Frazier & Tyson who is greater?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by PhillyPhan69, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I think they do. But the destruction of Norton suffers a bit in retrospect by Shavers and ****ey doing the same.

It is the destruction of Frazier that sets Foreman apart. But for Frazier that becomes "Frazier being wiped out extremely one-sidedly against Foreman isn't that bad since Foreman was good enough to extremely one-sidedly wipe out Frazier ... oh, wait".

2. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    :yep

3. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    There was a magazine by Beckett Sports that came out last year 10 days before Mayweather-Pacquiao called "Ranking The Greatest Legends Of Boxing". It's 130 pages that includes rankings of the top 25 greatest ring legends of all time, the 25 greatest punches ever thrown, the 25 greatest fights of all time and 10 jaw dropping upsets.

It's nicely bounded with thick stock front and back covers that looks great. A definite collector's item with some hits and misses (mostly hits) and a few fighters conspicuous by their absence including Roy Jones and Lennox Lewis. Overall it's excellent!

Here's the list of the 25 Greatest Ring Legends of Boxing:

25- Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
    24- Carlos Monzon
    23- Marvelous Marvin Hagler
    22- Julio Cesar Chavez
    21- Sandy Saddler
    20- John L. Sullivan
    19- Joe Frazier
    18- Stanley Ketchel
    17- Gene Tunney
    16- Archie Moore
    15- Harry Greb
    14- Barney Ross
    13- Willie Pep
    12- George Foreman
    11- James J. Jeffries
    10- Roberto Duran
    9- Henry Armstrong
    8- Sugar Ray Leonard
    7- Mike Tyson
    6- Jack Johnson
    5- Jack Dempsey
    4- Sugar Ray Robinson
    3- Rocky Marciano
    2- Joe Louis
    1- Muhammad Ali

I agree and disagree with some of the list. I feel Mike Tyson should be higher, maybe even Top 3. Joe Frazier should be higher and Roy Jones could probably squeak in here somewhere.

I can list the top 25 bouts and the top 25 punches ever thrown on another thread if you all like me to.

Cheers!

4. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012

5. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010

6. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015

7. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    FOTC and the thriller in manila are tough to beat, Tyson didn't have great fights like that. I'd agree Tyson would win head to head but great fights make great fighters and in that regard Frazier wins, he showed every quality a great fighter should, Mike in his prime never got that chance, he showed heart but not the iron will Joe did.

8. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    :-( You stopped watching boxing before the 80s, didn't you? :eek:ld

9. UFC2015

UFC2015 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    It is debatable. Tyson made a lot of pretty decent to good fighters look so ordinary when he blazed them away. He gets a lot of flak saying the opponents were scared to even look him eye to eye at the stare in, that the fight was always lost before it even began. But that in my view is just a tribute to the legend himself and a sign of his greatness.

If lets say it was Tyson at his best against Ali in Manila. It looks very appealling to see Joe Frazier going the full distance and really battling hard to get the victory in the end. I know for a fact Tyson at his best just slipped punches way better than Joe did, had a far better technical game and did so many things a prime frazier never did. Two handed power, devestating finisher. Could the then Ali have survived all these things?

All i am saying is just because a fighter was so good to annihilate all his opponents in the first two rounds should not be held against him.

10. UFC2015

UFC2015 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Oh please Ali might be know worldwide but Tyson has more worldwide following than Frazier.

11. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    I agree. Part of Tyson's legacy is the way he cut through those fighters and too many people put that down to them not being very good challenges when they are missing the fact that Tyson was so phenomenal he made decent fighters look like nothing. I rate Tyson above Frazier in a matchup and think he would have looked better against Ali with his skill set. I am looking at it more in terms of overall greatness, in my view what Frazier did in those fights against possibly the best heavyweight ever is difficult to overlook. We can say Tyson would have done better of got the KO against Frazier but the fact is that's all hypothetical, Joe actually did that stuff.

12. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008

13. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    You are aware that Thomas was snorting more coke than Charlie Sheen by the time he fought Tyson?

14. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    That isn't what you wrote though is it, sh!t for brains?

This is what you wrote.

So I will tell you again based on the fact that you are something of a dummy. As long as people remember Ali, they will remember Frazier, because they enhanced each others reputations through their trilogy of fights.

Here are a couple of clues that even someone as dim as you might get. 2 of their fights were named respectively

The fight of the century

and

The Thrilla in Manilla

And you are moronic enough to claim Joe Frazier will be forgotten. :nut:nut

15. Sangria

Nov 13, 2010
    You are aware that everyone was snorting coke in the 80's!? Besides, Pinkie was shooting heroine since he was 8 years old.

Anything else you'd like to know?