Frazier vs Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by supremeshamrock, Mar 12, 2017.

1. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Ali never managed to nullify Frazier's left hook at all over 3 fights and he was still bloody great in everyone of their battles.

He got pounded with left hooks all night in 71, held for dear life in the rematch and got battered again by lefts in Manilla. Frazier may have been a one trick pony of sorts (although I don't think he was that anyway) but in the words of Tony Bellew "it's a fvcking great trick".

Foreman was the only fighter who nullified Frazier's hook and he did that by pushing Joe off with his massive strength advantage to effectively control range. No one else managed it and I'm not that sure many others could. Foreman was a uniquely gifted fighter in his way and was smart enough to see where Joe was strong ie in positioning himself to unload hooks upstairs and down and to take that asset away from Frazier. How he did it was illegal but 100% effective too.

ribtickler68, JC40, ETM and 2 others like this.
  2. DaveKrieg

DaveKrieg New Member banned Full Member

Mar 19, 2017
    You forgot to add Ted Lowry who beat Marciano and got robbed. You also could add David Tua, Tommy Morrison, Lewns Lewis, Anthony Joshua, Deontay Wilder, Ike Ibeabuchi, Razor Ruddock and any other modern sized heavvyweight go stand toe to toe with a 180 pound fighter and knock him out.

Anyway Frazier lost 2 times in his career 2 times to Ali and 2 times to Foreman. Both of these guys were modern sized heavyweights. Rocky Maricano isn't a modern sized heavyweight. Frazier by KO in 3 rounds or less.

3. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Ruddock and Morrison have absolutely no chance against Marciano.

4. DaveKrieg

DaveKrieg New Member banned Full Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Touching story then you realize Marciano was a 180 pounds and these guys were 230 pounds. Lol wait because Marciano beat 180 pound fighters it must mean he can beat 230 pound modern size fighters? Typical stupid Marciano fanboy logic.

Morrison or Ruddock would knock out Marciano worse than Tyson knocked out Marvis Frazier. Maricano couldn't even handle 170 pound Ted Lowry punching power. He was almost knocked out numerous times and Ted Lowry Held back.
    This content is protected

1949-10-10 :
    180¼ lbs beat
    177¾ lbs by UD in round 10 of 10

• Location: Rhode Island Auditorium, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
    • Referee:
    • See also:
    Michael J. Thomas of the Providence Journal wrote, "Marciano did not win the fight. This reporter gave it to Lowry, six rounds to four.”

The crowd of 3,696 booed the decision and some wondered if Lowry had thrown the fight. "There were some questions as to whether Lowry, who had come close to knocking out Marciano in the second, third and fourth rounds, deliberately bogged down in his attack after the fourth stanza," Thomas wrote. "Lowry stopped using his uppercut after the fourth. He went into a shell and only occasionally landed power shots. He seemed to be carrying Marciano."

In his book
    , Russell Sullivan wrote the following:

"It was Lowry, not Marciano, who was on the verge of scoring an early knockout, stinging Marciano with two terrific rights in the first round and then rocking him with two mighty uppercuts in the second. By the fourth, a staggered Marciano seemed just one punch away from being knocked out. But then, inexplicably, Lowry stopped fighting and retreated into a shell despite warnings from the referee to open up and a cascade of boos from the crowd. To many, it appeared that Lowry was deliberately carrying Marciano. Was foul play afoot? Was Lowry getting paid to lose? Or was he merely tiring? Whatever the reason, a revived Marciano managed to rally in the late rounds even though many of his punches missed their mark or lacked force. On the basis of his aggressiveness and constant punching, Marciano won a unanimous decision from the judges. Most observers felt, however, that Lowry should have won."
    Lowry, who earned $2,500 for the fight, denied he threw the fight. "I beat Rocky that night and that’s it," he said. "He changed his strategy in the fifth round and made a fight of it, but I won two of the last six rounds after winning the first four. It was a hometown decision."

Lol couldn't handle a journeyman 177 pound club fighter with limited punching power punching power. But year he could beat guys 50 plus pounds bigger because he is Rocky Marciano the most overrated fighter in boxing history.

5. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    If we go by your logic then how did Marciano beat Charles, Walcott and Moore who were all better than Lowry at the time Marciano fought them?

6. MURK20

MURK20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Joe would have smoked Marciano.

ETM likes this.
  7. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Peak Frazier beats a peak Marciano.
    Joe would bust his face up causing a late rd Doctors stoppage.

JC40 likes this.
  8. mcvey

mcvey Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    It's a possible scenario.

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Marciano had more in his right than Frazier in his hook , and Rocky had a very hard left hook too.That is what persuades me he wins this.Frazier has speed and better head movement,and a weight advantage. Rocky has more versatile power. Frazier could stop Rocky on cuts .I'm going Rocky but wouldn't be betting on this one, just making sure I got to see it!

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    ETM and young griffo like this.
  10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    One scenario.

11. robert ungurean

Jun 9, 2007
    True...I do feel Joe is the better fighter though and he finds a way to win

12. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Marciano was the greater fighter. Two hands vs one.

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Sam Silverman, who promoted some of Rocky's fights said he could look as bad against an average fighter and struggle with him just as much as against a good one.

Mr.DagoWop likes this.
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    It's a very close fight in which both have strengths.I couldn't honestly argue that anyone picking Joe is wrong.

15. robert ungurean

Jun 9, 2007
    Not that simple. Ive seen watched guys with great left hands who fought left hand dominate take good two handed fighters.
    Loughren made a career out of it.
    Prime Conteh was another one to a lesser extent but im sure u get my point.
    Your also underestimating Joes rt hand to the body that so many people miss.
    If Joe was strictly a one handed fighter he wouldnt have gotten where he did.

young griffo and JC40 like this.