Fury signs with Top Rank?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Trafford, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Jamzy ⭐

Jamzy ⭐ Active Member Full Member

Oct 8, 2018
    I remember when Espinoza said that they were eyeing the Joshua vs Wilder fight for fall or winter of 2017, surprise surprise it never happened in 2017, 2018 and it's not going to be made this year.

The Joshua vs Wilder fight should of taken place in 2017, not three or four years down the line. Source:https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/ne...hua-heavyweight-fight-targeted-for-late-2017/

2. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I doubt Wilder will fight outside of Showtime unless he's offered OBSCENE money.
    He has options for now in Breazeale, Charles Martin and Kownacki to keep him busy. Ortiz rematch anyone?

Showtime does all the deck stacking for him and invested a lot of money into Wilder going back to when Haymon fighters were promoted by Oscar de La Hoya before creating the PBC brand.

chico g likes this.
  3. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Let's look at Mikey Garcia. A "free agent" (on paper), "doesn't have anything signed with anybody, doesn't have any short term or long term deals...", blah-blah. But, de facto, he's a PBC fighter.

nickpoppunk, 305th and lewis gassed like this.
  4. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Tyson is just demonstrating some cerebral Gypsy Slickness. Donkey "I would fight Fury anywhere.. I'm a traveller, a global fighter, I fight anywhere all over the world that's how you become legendary. You become legendary by not being afraid to go into enemy territory when the time comes or when duty calls'' Wilder won't dare face Fury anywhere outside the protective sanctuary of his homeland because he knows he can't win without that stacked deck, so in an effort to try and combat that Fury has teamed up with a US titan like Bob to ensure the playing field is a tad more level and he gets a fairer crack in the rematch.

Brighton bomber likes this.
  5. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Wilder has no loyalty to Showtime, if they genuinely valued him they would of paid him for an exclusive contract but instead Wilder had to sell his fights to anyone, he's defended his title on NBC and Showtime, so him fighting on another network other than Showtime isn't anything new.

No legal reason why he can't fight on ESPN. If showtime want to ensure he doesn't fight for someone else they'll actually need to invest in him and offer him an exclusive deal like Fury has just signed.

But you're right I doubt he agrees to the rematch now, Haymon won't want to **** off Showtime and Wilder won't want to risk fighting on a card where he knows he can likely lose a decision.

lewis gassed likes this.
  6. mthez

mthez Active Member banned Full Member

Aug 12, 2016
    People can forget the Fury v AJ fight. No way this will happen. I guess we have to start looking at other fights. AJ vs Wilder is I guess the next big fight. Fury has only bums left.

7. mthez

mthez Active Member banned Full Member

Aug 12, 2016

What happens to Fury is Wilder knocks him out cold? What do ESPN do? They jumped the gun. Unless they have some clause but we saw what happened to Khan and his skysports deal only for Prescott to throw it up in the air. Good luck to ESPN but this means Fury is not going to fight WIlder

8. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Fury Joshua wasn't going to happen in a year of Sundays before this announcement, while past history dictates Wilder Joshua won't happen either for a variety of reasons I can't be bothered documenting broken-record-like again.

The three of them look happy to feast on a dwindling pool of sub-par opposition until their retirement i.e. not face each other.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The suicidal inactive drug-ravaged shell of Fury's grandfather's atrophied muscles bloated shot ghost fought the supposed ''Baddest Man on the Planet'' in his backyard after not having fought anyone with a pulse in 3 years, having spent 2.5 years of his inactivity snorting mountains of coke, drinking enough booze to give the entire population of Ireland cirrhosis of the liver, stuffing his face with industrial amounts of junk food morning, noon, and night and ballooning up to over 400lbs and then having to shed 140lbs of it off, and battling severe depression and suicidal thoughts. Donkey wouldn't have even dared contemplated fighting Fury in the UK had the roles been reversed, let alone had he had all the rest of that stuff to contend with and overcome because he's not a real fighting man like Fury is.

10. nickpoppunk

nickpoppunk Unbelievable Bentekkers Full Member

Feb 14, 2012
    fair play to fury for signing 'a' deal.

wouldn't it be funny on all the promoters involved if fury tested for a banned substance again. wow

it seems the mega fights take another step away now.

11. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    I think they will use it to drive the price up so if Showtime win it will need to do big numbers to breakeven.

12. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    This is definitely going to shake up the division somewhat. As Showtime will want the fight as they are running out of sellable PPV's and need Wilder to become a PPV fighter. This is possibly a big powerplay by ESPN by taking Fury off the table or trying to get that fight on the ESPN platform.

On top of this there are not a massive amount of great heavyweights that Top Rank have in their stable. With Fury's history for some reason I also cant see him boxing for years and therefore he surely is not going to fight 3 more tune ups.

On top of this if the Fury fight does not happen does Breazeale get reinstated as mandatory and the Wilder fight. Which then leaves Dillian Whyte in a tough place again and maybe he has to go back for the Povetkin fight.

13. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    C0ckamamie? :lol:
    This content is protected

305th likes this.
  14. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
  15. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018