Freak Genetics

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Shahpoor Saiq, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Shahpoor Saiq

Shahpoor Saiq Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2020
  2. Conteh'sLeft

Conteh'sLeft Active Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    Pacquiao's legs were something else, that buzzsaw never stopped once before 2012 when the power of the pee finally prevailed.

Brixton Bomber and Tonto62 like this.
  3. Rakesh

Rakesh Active Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2021
    Ken Norton was gifted with those absolute Hercules abs and torso.

4. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Sonny Liston

KidDynamite and Guru88 like this.
  5. SwarmingSlugger

SwarmingSlugger Active Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Hearns, Saddler, Fitzsimmons and Arguello were def freaks.

6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Ali and Foreman were both freaks in their own way. SRR as well. To be able to do some of the things they could was pretty special.

Flash24, Brixton Bomber and TipNom like this.
  7. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Roy Jones Jr.

The man could probably close his eyes, trust the force and pluck the wings off flies as they buzzed by.

His reflexes were from another planet.

The best of physiques have six-pack abs: Roy had an eight-pack.

8. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    How would you even know, for the most part? Most contenders probably have genetic gifts, but they're also the product of training.

When you get to the level of elite boxers, most of them are already (probably) going to be born athletes from the get-go. You're trying to distinguish the genetically gifted from the super-genetically-gifted in a sport where many athletes keep their training relatively private.

Tyson is abnormal, yes. But young Cleveland Williams was also knocking adults out. (Actually looked a bit like Tyson, come to think of it.) Jimmy Wilde was allegedly beating up adults in a boxing booth as a kid, and he was tiny even as an adult. Etc.

The only guys I can immediately think of with verifiable genetic gifts/abnormalities would be Carnera and Valuev.

Hank Armstrong allegedly had an abnormally slow heart beat even by athletic standards, but he might just have been a *merely* gifted athlete who worked out like the Dickens.

Journeyman92 and J Jones like this.
  9. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I noted that in another thread on lookalikes. Compare this to the photo the original poster added. There's another shot of Cleve smiling, showing a gold tooth. Even details like that, and the little parting cut into his hair. Uncanny resemblance, like Haugen and Greb.

https://photos.com/featured/cleveland-williams-the-stanley-weston-archive.html

10. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Or Dempsey and German Dempsey.

11. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    But I think my answer would be Liston. How the hell could a child grow up in that environment, one of 25 with not much food for more than a few, and yet have that upper body? It was like a barrel of muscle. He can't have had a full meal until he was in St Louis in his mid teens, surely.

12. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    I mean, the gibbon arms are just weird. His wingspan was like one of those party horns that just keeps unrolling.

13. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Nigel Benn’s natural punching leverages

14. The Fighting Yoda

The Fighting Yoda Active Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    Mike "Hercules" Weaver was very muscular. Maybe he used PEDs (especially in his later fights) but I think he was naturally gifted too.

Nicolino Locche (El Intocable) was a smoker and I heard he did not train as much either. His punches were rather soft but his natural reflexes were out of this world.

15. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Saad Gatti Chuvalo and Cobbs ability to absorb punishment and keep on fighting on 8 cylinders not to mention Battling Nelson and Ade Wolgast

michael mullen and Tonto62 like this.