Gene Fullmer v.s Marvin Hagler

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bad_Intentions, Jul 24, 2007.

1. OLD FOGEY

OLD FOGEY Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Who are the lots of guys. Tiger didn't outbox him. His other losses came early in his career. He was able to beat Spider Webb badly twice. He would give Hagler trouble.

2. OLD FOGEY

OLD FOGEY Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2006
    I would take Hagler and I agree there is next to no chance Fullmer knocks Hagler out. I could see Fullmer winning, though, with his clutch and punch style. I don't think he would have tried to keep Hagler off. I think he would have crowded Hagler, and he was quick enough and strong enough to maybe make it work for an upset decision in at least 1 of 3 fights.

The Morlocks likes this.
  3. Raging B(_)LL

Raging B(_)LL KAPOW!!! Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    How much film have you actually seen of Fullmer? And like I said to you in the other thread about the LaMotta/Hearns matchup, don`t be fooled by KO records... just because Fullmer did not have a impressive knockout record does not mean he didn`t hit hard.

He wasn`t a one punch KO kind of guy granted, but ask anyone who ever fought him and they will tell you he could hit pretty damn hard. And if KO Lausse couldn`t put him away after landing his cannonball left hook on Gene, Marv sure as hell won`t either.

Oh and by the way, Lausse did have a rather impressive KO record which you seem to put so much stock in, but he was a genuinely hard hitting middleweight. Go watch Lausse` KO of Chico Varona for proof, he nearly decapitated him with his left hook.

louis54 and red cobra like this.
  4. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Excellent analysis. Agreed.

JC40 and red cobra like this.
  5. ray fritz

ray fritz Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    salsanchez fan you bring some good info. FOR those think Fullmer couldnt box look at 2nd Dick Tiger bout DRAW after 15 rounds,hahaha.

The Morlocks and red cobra like this.
  6. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Hagler outpoints the stronger Fullmer....he does not stop Gene Fullmer!!

7. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped him though,welterweight Gil Turner managed it.By all accounts Fullmer had trouble with Fernandez when the left hooker turned rightie on him,to be fair Fullmer broke a bone in his arm in the 14th rds.I've never been a fan of Fullmer's but it cannot be denied he was awkwardly effective and very strong, and rather dirty imo.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    JC40, robert ungurean and red cobra like this.
  8. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I would agree with this pick

red cobra and robert ungurean like this.
  9. clinikill

clinikill Active Member Full Member

May 24, 2010
    Hagler via comfortable decision. I don't think anyone beats a prime Hagler.

10. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Hagler, comfortably

11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Hagler likely by decision.

12. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Gene Fullmer
    55 W 6 L 3 D
    His 3 draws were SRR, Tiger, & Giardello.

Fullmer went 2/3 with Gil Turner, and had that controversial draw with Joey Giardello in a title defense.

Here are the 3 fights when the younger Fullmer was clearly outboxed:

1955-11-25
    Eduardo Lausse 63 6 1
    UD victory for Lausse

1955-09-28 : Gene Fullmer 155 lbs lost to Bobby Boyd 161¼ lbs by UD in round 10 of 10

"Gene Fullmer, who last week was ranked as the worlds 4th middleweight, was another run-of-the-mill fighter today after a 10 round defeat at the hands of Bobby Boyd Wednesday night. Fullmer gave away weight at 155 to Boyd's 161, and he was at a disadvantage too in height and reach. Boyd took full advantage of these breaks to pile up points steadily with his counter-punching. Boyd made most of his points on a very questionable knockdown in the 3rd round. Fullmer, rushing into action, slipped on a wet spot on the canvas and as he was toppling, Boyd landed a left to the head. Referee Tony Zale motioned Fullmer to wipe off his gloves as he arose immediately, but timer Mike Murphy began counting and Zale held Fullmer out of action until the mandatory count of eight. Fullmer carried the fight most of the way, but Boyd's counter-punching was adept and he protected himself well when forced against the ropes by the rushes of Fullmer. Despite Boyd's dominance of the bout, the scoring under the Illinois "10 point must" system was close." -United Press

Post fight comment

• "It was a combination punch, but a questionable knockdown, he slipped too." -Referee Tony Zale, on the 3rd round knockdown.

Gene Fullmer vs. Gil Turner (1st meeting)
    1955-04-04 : Gene Fullmer 154 lbs lost to Gil Turner 151 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
    "Comebacking Gil Turner of Philadelphia unleashed a blistering body assault tonight to hand Gene Fullmer the first defeat of the Utah scrapper's pro career at Eastern Parkway Arena. Turner floored Fullmer in the 6th round enroute to a unanimous 10 round decision. The superbly conditioned Turner nullified Fullmer's long-range power by getting inside. He teed off with thumping body blows and mixed it up with short flurries to the head. After hitting the deck in the 6th, Fullmer rallied in the 8th to rock Turner with a hook to the jaw. But Gil came back himself at the end of the frame to blunt Gene's rally. Fullmer bled from the nose from the 2nd round on." -Associated Press

• Unofficial AP scorecard - 7-3 Turner

In the same year 1955, FULLMER OUTPOINTED A MASTER BOXER PAUL PENDER
    1955-02-14 : Gene Fullmer 156 lbs beat Paul Pender 159½ lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
    A right hand to the jaw in the 4th round, floored Pender for a one count. Fullmer piled up a comfortable lead in the bout during the first five rounds. Pender fought back hard in the last five rounds, to make the bout competitive.

Fullmer was cut over his left eye, 15 seconds into the fight and had a bloody nose by the end of the 1st round. Fullmer was cut over his right eye in the 2nd round, and also finished with a cut on the bridge of his nose.

Attendance: 1,320

Source: New York Times

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    JC40 and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  13. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Fullme r might beat h agler and monzon....had the style to do it.....perhaps

14. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Watch the Sibson Hagler fight, Marvin chops up Fulmers face and stops him late.

15. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    That seems to simplistic....what does Sibson have to do with Fullmer? By this logic I could say watch Hagler vs Antuofermo I and It is a controversial draw.

Now I do pick Hagler to win, but the Sibson fight is a microcosm at best of how this fight would go.

JC40 likes this.