Fury's inactivity

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by bladesman, Feb 11, 2021.

1. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    The Joshua Fury fight is due to happen in June. Tyson hasn't had a fight since February 2020. A 16 month lay off is obviously going to be a talking point going into the fight. Trying to think of any other non injured fighters having a long gap inbetween two huge fights like this. Obviously we live in weird times but I am surprised the muted fight in December fell apart in the end and wonder if early ring rust could play a part.

2. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I think the Fury we saw against Wilder was brilliant. However this was because he had boxed 4 times in 14 months and had two tough bouts in that period, so I do think for him to have not boxed at all before then is a negative. I was really disappointed the proposed December defence didn’t happen, because it would have done him the world of good.

ryanm8655, ipitythefool, T.S. and 6 others like this.
  3. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Sugar ray is a great example. He had 3 years off before stepping in with Hagler! Mayweather had 2 years off between Hatton and Marquez and im sure he had 18 months off another time also.

Thing is these guys kept themselves in top condition, has fury?

velagod and Gatekeeper like this.
  4. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Fury has definetly turned a corner in his personal life now,he will be in tip top shape for this imo.

5. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Inactivity hurts boxing in general,we are in weird times at the minute,but pandemic aside there is always to much waiting around for the big fights these days

However,I still will not be betting against Fury, have thought he beats Joshua from day one and that hasn't changed

6. Tyistall

Tyistall Member banned Full Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Inactivity will be Fury and his fans' first excuse as to why he got KOed. Then he will promise to be better in the rematch. Bookmark this post if need be

7. oiky

Jan 17, 2014
    We'll see after the fight

You won't be the one saying "I told you so"

(All in good fun btw)

8. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Some if his fans might but fury won't.he will give AJ his props..if he wins of course.

9. oiky

Jan 17, 2014
    Won't be no excuses from me,the better man will win on the night

And I wholeheartedly believe that it is Tyson fury

keysey, Gatekeeper and Wizbit1013 like this.
  10. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    He does more talking than fighting.

Then again, when he does come back, it's usually against dossers anyway...

11. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Following his comeback which we all know about.... training is his "medicine" so yes he will have been keeping himself in top nick.

12. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Oh no they've already started... Fury hasn't fought in a while but he's been training intensively with Sugar Hill Steward. The same trainer that paved Furys way to lopsided win against Deontay Wilder. He should be fine

That amount of time outside the ring would just be an excuse provided Joshua actually manages to upset Fury. Not saying you'll actually make an excuse but im talking about in general

Gatekeeper likes this.
  13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Inactivity might be an issue the first few rounds but once Tyson warms up and shakes off the ring rust he'll be fine.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  14. ButeTheBeast

ButeTheBeast Well-Known Member Full Member

May 27, 2012
    LMAO.

Fury was out of the ring for several years, out of shape and a mess. Returned with two tune-ups and beat the guy that Joshua was afraid of fighting. All within 6 months.

Floyd Mayweather didn't need a tune up before schooling Marquez.

Fury is the same.

15. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    That’s a terrible take to be fair, he edged the first fight and destroyed him the 2nd fight - they were 2 completely different fighters. Fury should be beating Joshua but I don’t think this lay-off helps him at all.