FROM THE RING: THE GREATEST HEAVYWEIGHT OF ALL TIME

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ThatOne, Jun 3, 2023.

1. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    The poll evaluated 20 champions dating back to the dawn of gloved heavyweight championship fights. The fighters, listed chronologically, are John L. Sulllivan, James Corbett, Bob Fitzsimmons, James Jeffries, Jack Johnson, Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Sonny Liston, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Vitali Klitschko and Wladimir Klitschko.

Great is a hard word to define, and greatness is subjective. It was up to each panelist to quantify greatness.

A fighter’s skill level is important. But so too is that fighter’s skill level within the context of his time.

How great was each fighter within his era? Was he the best of his era? Dominant in his era? How many other great heavyweights fought in his era? Great rivalries make great fighters. Did he fight the other great heavyweights of his time? Which elite fighters who were in their prime did he beat? One fight can go a long way toward defining a fighter’s legacy.

A great fighter needs great competition. That doesn’t necessarily translate into a pristine record.

https://www.ringtv.com/488242-ring-greatest-heavyweight-time/

2. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    Too low a place for Lennox Lewis 11th place.

3. PRW94

PRW94 Active Member Full Member

Nov 26, 2020
    They have 9 of my top own 10 in theirs, just ordered differently. The only difference is I have Lewis in the top 10 and Dempsey just out of it in 11th.

catchwtboxing likes this.
  4. ThatOne

Jan 13, 2022
    Foreman had Lennox at 1. He definitely should have a place in the top 10

catchwtboxing and Clinton like this.
  5. ThatOne

Jan 13, 2022
    It's more than a list of who beat who and who would have beaten who and if that's the criterion then Dempsey belongs in the top ten. He was iconic.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    RockyJim and PRW94 like this.
  6. PRW94

Nov 26, 2020
    Don’t disagree one iota, there’s just only 10 spots in the top 10 and the folks I have above him are not exactly jabronis.

Fogger likes this.
  7. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Done in 2017, but still there are some in here on suicide watch because Tyson Fury is absent.
    I'd drop Tunney much lower, trade Lewis for Frazier the insert Lewis at 3rd and drop Johnson down to 8th. I don't see Riddick Bowe on the top 20.

Fury would not make top 20 IMO. 1 (one) decent victory on his resume; would anyone put Wilder on this list? Maybe replace Bowe with Wilder?

ikrasevic likes this.
  8. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Johnson at 3 is a joke. Doesn't belong in the top 10 for me adleast

Reinhardt, catchwtboxing and Clinton like this.
  9. Shay Sonya

Shay Sonya The REAL Wonder Woman! Full Member

Aug 15, 2021
    I think it is a decent list. I disagree on the exact order on some, but the final result was respectable. I also enjoyed reading the comments!

RockyJim, catchwtboxing and Jel like this.
  10. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    I definitely need to use the word "jabroni" more often. Well said.

11. ThatOne

Jan 13, 2022
    I posted it because a poster said Muhammad Ali didn't belong in the top ten.

Clinton likes this.
  12. Storm-Chaser

Storm-Chaser Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2022
    No doubt Foreman should top this list. Nobody except Tyson can match the brutality of his KOs.

13. PRW94

Nov 26, 2020
    Like Nolan Ryan in baseball, so many people have tried to argue that Johnson is overrated to the point that IMO he’s become underrated. I think he belongs in the top 10 although he’s fallen down my list some as I reassess things.

My top three BTW are Ali, Louis and Holmes.

Greg Price99 and ThatOne like this.
  14. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Decent list - not too much I disagree with. The only obvious omission that I can see is Ezzard Charles. He deserves a place in the top 20.

RockyJim, catchwtboxing and Clinton like this.
  15. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I have Lewis 3 personally

BCS8, Fergy, catchwtboxing and 2 others like this.