Frazier 71 (Ali 1 fight) vs Foreman 77 (Briggs fight)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fabiandios, Apr 1, 2024.

Frazier 71 (Ali 1 fight) vs Foreman 97 (Briggs fight)

1. Foreman KO/TKO

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Frazier KO/TKO

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Foreman (Points)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Frazier (Points)

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Fabiandios

Fabiandios New Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2023
    Let's see how far the styles advantage can go.

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I didn't know Foreman fought Briggs in '77!

3. ikrasevic

ikrasevic "Conspiracy Theorist" :) Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    Only in these comparisons do I realize how dangerous Foreman was even at 49 years old, specifically in the fight with Briggs, a fight that Foreman realistically won.
    If Briggs had boxed with pressure like Frazier back then - he would have been knocked out.
    FOTC Frazier is peak Frazier and I don't think there has ever been such a Frazier before or since.
    This is IMHO ungrateful to forecast. I clicked on Frazier (Points), but I'm not so sure anymore. I know Foreman "had a go" at Frazier, but those are completely different circumstances than FOTC Frazier Vs. 1997 Foreman. Simply - I don't know :)

USFBulls727 likes this.
  4. Ney

Ney Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2024
    Jeez, you couldn’t have at least picked the Foreman of around 1991? LOL. I was thinking about that version of Foreman vs Marciano the other day, & Frazier is translatable enough in this regard.

But honestly, I think prime Frazier stops any version of comeback Foreman, especially very late 80’s or late 90’s. As hard as he hits, Foreman just doesn’t have the energy or punch volume to keep Frazier off him.

TKO9.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    swagdelfadeel likes this.
  5. The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

May 9, 2023
    No version of Frazier beats any version of Foreman. It’s just a stylistic nightmare for Joe.

6. Ney

Feb 13, 2024
    If I could go full Teddy for just a moment, the fastest Ferrari in the world ain’t much use if its engine is missing!

Foreman has the style but not the energy. On his best day, entrusted with the power, zeal & electric energies of Thor’s hammer, he could not keep Frazier from getting back up. This Foreman has none of the energy required to keep Frazier hurt like he did in 1973.

Can he hurt Frazier? Certainly. Can he keep him hurt? I seriously, gravely doubt it. Foreman takes a beating & eventually quits in his corner for my money.

7. The Cryptkeeper

May 9, 2023
    He fought Frazier twice and knocked him down almost a dozen times. Frazier didn’t lay a glove on him and took two of the most fearful beatings in the history of heavyweight prizefighting.

So, what the hell are you on about?

Frazier never beats Foreman. Not under any circumstances.

8. Ney

Feb 13, 2024
    Yeah, in his twenties. This is a 50-year-old man who throws a dozen punches a round.

swagdelfadeel and Pedro_El_Chef like this.
  9. The Cryptkeeper

May 9, 2023
    Either way. You say George quits in his corner. In his second career Foreman never even came close to being knocked down, let alone KO’d. Let alone quit. Seriously?

Frazier certainly ain’t knocking George out and he isn’t going to avoid him for 12 rounds. I’d even argue that Foreman hit harder in his 40’s then he ever did in his 20’s. He didn’t swing for the bleachers with his arms like he did as a younger man but he sure as hell picked his spots and sat down on everything he threw as an older fighter.

He’d likely only have to catch Frazier with one big shot and it’s lights out. Over 36 minutes this is almost a certainty. Joe wasn’t exactly difficult to hit.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think 1971 Frazier wins a decision over 1997 Foreman.

apollack and swagdelfadeel like this.
  11. nyterpfan

nyterpfan Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2021

With regards to the above I definitely agree that I don't think any version of Frazier could defeat mid 1970's Foreman as Joe's style is just tailor made for George.

12. Ney

Feb 13, 2024
    You’re telling me 50-year-old Foreman beats FotC Frazier, & you’re asking if I’m serious?

13. The Cryptkeeper

May 9, 2023
    You said he quits in his corner for money.

At that point I should have just ignored your nonsense.

14. Ney

Feb 13, 2024
    That’s right, he does. Frazier’s going to batter his ribs into oblivion, because Foreman’s not putting out the kind of volume nededed to deter Frazier. Work rate counts in this fight, Foreman was tough as they come, but nobody could work him over to the midsection like Frazier would. He’d unsettle Frazier at times sure, but his follow up even at age 40, let alone 50, was totally insufficient for a guy like Frazier.

Or hey, maybe I should take a more sane route & suggest Foreman with one punch at age 50 is going to put Frazier down for the count, when he couldn’t do that through eight knockdowns when he was half the age he is here, & facing a weaker version of Frazier to boot.