Funny Story About Wilfred Benitez

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Azzer85, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Taken from Mike Tysons Autobiography.

Chapter 5: The Catskill Years page 71

"At one point the quiet house in Catskill suffered an invasion that no one who was there at the time will ever forget. Wilfred Benitez came to train in Catskill. Benitez was managed by D'matos closest friend, Jim Jacobs, the first world champion Jacobs would handle. The Puerto Rican native was a boxing prodigy. He won the first world title at the age of 17 , making him the youngest professional champion in history. (Even Mike Tyson, who would go on to become the youngest heavyweight champion ever, was still an amateur when he was 17 years old). Benitez would go on to win two more titles in his career, making him one of a handful of men to hold onto a championship in three different weight divisions. He did it all on natural talent, because his training habits and overall discipline were severly lacking. Benitez had the reputaton in boxing circles of being a 'head case', a wacky, strutting, macho kid not playing with a full deck.

He began his career at age 14, managed by his father, Gregorio, who was heavily into horses and gamblin. Within a few years, predictably, Gregorio was in debt and forced to sell his sons contract to raise cash. Teddy Brenner, the macthmaker at the old Eastern Parkway Arena in Brooklyn who started out Floyd Patterson, put Gregorio together with Jim Jacobs, who he knew had the money. Financially, it was a steal. Jacobs grabbed Benitez contract for $75 thousand. Guided by Jacobs, the fighter would earn several million dollars over the next few years, and Jacobs cut earned back his investment many times over. But handling Wilfred Benitez took its tol in aggravation, since the father insisted that he remain invovled in his sons career as the boys trainer. Father and son would prove to be their own worst enemies. Neither knew how to handle their new found wealth, perhaps thinking those million dollar purses would pour in forever. Evenually, a victim of his own prolifigate ways and milked by his fathers continued gambling, Benitez would burn out while still in his twenties, his career over and with virtually all his money gone.

When he and his entourage arrived in Catskill he was at the peak of his fighting powers preparing to challenge Carlos Palomino for the welterweight title. It was Jacobs hope that the two men might gain some insight by training under the watchful eye of Cus.

Apparently unfamiliar or unconcerned with the conventions of civilised society, the puerto ricans turned things upside down at the house. One member of the group would wake up between four and five every morning and begin to practise martial arts, complete with loud screams and whoops waking everybody up. He also had the charming habit of blowing snot from his nose right onto the floor, and leaving it there.

Wilfred himself would spit on the floor around his bed. He would also gorge himself on his favourite diet of chicken, beans and rice to the point where he would sometimes throw up, or get stomach cramps and **** all over the toilet, leaving his mess unflushed until someone would discover it the next morning.

Benitez also began a hot pursuit of a 13 year old girl in town, until Cus put halt to it by explaining that although this might be acceptbale behaviour in the islands, in a smll country town it could land you in jail for statutory ****, or perhaps provoke the girls family to come after you with shotguns.

At dinnertime the Benitez entourage did not bother with untensils: they used their hands for everything. When the other boys in the house complained about this behaviour that was turning the place into shambles, Cus tried to explain to them that these people came from a different culture. As Cus put it, all these people knew was how to cut sugar cane all day and screw their women at night.

However the final straw came one day when Camille was trying to clean up. She had noticed that her expensive, monogrammed towels had been disappearing. While cleaning Wilfreds room, she found a pile of them, along with a stench. When she examined more closely, she was repulsed. It seems that Wilfred had been using them to wipe his rear end after bowel movements, and then just dumped his excrement covered towels in his room. Camille was enraged, and it was not long before Benitez and his merry men were sent packing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

2. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    :roflOMFG! And he asked SRL if he could date Ray's sister, and Ray said yes? Imagine Arguello behaving like this! (Duran, I could see as a barbarian.)

3. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    Whenever Benitez name is mentioned, i always think of this story.

Dirty Barsteward!

4. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I read that a long time ago and I'm not sure I buy they could be that bad tbh and no Tyson himself did not write that

5. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    Nah it was written by peter heller, its in Tysons book becuse they came to saty at CatSkill while Tyson was there, i defo dont think its made up!

6. KOTF

KOTF Bingooo Full Member

Jun 2, 2009
    What a stinky pedo

7. MagnaNasakki

MagnaNasakki Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 21, 2006
    I've heard Benitez was a horrible house guest and a pretty tactless person.

He just marched to the beat of his own drum.

8. RafaelGonzal

RafaelGonzal Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Total bull**** no one could pull off such **** I dont believe a word of it be real.

9. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    There's probably some truth to it, but that sounds a bit extreme. Funny when you think how refined and smooth and orderly he was in the ring.

10. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I always questioned the result of Benetiz vs Leonard when I watched SRL's sister falling all over Wilfred pre-fight.

Wilfred probably laid some pipe on her....and his "fight" went out the window from that point on.

11. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    D'Amato said that Benitez did not really care to listen to his instructions, according to Benitez he knew every trick in the book and training was only a way for him to keep in shape in between fights. That's why it did not work out. D'Amato wanted to turn him into a more aggressive fighter who did not just react to everything the opponent was doing as Benitez often did.

12. The Funny Man 7

The Funny Man 7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 1, 2005
  13. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    Dude, i **** you not. This is taken straight from the book.

I dont think Heller would lie about it, the book has got nothing to do with Benitez, but hes mentioned because he stayed at Catskill for a while. Must be some element of truth to it.

14. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
  15. SLAKKA

SLAKKA Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
    This story gives Puerto Ricans a black eye.
    Good time to remind the forum about the fighting 65th Infantry Div!