Fury's size might not help much against Usyk.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Oddone, Oct 13, 2021.

1. MrBarry465

MrBarry465 Active Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2021
    Usyk will be run over by a bulldozer.

I love the guy buy Fury is just too big and too good. He's a bear.

ertwin likes this.
  2. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I agree with you and also Fury is not 6'9''.

[url]https://www.celebheights.com/s/Tyson-Fury-49113.html[/url]

He is clearly not even 6'8''. Too much evidence.

Usyk is a huge problem for any heavyweight, including Fury.

gollumsluvslave and Oddone like this.
  3. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Fury doesn't perform equally well against the likes of Wallin and Cunningham as he does against opponents he feels are a genuine threat to him. He has referred to Usyk as "the Ukrainian master" in the context of AJ-Usyk and picked Usyk to win the day before, so he's not going to go in half-cooked, especially after Usyk will have battered AJ twice. Usyk has the southpaw stance of Wallin and the cruiser speed and slickness of Cunningham, as well as being better than both, so we would see Fury at his fittest, best prepared and most motivated for the challenge.

Wilder wasn't "outjabbing" Fury in a jab battle; he was burning up energy rapidly while Fury was assessing the lay of the land. This is like saying "Chisora was dominating Usyk before he lost his discipline and deviated from the gameplan". Like Wilder, Chisora didn't have the engine to keep up that pace.

If Klitschko's jab was so much better than Fury's, why couldn't he come close to outjabbing a pre-prime 27 year old Fury whose best win prior to that was Cunningham or Chisora? The typical excuse is that Klitschko was "shot" when Wlad hit his absolute prime in his mid-30's and was the most focused, disciplined, motivated and defensively astute HW champion of all time, in an era with superior nutrition, sports science and safety standards, plus he was more active than Fury and fighting at home with A-side advantages. SHW's have better longevity than smaller HW's, just as the lower weight classes hit their primes earlier and tend to burn out faster. The Klitschko who Fury fought was very similar to the Klitschko who went the distance with Sultan and Haye (his best win) less athletic surely but more experienced and on a far longer win streak (and had recently signed a 5 fight extension to his TV contract, so confident was he that he was not in significant decline). This longevity had a strong genetic element as Vitali (who was far more injury prone than Wlad and tended to absorb considerably more punishment in fights) was still a top HW at 41 after 47 pro fights.

Fury's boxing skills are significantly superior to AJ's and he's bigger, more athletic and tougher (physically and mentally). I suspect though that if Fury beats Usyk (and I regard the fight as highly competitive) the excuse will be that Usyk was "shot".

Greg Price99 and MrFoFody like this.
  4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think Fury will go the Klitschko route.

Fight tall, create space and keep him on the end of his outrageously long jab. When Usyk gets close, grab him and squeeze him like a clam.

Make no mistake, I'll be cheering for Usyk but Fury is a difficult fight for him, maybe his hardest.

5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Fixed it for ya.

941Jeremy and Oddone like this.
  6. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Usyk fighting small and with his consummate skillset sure makes for a interesting matchup.

Furys stature is of course a formidable challenge, however if anyone can overcome such a challenge Mr Usyk is that man.

Regarding Furys leaning on opponent tactic, I am unsure why fighters that Fury leans on do not just go to the canvas, being put to the canvas by anything other than opponents fists is illegal, nowhere in rule book does it say you are required to support weight of your opponent.

7. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    The old school tactic would be to drop to a knee and then subtly, but quickly, shoot up to headbutt their chin with the very top of your head as the guy leaning came down. If you do it right it looks like you were simply standing back up after the weight came off.

I was expecting it from Wilder. Never happened.

8. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    size does help no matter what.

9. MixedMartialLaw

MixedMartialLaw combat sports enthusiast Full Member

Jun 30, 2021
    Size wise you have a Super Heavyweight facing a litteral blown-up CW and the SHW is pretty damn skilled himself.

Not saying Usyk can't win but he's got to fight out of his mind to make up that difference.

Eel87, Greg Price99 and BCS8 like this.
  10. Oddone

Aug 18, 2019
    They said the same damn thing before Joshua v Usyk. Too big, too hard of a puncher blah blah blah. Usyk took his manhood.

Fury is a head case and will always be a head case however you are correct in that if Fury is motivated, comes to fight in shape he is a nightmare for anyone.

BCS8 likes this.
  11. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This fight has to happen next. Screw Eddie ''ReMatchroom'' Hearn and AJ. Usyk and Fury won their fights comprehensively in their opponent's backyards and as fearless road warriors couldn't be anymore thoroughly deserving of the opportunity to contest all the marbles. Neither or their fights were close and they won them from champions who fight at home on stacked decks. AJ and The Tuscaloser can fight each other for third place if they want. The fans want to see the final not the semifinal again and again until the snakes in suits get their desired outcome.

Look at the amount of debate this fight between the two kings is generating among fans? The Usyk detractors are still out in force dismissing his chances even though his CV is impeccable and he literally embodies everything that is right and great about the sport in and out of the ring, whereas, boxing sages like myself and my fellow learned scholars keep having to educate them and showing them that they DKSAB and CW Level.

It's an absolutely mouthwatering match up and clash of styles between living breathing gods and it has to happen next :deal:

This content is protected

12. MixedMartialLaw

MixedMartialLaw combat sports enthusiast Full Member

Jun 30, 2021
    If Fury fights as terribly and dumb as Joshua did, doing everything possible to negate his physical advantages he also deserves to lose.

However I don't see that happening, assuming he avoids another bender.

Greg Price99 and Oddone like this.
  13. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Why can't Fury lean on Usyk?

14. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I think a lot of the time with wilder...fury would punch him then fall in thats where he got the successful clinch off. He wasnt just grabbing wilder.

If he doesnt get that first punch off on usyk...it does become a case of just trying to grab him...bearing in mind usyk can go everywhich way with his feet...that wont be near as easy as he had it with wilder.

15. Oddone

Aug 18, 2019