Fury's Resume

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by ButeTheBeast, Apr 23, 2022.

1. FastLeft

FastLeft Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2022
    He doesn't have a strong resume by the standards set by the all time greats. Nowhere near.
    A win against an undefeated Usyk would do a lot for his record. You could even argue a close loss to Usyk would add more than just retiring now.
    When people look back in years to come.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  2. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Although Fury has a big ego, I don’t think he cares as much about “legacy” as much as users on a boxing forum do.

In my opinion, he can’t claim to be the best unless he beats Usyk, but most of the public and the people around him are prematurely labelling him the best of his generation and that will stick even if he were to retire (which he won’t).

ryanm8655 likes this.
  3. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    It’s not the best of his generation I have a problem with. I’ve woke up and seen people say “best heavyweight ever”. Which I think is ludicrous.

ryanm8655, DJN16, DramaShow and 3 others like this.
  4. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    He has NO Chance against Truly Great & TOP Fighters...

his whole reign was a 'marketable' Protected Giant, Personality, 'Gypsy King' and all such Money Making HYPE.

a 2cd Rate Fighter in a Subpar NEW Division against NO ONE of any serious threat. Marketing, Timing, Hand Picked Opponents and NO AJ!!!

in Ali's time alone, along with Ali there was, Liston, Foley, Young, Cooper, Chuvalo, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, Holmes, BUGNAR (better than ALL Fury's opponents), Spinks and others.

to say nothing of a 100 years before and 20 years after, Tyson, Lewis and Co.

He is NOTHING and has NO Place among any of them H2H or P4P...

and that is why 'Achievement based ratings' are actually Completely MISLEADING, because they wrongly get translated into placement among REAL Greats.

Sorry Fury, nothing personal about you, but a Subpar S-HW Division, against NO ONE and a complete Ducking of the ONLY Proof that would have at least gave you some semblance of credibility.

Pathetic trying to pass this off as TOP Class Boxing.

no fear the REAL Fighters aren't rolling in their graves, the abysmal performances & careers are too obvious to deny.

BEATDOWNZ likes this.
  5. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Which you have a problem with. Which you think is ludicrous.

That's a conflict you are going to have to solve. I don't think that Fury cares - he will lap up all of the plaudits. He doesn't need confirmation.

6. themaster999

themaster999 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Fury has every chance against any fighter of the past based upon his pure size.

DJN16 likes this.
  7. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    In literally the worst fight in the division ever.

And he still is. He can't even do the basics decently.

8. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    People thinking Fury is the best ever is no more ludicrous that thinking its Ali or Tyson or Lewis etc. We will never know because it can never be settled so Fury can be included in the debate with the rest.

He would have a much stronger case if he beat usyk though who himself could well be the greatest cruiserweight of all time (most will say number 2 to holyfield but again we can never know).

The era that these guys are in gives them a big disadvantage in ATG talk.

Klitschko reigned for years, but he couldn't fight the guys Ali or Lewis did to prove anything as they just wernt around, same goes for fury and usyk what can they do ? They just dont have the opposition the greats of the past did to prove themselves.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  9. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Indeed. Now he's an English man, not a Gypsy or an American tribute band. And he's got OCD, so he's mental. And he's a Christian yet commits sin on the regular. Shameless ducking from him and his promoter last night about not fighting on.

10. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I really rate Fury but his resume is far too poor to mention him as an ATG, it compares as down right awful to our own last great heavyweight in Lewis for example. Far too many wasted years and ‘arguably’ not one win over a fighter in his prime. Legacy wise he really needs Usyk and AJ on there to have dominated his own era. The resume argument just leaves you wondering what might have been.

Scissors and BEATDOWNZ like this.
  11. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    He needs Usyk.
    He doesn't need AJ, unless AJ beats Usyk.
    AJ might add a little to his record but not much (unless AJ beats Usyk).
    At this point, saying he needs AJ is almost like saying he needs Ruiz.

12. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Regardless of what you think of Joshua, a win over him puts another Olympian and 2 time unified heavyweight champion with multiple defences on Fury’s resume. Like it or not, wrong or right, AJ has been the household name during the majority of Fury’s era

13. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    He might still fight Usyk.
    Take the retirement talk with a pinch of salt.

14. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    And if Usyk beats AJ twice, and Fury beats Usyk, that renders a subsequent win over AJ of little value in terms of legacy/greatness.
    Sure, it would be a HUGE fight, big big money, great for the fans, and tie up a loose end but there are probably other legitimate challenges out there coming through.

15. FastLeft

Apr 23, 2022
    AJ has lost 2 of his last 4 fights.
    If he loses to Usyk again it becomes 3 of his last 5.
    I think he needs to beat someone before facing Fury.
    If he beats Usyk, that's excellent, but I do doubt it