Fury's resume isn't any better than Chris Byrd's

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Glass City Cobra, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Fury's tactics, both outside and inside the ring, elicited profound doubts in a - up to that point - dominant champion.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  2. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Well we can speculate all day about "why" Wladmir was gunshy and looked like crap. All we can do is look at the footage. The logical conclusion is that he wasn't himself and wasn't the same guy who had been dominant for a decade. I don't see how that's even a discussion. These guys have to be trolling.

3. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Well it's a discussion because Wladimir wasn't gun shy in his very next fight vs Joshua, which was as I said arguably the most exciting fight of his career. So I don't think Wladimir was gun shy because of his age. So a reasonable speculation is that Fury's attributes and style aswell as mind games did effect Wladimir. And it's not like Wladimir is known for his aggressive style, he has been in some of the most boring fights in history, where he did little like vs Haye, Povetkin, etc. Its just vs Fury he couldn't use his size and reach to his advantage vs the bigger man.

Greg Price99 and Man_Machine like this.
  4. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    I've always believed that a "logical conclusion" required a valid argument.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    There's no speculation involved if you know anything about his career.

Explain why he was so gunshy against David Haye ? The man landed an average of 2 power punches a round on Haye? TWO.

Look how gunshy he was against Povetkin. Fury made Wlad gunshy , same as how Usyk made prime Gassiev gunshy. What don't you get about it?

And btw , a number of people picked Fury to win based on styles. Because unless an opponent is standing right in front of him , Wlad was always hesitant to throw and engage.

6. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    When you study older fighters you will notice that people don't just suddenly become gunshy over night. It's a hot and cold thing. Some fights they're on point, and the ln suddenly in the 9th round they have a perfect opportunity to throw a counter but they freeze up. The following fight they are executing their combos perfectly. Next fight, they're just throwing pawing jabs and turtling up. It's a gradual process.

Even in the Joshua fight, Wladmir admitted he hesitated too much and didn't pull the trigger when he had Joshua hurt. I didn't say he was gunshy solely because of age, part of it has to do with how much damage and trauma a fighter receives. Moore, Mayweather, Hopkins, Foreman never became gunshy. Guys who got stopped or hurt by brutal shots such as Wladmir, Louis, etc became very hesitant as they got older.

I'm well aware Wladmir had many boring fights, but he would still throw 1-2's and press the issue if eh had someone hurt. He didn't do that in either the Joshua or Fury fights. He was at the end of his rope. Wladmir's punch output was abysmal in the Fury fight even for an older guy.

7. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Wladmir was favored to win 7-2.

8. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    I gave you a valid argument. He didn't look like his usual self and hesitated to throw punches. That is the very definition of a gunshy fighter.

9. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    Your exact words were: "[Wlad] was gunshy and hesitant"

You don't know that Wlad was "gunshy". You just think he was.

If Wlad was hesitant, then there could be a number of reasons for why he was hesitant.

He was the same against Chambers. It's just that Chambers had no armory with which he could capitalize on Wlad's hesitancy.

This content is protected

And, this was when Wlad was in his pomp.

In effect, you have drawn a conclusion both on the basis of a weak or entirely false premise, as well as made a faulty generalization by failing to consider other explanations for why Wlad underperformed.

George Crowcroft and dinovelvet like this.
  10. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I think your slightly overlooking though, that Wladimir had never fought anyone the size of Fury combined with the skill. I think we have to give some credit to Fury even though the fight was dreadful, rather than just putting it down to Wladimir was gun shy.

A big part of Wladimir's success was his superior attributes over other fighters in regards to his reach, size, etc. Now obviously i'm not saying Wladimir was just a big lumbering guy who won every fight based on his size, of course he had good skills for a big man. But this was the first time in his career he didn't have those advantages, and i think it was a combination of a few things. Wladimir being past his best, Fury's size and skill, mind games, etc.

As for the Joshua fight i mean it won Fight Of The Year and it's arguably the best Heavyweight fight of the decade, and it was probably one of Wladimir's most exciting fights. And he did show he had something left in that fight. And to me it shows how styles can make fights, Wladimir was much more offensive vs Joshua but he wasn't vs Fury, so what does that tell you ? clearly Fury's style bothered him more.

And finally lets be honest Wladimir is not a blood and guts warrior, that will put it all on the line looking for KO. Wladimir when he went with Steward become a much more cautious fighter, and he never really come out of that shell and was content with his jab and grab style. Unless he was in complete control and a stoppage opportunity arised.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  11. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    If you watch closely Wlad was visible decline around the time of the Jennings fight. His last prime fight was Pulev and he certain was not gun shy in that one! But by the time Fury meet him he was old and in the decline lacking in motivation.

While Fury was actually motivated and in shape. Fury by the way tested positive for nadrolone, a banned steroid which among other thing burn up fat and make you stronger possibly explaining the reason Fury was shape for this fight. Draw your own conclusions.
    • Fury tested positive for nandrolone after the fight. The result was revealed seven months after the fight and a month after Fury [url]had beaten Wladimir Klitschko[/url].
    I ponder if all posters know this fact. Wlad was much older, under motivated while Fury was at his best weight and plausibly on something.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  12. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    Yes because most people viewed Wlad to be still in his prime and expected him to be too much for inexperienced Fury. The excuses came after Fury outboxed with one arm behind his back.

13. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    I do know that he was gunshy. I have eyes. I can look at the footage and see that he hesitates a lot of doesn't jump on wide open opportunities. More crucially, I can compare the footage of the Fury fight to his other fights and see a stark contrast.

The reason is because he was getting old and had flashbacks to getting bounced off the canvas by guys like Brewster, Sanders, etc. He was worried about running into a nasty shot, had diminished reflexes, and had less confidence in his timing.

So you're going to bring up a fight where Wladmir went for the knockout to disprove me saying he was gunshy in the Fury fight? There is no comparison. You're smarter than that.

My premise wasn't false at all. He looks more hesitant and unsure in this fight more than others. He displayed the same behavior as other gunshy old veterans such as Joe Louis in the Marciano fight. There are literally thousands of people who have notched the same thing by the way, including several posters on this forum and this very thread. A blind man could see he was gunshy and past his prime. That's why he retired.

14. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    So how does that help your claim that many people thought Fury would win? Many people thought Fury was a clown and had no chance.

One arm behind his back? Ok, we're definitely done here lol. I forgot you were the local Klitschko hater.

15. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    Correction , Two arms behind his back. Trunks falling down. Boots on his feet from the 1970's that cut his feet to ribbons. . All facts.

[url]https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article10334086.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200d/0_Wladimir-Klitschko-v-Tyson-Fury-WBA-IBF-WBO-Heavyweight-Titles.jpg[/url]