Gary Sykes Twitter

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Patter983, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Because no one really cares. It's a dog eat dog world.

2. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Last thing he needs is jail, he's unstable as hell, he's high as a kite at the moment, a massive low is on its way and he needs looking out for massively. He's going to do something imo where he'll be properly sectioned, he thinks he's a super hero ffs

Holler likes this.
  3. BigDoofus

BigDoofus Active Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Where is everyone when this happens to Emergency workers?
    The guy is a danger to the public and shouldn't be on the streets.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  4. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    It's a fair point Doofus but this lad was surrounded by back slappers a couple of years ago. Now he is obviously seriously ill, where are these people who should be helping and supporting him ?

DJN16 likes this.
  5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Let's be honest here, I think every boxer or athlete should be aware that their career will be over when they are still relatively YOUNG people. And that they need to plan or at least be prepared for a life after.
    It's not up to the fans to carry them through life.
    They have the same responsibilities as the rest of us.

DJN16 and kojak like this.
  6. Little brian

Little brian Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Maybe people are trying to help him? We don't know

LoadedGlove likes this.
  7. high tower

high tower Active Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2008
    He worked until well into his career. I think at a card designers , and an office job to boot. Not sure what happened to him.

Maybe the manic energy in him is what made him so good, and now there’s no where to direct it.

8. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Whilst I agree to a degree, it still amazes me there seems to be a serious lack of help for boxers dealing with life after retirement...from other boxers.

Is there any kind of organisations out there that helps ex-pro boxers with life after the ring?

9. high tower

Mar 27, 2008
    Barry :McGuidan tried to set one up.

10. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I really think boxers need better guidance and advice for planning for the future. I know it seems like quite a simple thing but a lot of them haven't got anything else in their lives when it's over and then they fall apart like Gary Sykes.

DJN16 likes this.
  11. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Should be a percentage taken off the highest purses to help cover medical and mental health problems for retired fighters. Something like one or two percent off every purse over say half a million.

Guys who would miss it the least. Would love to see something like that set up. Anything not spent could go into grassroot boxing something like that. Wouldnt solve all the problems but could go a long way to helping struggling ex fighters.

12. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    Wouldn't want to see a man like him near the financial side of things if it was set up, hes never to far away from a court case down to his management of money related situations with fighters

13. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    But at the same time, you got to have a bit of foresight in life, plan for the future like everyone else on the planet, especially some of the wages boxers are pulling in, they know its not gonna last forever. Everyman for himself like every other walk of life

EJC83 and ryanm8655 like this.
  14. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Exactly that, it doesn't take an expert to realise that you are going to need to be doing something else by the time you are in your 30's unless something special happens. No disrespect to Gary Sykes but he doesn't come across as the brightest spark and I think that's the same for a lot of professionals so they probably don't really think about things like that until it's too late, living in the moment until it's gone.

Somali Sanil and Patter983 like this.
  15. high tower

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeah wouldn’t leave him in charge of the cookie jar.