s a logical decision for someone wanting to further their profile.

Jurgen and Murderers' Row like this.
  4. BoxMan10

BoxMan10 Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2020
    european champion at best for him i think

5. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Mmmmh bit early to say wouldn't you agree?

Jurgen likes this.
  6. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Yep. Better move for him.

I said this a while back in a post about Eddie Hearn and DAZN so I probably sound like a broken record now but Eddie really underestimated how much help Sky have given his fighters and his shows. You cannot take the Sky Sports publicity machine for granted.

I remember saying this when he signed Danny Jacobs. Eddie said all he needs to do is tell his back story and people will love him. It's one thing telling his back story, it's another when no one is bloody watching to see the back story.

I'd argue Danny Jacobs is no more recognised now than when he was without Matchroom.

For as long as Sky have Premier league football, they will still attract enough viewers for their boxing shows.

7. aaaaa

Dec 19, 2020
    I have mates who don’t really like boxing but watch it when it’s on Sky in the same way I watch sports like golf and darts if they’re on Sky but I wouldn’t subscribe to a paid streaming service to watch them.

8. aaaaa

Dec 19, 2020
    He’s on Soccer AM tomorrow.

9. Trafford

Trafford Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    In the UK this is the case. Hearn will be in the market for people he can give a global profile to now. I think Hearn sees the same profile for Clarke as Joyce in that his appeal will be limited.

I think we also shouldn’t underestimate DAZNs ability to have premier league football in the near future

10. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Good move- needs to get busy at his age however.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  11. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Peter McGrail still hasn't announced his promoter after boxing on DAZN has he?

12. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Looking forward to Clarke’s career unfolding. I hope sky and Clarke’s handlers put some decent opposition in his way. Clarke is more than capable and selfishly as a fan, I want to see him tested from the off. Good luck to him.

teddybaldock and Scissors like this.
  13. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Not really- Matchroom are full of fighters who have a very modest profile in this country let alone globally.

Are you telling me Ted Cheeseman, John Ryder, Anthony Fowler, Zelfa Barrett, Chris Billam Smith, Alen Babic, Craig Richards were signed because of their huge global potential?

Regarding premier league football- totally depends on how you define 'near future'. Won't happen any time soon, e.g. the next 2-3 years. Anything beyond that to me is not near future. Who knows what the domestic boxing landscape (and global one too) will look like in 4 years or so.

AJ and Fury will be long gone, prominent domestic names who sell tickets and have some cross over appeal like Whyte and Chisora are more than likely to be too.

Maybe Conor Benn will still be around telling us all about his heated range rover seats!

aaaaa and Brixton Bomber like this.
  14. Trafford

Trafford Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    The DAZN BT deal is very very close and planned for the start of next season. That’s not 2-3 years away.

By global audience I’m saying UK is not a sole focus and they want fighters people want to see in multiple territories like Haney, Martinez, Benn Hrgovic the Castro will also fall into that.

15. unfriendlyorchid

unfriendlyorchid Probably moaning about Sky Sports Full Member

Jul 20, 2021
    Seems like a good signing. Boxxer don't have a great UK roster right now, so signing one of the Olympic medallists is a good move.

Clarke seems like a really really good guy too, if he can perform in the ring he'll get fans quickly.

Interesting that he's signed to 258 too. I'm sure this is going to start a few conspiracies that AJ is now dead set to stay with Sky…

DramaShow likes this.