Fury’s retirement is solely based on Usyk

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Guru88, May 3, 2022.

1. Austinboxing

Austinboxing British Boxing fan Full Member

Jul 8, 2021
    Haha good one. Seriously though I hope your joking we all know why Fury is “retiring” he’s doing what Mayweather did after the Hatton fight he just wants promoters to give him more money. He’ll be back in a year or two for a big ppv fight. And even if it’s not cause of that (which it is) it’s def not cause he’s sacred of Usky why would he be? Usky is tiny and would get demolished by someone with Fury’s power.

Boxingnut101 likes this.
  2. willcross

willcross Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2006
    It's very similar to when Lennox Lewis dropped the belt to Chris Byrd. Fury knows he'll beat him. But it's an awkward fight that will make him work really hard and he'll still look bad, and when he wins, Fury will get very little credit. Fury probably only wants a few more fights and he'd really rather Usyk not be one of them.

Holler likes this.
  3. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Does anyone believe Fury has actually retired?

It's a clever ploy to get even more money out of a super fight against the holder of the other 3 belts, he's just positioning himself to earn even more than he otherwise would. He's putting the promoter on the back foot as he has to essentially be 'tempted' out of retirement.

He will 100% fight AJ at least once assuming he wins and I actually think there is a (admittedly smaller) chance he will fight him even if AJ does not win!

If Usyk win's there is still a 80%-85% chance he fights him in my opinion so we should still see that fight.

He's a favourite in that fight too and will strongly fancy his chances. I don't think for a second he thinks Usyk is some nightmare fight or something he would avoid if he can pick up another 40 million.

4. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Jurgen likes this.
  5. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Ducking Usyk lol......

He's being smart and playing the game. When the fight with Usyk or AJ does come around, he can play the "well I'm in retirement card" if you want me then stump up a few extra £££.

Holler likes this.
  6. kevin-novice

kevin-novice Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Fury v Joshua is what the public want

7. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Nonsense. AJ got out jabbed by Usyk, Fury would not. That would mean Usyk had to take more risks to land, and Fury would steam roll him. For a few rounds it would be close, I agree with that, but just like all him opponents Fury would adjust his tactics accordingly. It would not go 12 rounds as Fury would stop him. To be able to bully Usyk you will need to take his jab from him and you need very good quick feet to close the gap (Fury has that).

8. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    I agree. Fury is too big for Usyk. Joshua moves like an oil tanker and in embarrassing straight lines. Fury is more mobile and fluid with his movement. He's got the ability to jab from range and get close and hold up Usyk making it difficult for Usyk to get shots off. Fury wins.

Holler likes this.
  9. Above Deck

Above Deck Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Fury will come back for undisputed. He will be pulling for Joshua $$$ wise. Usyk the easier fight for him though. No chance of Usyk winning really. He isn’t a hard puncher, and would be on the end of a jab all night long. Fury could even walk him down if he liked. Joshua fight would be good though because Joshua could land, who know. He does have that power.

10. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Fury v Usyk is what the public want - 2 undefeated fighters fighting for all 4 belts at Wembley Stadium.

Joshua, Whyte and Chisora all go the same way against Fury and Usyk with Wilder most likely icing all three as well.

EJC83 likes this.
  11. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    AJ & USYK or NO Legitimacy...

PERSPECTIVE Right Here - Lil' Klit - BoxRec: Wladimir Klitschko at least 30 TOP Fighters before Fury and AJ after him... 19 years and 67 Fights before Fury.

Fury - BoxRec: Tyson Fury 7 top fighters (generous), before Wlad and in 24 Fights and 3 after Wlad for 32 Fights total = NO LEGACY.

Only AJ offers an acceptable Stamp to consolidate some measure of Legacy, but over HISTORY Fury needs BOTH USYK and AJ.

PERSPECTIVE!

Glenn McKrory likes this.
  12. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Fury v Usyk is the only Heavyweight title fight worth watching, the two best in the division, both undefeated, with all the belts on the line. The idea that Tyson Fury is Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Larry Holmes all rolled into one whilst Usyk is a midget with no power is quite frankly ludicrious, it's as 50/50 a top level fight as there's been in the division for absolutely ages. Each have slight chinks in their armour and for me Fury looking like he's not able to move quite like he could is maybe the biggest of the two but while I'd favour Usyk to win I wouldn't be at all surprised if Fury took it on points, I don't think anybody is stopping Usyk though, nobody is landing clean power on him.

13. kevin-novice

kevin-novice Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2016
    I still want to see fury Joshua.

Glenn McKrory and Jurgen like this.
  14. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    i agree
    and a certin guy in Okinawa

15. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member