Fury threatens to vacate WBC belt!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    That's on the Bri'ish PPV mugs. Shilling out that PPV money for domestic dust-ups and non championship level fights.

I also think he's one of the most overpaid boxers to date, but be realistic here... Would you fight for 20 to 30%, while you know you can just demand 45% or just get the belt for free?! It's not like Fury has much of a choice here, why does he think he can be the greedy one in this case?

Unforgiven, Nonito Smoak and lordlosh like this.
  2. lordlosh

lordlosh Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Agree my bad. Happy Holidays to you and your family and all the people on here.

Zhuge Liang likes this.
  3. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    He may be the worst top 5-ish HW ever but Whyte is that at this moment. Dropping the belt in the trash can to avoid him wouldnt be an easily defensible move from Fury. Having said that, I dont care about belts so it isnt the end of the world for me. Just telling. I would be surprised if he laces up the gloves another five times and Fury has come off pretty part-time since the Wlad fight so not surprised here.

Unforgiven and Robney like this.
  4. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Fury didn't get decked against Pricey; Pricey got decked (though claims it was a balance shot) but Fury still lost on points.

Another point is that Fury signed to fight Haye (a murderous puncher and very fast) on two occasions, who pulled out both times. Considering how hard HW's hit relative to the other weights, Fury has fought and been willing to fight more high level, murderous punchers than anyone else in the sport and hasn't been KO'd. Whyte isn't in their league as a puncher and is slow as molasses.

5. Ty is That Guy

Ty is That Guy Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2021
    Right. But Fury has only one title defense so HE HIMSELF is a mediocre champion at best. And dropping the belt only proves that. Can you understand that?

lordlosh likes this.
  6. Ty is That Guy

Jul 6, 2021
    I love it how Whyte is somehow the bad guy now and Fury is the good one. The same Fury who claimed he didnt care about money. The same Fury that claimed he donated his entire fight purse to charity. Whether you think Whyte deserves his shot or not is irrelevant. He does and he's the mandatory. Fury has basically 3 weeks to decide if he wants to act like a champion or a duck. And if he ducks, call him on it. Don't change the narrative into "belts aren't important" or that he is bigger than a belt. Instead call it what it is. A cowardice move from a ducking chump with one title defense

Boxingfan2 likes this.
  7. Ty is That Guy

Jul 6, 2021
    So when/if it happens. Call Fury out on it. He has been given far too many passes already

8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Yeah, Fury is mediocre champion but if he drops the belt he is still a mediocre champion. Because the division is mediocre, he might still be regarded as number 1, especially if his next fight is the Usyk-AJ winner.
    I don't think he should drop the belt. But I see why he threatens to do so. He doesn't think Whyte deserves much money, that's it. He might be bluffing, he might not.

9. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Honestly, there are no good guys and bad guys.
    And who said the belts mean a lot in the first place?

You seem to always be on a mission to class Fury as a bad guy.
    Most boxing fans actually don't give a ****. Most fans expect him to fight Whyte next, and expect a routine win.
    Of course, the fight might not happen. In which case, fans will move on to another fight that will happen.

10. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    The free belt might not be worth as much as 20% or 30% of a Fury fight to Whyte.
    That's the whole point. That's the negotiations process. Both sides have to calculate what they can afford to demand and what they can afford to possibly lose with their demands.

Fury could throw the WBC belt away, fight a cheap bum for millions, and then walk into a huge 50-50 fight with Usyk or AJ in a fight everyone would regard as the real championship.

Whyte would be reduced to winning a moral victory, accusing Fury of being scared, but then have to fight someone else for a smaller purse in a fight everyone admits is paper title, a fight he might well lose too. Whyte simply doesn't have adequate credibility or ability to gamble his chance away like that, but yeah he could boast of being WBC champion.

11. Robney

Jan 18, 2010
    There's where it can branch out differently. If Fury drops the belt, the winner of Usyk vs Joshua 2 might fight the winner of Whyte vs Wall-e/Parker, for the undisputed championship. Remember Mike Tyson vs Tony Tucker for the undisputed crown back in the 80's? Neither of them were lineal, that was Spinks, but Tyson was both the moneymaker and seen as "the man".
    Fury seems tough to negotiate with, certainly because of being an USArum fighter atm.
    Whyte is a Brit, and a heavyweight with a belt if that happens. He will make millions upon millions on PPV whoever he fights.
    They would promote the hell out of Fury ducking the "dangerous" Whyte. Ducked by Wilder for 3 years before that.
    That there are nuances to that doesn't matter, because when did Brit promoters and the British public ever care about nuances when it came to promoting boxing?!

Unforgiven likes this.
  12. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    The Spinks example. Spinks made a lot more money that Tucker did. Spinks made more against Tyson in 1988 than he would have got with the IBF belt against Tyson in 1987.
    Whyte isn't comparable to any of the players, except perhaps Tucker.
    And Fury is, for this era, firmly established as the man to beat. People interested in the division are not going to lose interest in him.

Whyte can make millions upon millions on 20% or 30% of a Fury fight too, with the US market interest in Fury being valuable.

It could pan out a number of ways.
    I certainly don't think Fury must concede 45% of the money to Whyte to make the fight. I actually expect the fight to be made with Whyte taking less. He already turned down millions to fight AJ when AJ went on to lose to Ruiz, I think he will see sense this time and not pass up the chance to have a go at Fury.

13. ShadesOfAli

ShadesOfAli Active Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Doubt Fury will vacate. He doesn’t want to cut his nose off in spite of his face. It’s a bad look and will not only cost him pride but money also. Him and Arum are bluffing for leverage.

If Fury did vacate then Whyte would fight Wilder but it would probably generate less than half the revenue.

Whyte shouldn’t get 45% and if it goes to arbitration it’s likely they would rule his market value doesn’t demand that split.

They should make it 70/30 and if Whyte wins he gets an extra 10% making it 60/40.

14. Robney

Jan 18, 2010
    We will see.
    As I see it now, Whyte basically holds the cards in this matter. And if I were him I would hold out for the 45%, it being on British soil, at British prime time PPV. And if not, fight the next in line for the belt on British soil on PPV.

lordlosh likes this.
  15. cuchulain

cuchulain Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    And I'm pretty sure that MOST fans would rather see Fury - Usyk than any of the above.

Unforgiven likes this.