Fury vs Wilder III

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by ZiggerZagger, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Watch the news, if you're interested in that. Make up your own mind. Keep abreast of the economic situation. If you do actually care.

I never suggested otherwise. It was an atrocious fight ..... but a significant win of this (perhaps pitiful) era.
    I've seen World Cup finals that were awful too. It doesn't change the significance.
    When a long-standing champ is dethroned in a fight he's expected to win, that's significant.

Calzaghe-Jones and Berbick-Ali are not analogous anyway.

But I'm willing to subscribe to a standard whereby Fury "did not get" Wlad's "name on his record in any reasonable sense". Because Wlad was old.
    Thing is, Joshua falls even further short of that standard versus Wlad.
    That's the only real argument.
    Diminishing or dismissing the Fury win because Wlad was on his way out is valid enough, yes.
    But it takes some real mental gymnastics to do so at the same time as building up and maximizing the historical significance of Joshua's win against Wlad.

2. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005

I'd agree, he's 3-0 against Wlad and Wilder.
    Yes, he's 1-1 against McDermott.

BUT .....

He won the Wallin fight. True enough, the referee gave him a lot of leeway with the cut, but that was a WIN for Fury.

He beat the count against Wilder. He was up before 10. And it wasn't a slow count. He did what the referee asked him to do.
    Wilder had 2 minutes left in the round to finish Fury off, but Fury wasn't going anywhere.

3. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    So we agree fury is with aj a loss a piece

4. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    It's fine to give McDermott the first fight.
    But it's telling that we have to go back to Fury's 8th pro fight, back in 2009, in his first year as a pro, when he'd just turned 21 years old, and pull out that decision loss that he avenged by stoppage a mere 9 months later.

Conversely, the 2nd best heavyweight on the planet avenged a stoppage defeat (in his 23rd fight, 6th year as a pro) with a decision against a fatty (who wasn't in any of your top tens) only last year ...... 2019.

The 3rd best is who ? Dillian, who doesn't have a convincing win against a consensus-top-10 at all (win against Parker was slightly controversial), and was KO'd by Joshua less than 5 years ago ....... or Deontay, who was battered by Fury last time, and should be 0-2 against him over the last couple of years.

5. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I had McDermott outpointing him, yeah.
    I think Fury has improved dramatically since then.

6. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Uh oh. You're not one of them are you? You're not going to start talking about Bill Gates and 5G?

I mean, joking aside, I made my mind up months ago that you're a nutter with all that 'hundreds of millions forced to their death' nonsense when the pubs closed for a few months. Interesting to see you've gone full-on Icke though.

Re Wlad, you fall into the same trap that everyone else does in this regard, namely that everyone gets worse the older they get but also that performances must get worse. So again, if Klitschko had to be worse for the Joshua fight than he was in the Fury fight, then so it follows that Lewis was worse in the Rahman rematch than he was in the first fight (not true), and Holyfield was worse second time against Lewis (again, not true), or that Floyd was worse against Canelo than he was against Castillo or Pacquaio was worse against Cotto than he was against Morales and so on and so on until we get so bored we end up talking about your mentally-ill coronavirus predictions again.

It's like you cannot bear the thought that the Wlad who fought Joshua was just better than the Wlad who fought Fury. I mean, he was. Anyone could tell that who had a working TV and one working eye.

7. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Correct mate and I stand by it.

8. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Fury at this stage has a win against a poor version of Klitschko in the worst title fight of all time and a win over a hyped (in America - everywhere else knew he was a poor one-trick pony) in Wilder. The rest of his CV is weak. If Joshua beats him, that's what he beat. A good win but we can't keep peddling all this ATG stuff about a guy with that sort of record.

9. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Jesus weeps again - thought the Matchroom PR staff would not be keen on using the word 'peddling'

Sounds like an up and coming Dullian Shyte

kojak likes this.
  10. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    absolutely but real boxing fans know it took his 0 to go before improvements were made i
    fury ain't a55ed about hard-core fans it's the casuals he feeds off
    get he loves his boxing history
    he's a contradictive character

11. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    You're wrong of course.
    Never mentioed Icke, Bill Gates or 5G and don't buy into any of that. Not sure where you got that from.
    Don't confuse me with one of those 'alt right' crackpots.
    I'm at the opposite end, politically.
    BUT ...... to indulge you here, for a moment ...... You know very well my views on the global economic collapse, lead to war and death from poverty, and plenty of qualified economists agree with me. You know very well my views on the lockdowns combined with the economic situation leading to tensions, violence, crime, unrest, and plenty of analysts agree with me.
    Like I said, if you're interested, go out and do the research. Go to credible sources, credible analysts.
    No need to bring it up here.

Fair enough, you made attempt at some cheap shot ad hominem ..... but it's boring and you're featherfisted.

Now, what were we saying .......

I'm not saying he was worse or better or the same. In terms of his status, he was lesser.

But you're the one who falls into the trap of thinking that because "he looked good" or "he looked bad" , it's happening in a vacuum where what the OPPONENT is doing in that ring is not the primary influence on how he looks.
    Anyone who knows boxing understands that a clever cagey boxer can completely nullfy another clever boxer to the point where the guy on the losing end looks completely ineffective and downright inept.
    Which is what Fury did to Wlad.

12. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    Again i hope you ain't ever shone shyte on dillian banjoing Chisora next time out lol

the fix was in with mcd if that 0 went then you think it don t stop furys marketability
    They money put into fury at that time well it was not recoperated
    You really going to suggest otherwise

Unforgiven and Jurgen like this.
  13. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Hayers saying “Hello mate, been a while” stuck right in my CRAW for some reason.

@hayers you read that in a magazine or something?

Unforgiven and Jurgen like this.
  14. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    :qmeparto:

15. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Tony Hayers reads the Matchroom internal staff newsletter