Gene Tunney: Is he a top 10 ATG heavyweight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JAB5239, May 21, 2011.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Nah, I like Foreman Hook's posts ! :good
    He's top quality. :yep

I think he's wrong about Dempsey, obviously.

2. JAB5239

JAB5239 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Instead of regurgitating the opinions of people who are long dead why don't you try forming one of your own?

Lets discuss his heavyweight resume and comp in comparison to other heavyweight greats. You keep dodging this issue in order to troll a spew lies that I have never said.

You can talk about Tunney's talent all you want, Im not going to disagree. But you can't change the fact he only fought 4 fighters at heavyweight that give him credibility at that weight. He simply has no depth there. If Im wrong than state your case and quit avoiding this point.

3. quarry

quarry Guest

i ain't avoiding anything from you.. i would like nothing better than to debate Tunneys heavyweight resume against other Heavyweight champions resumes but the downside of it is that debating with you is not possible because you know nothing whatsoever about the sport of boxing. i have become accustomed to your tirade's over the last 6 months and never known you be able to debate boxing with anyone. all you do is spew the same lines out over and over again of Langford this Langford that, Greb this Greb that.. just because your mummy bought you 2 books for xmas you think you are the new Nat Fliescher but the reality is that your a Joke who rates Tommy Morrison as being up there with the All time Greats :lol:
    List your All Time Top 10 Heavyweights and i will happily debate Tunneys resume against their's....

4. JAB5239

Feb 23, 2008
    This content is protected

There you go son. Would you like to start with Marciano and work your way to Ali, or should I just expect you to go straight for Lewis? :yep

5. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    How many really top-class HW contenders did Foreman fight ?
    Is it many more than Tunney ?

6. JAB5239

Feb 23, 2008
    Like I've said, I only consider 4 names on Tunney's resume to be top fighters and 1 was coming off a 3 year layoff. Among others Foreman has Lyle, Chuvalo, Frazier 2x, Norton, Peralta and Moorer. Ad in Ali, young, Holyfield and some other contenders and its very solid. And his entire career was spent at this weight which goes towards divisional longevity.

7. quarry

quarry Guest

On the other forum you started a post claiming Marciano, Dempsey & Frazier was NOT Top 10 Fighters yet here you have taken Tommy Morrison out of your Top 10 and placed Marciano in at No10... so we will start with Marciano who has Charles x2 Moore, Walcott x2 Louis as the Top quality fighters in his resume yet Charles & Moore was 160-175lb fighters in their prime & Walcott & Louis was both shot, throw in LaStarza & Cockell who was both Class C fighters... Has Marciano beaten better than Gene Tunney?...was he more dominant than Gene Tunney ?... in a H2H would he beat Gene Tunney?

8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Look, if you're going to include guys like Peralta "and some other contenders", you need to include men like Erminio Spalla, Charley Weinert, Bartley Madden for Tunney.
    IMO.

9. JAB5239

Feb 23, 2008
    Charles and Walcott were both heavyweight champions and Moore was a contender for years at both 175 and heavy. Were these fighters anymore "shot" than Dempsey coming off a 3 year hiatus?

Your question of who Marciano beat that was better than Tunney is ridiculous because it goes both ways. Who did Tunney beat better than Marciano? And don't bother with a faded Dempsey because that isn't going to fly.

On top of all this Marciano has longevity in the division.

Do you really want to get into "class c fighters? Lets discuss O'Dowd who had won 2 fights, drew in won and lost 8 since his last meeting with Tunney. Be careful the can of worms you open. You claim incomplete records on fighters, but you have NO proof of it. Certainly its possible, but going by what we have available Tunney fought some pretty shoddy heavyweights. Now you can counter that so did Ricky and plenty of others, but they all have more than 10 fights at that weight with proven heavyweight longevity.

Finally.....49-0 (44) all at heavyweight.

Next!!

10. Yes. Tunney did beat Dempsey , and other v. Good Fighters .

I would even go as far as to say he wud "Beat" Muhamad Ali
    on points .

11. JAB5239

Feb 23, 2008
    I have no problem with that.

12. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    So, Tunney's resume against relevant HW contenders isn't that far behind, is it ?
    That's the way I see it anyway.

13. quarry

quarry Guest

Dempsey was not shot..he showed in his fight with Jack Sharkey that he was still a very formidable fighting machine .

Marciano's opposition included no one of the caliber of Jack Dempsey infact it was old men in Moore, Charles, Louis & Walcott all of who could give Dempsey quite a few years.

14. quarry

quarry Guest

No8 Sonny Liston - who's claim to Top 10 imortality is twice beating Floy Patterson yet you claim him to be Top 10 material and Genne Tunney nowhere

15. JAB5239

Feb 23, 2008
    I never said Dempsey was shot. But he certainly wasn't even close to the same fighter. Do you disagree?

Moore, Charles and Walcott were all at or near the very top of the division when Rocky fought them. That cannot be disputed. And I didn't bring up Louis because even though its a nice name for his resume, even though at that point Louis was still better than almost all of Tunney's heavyweight comp, he was long past his best and looked old when they fought.