Gene Tunney Vs Joe Calzaghe, who wins?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BitPlayerVesti, Nov 21, 2020.

1. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Some interesting parallels between these two.

2. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Calzaghe wins on points, the sport had evolved lots by then and their balance is far better and they know more in terms of they know more ways to set up punches nowadays

3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think Tunney is pretty bad for Calzhage. Hopkins used his positioning and counters to lower Cal's output, I think Tunney would do similar but also use body punching to do it a bit better.

70sFan865 likes this.
  4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Tunney would quickly figure out that Calzaghe was busier than him, and that trying to outbox him on the outside was a bad idea.

He would then switch to the front foot, and go for a body attack, which would quickly turn the fight in his favor.

Calzaghe had never been stopped, so I will venture Tunney on points.

70sFan865 likes this.
  5. Knights107

Knights107 Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2015
  6. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
  7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    By the descriptions from his day, Greb sounded like a smaller Calzaghe, a quick, shifty, high-output guy who used tons of angles.

Tunney's game was pretty basic, linear, not terribly imaginative... a poor man's Henry Maske, if you will. Nice on film but mostly fighting scrubs.

Calzaghe by convincing decision.

BCS8 likes this.
  8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Tunney takes this,,,I like Joe but I see no one on his resume that makes me think he beats Gene Tunney.

9. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I was 50-50 on this matchup, tbh. Tunney is really a good boxer on the outside.

Then Seamus reminded me of the parallels (probably) between Greb, who gave Tunney problems, and Calzaghe. That tilts my opinion towards a Calzaghe decision. These are both top-of-the-line guys in their eras. Not that easy to evaluate.

roughdiamond likes this.
  10. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I always got the impression Greb was a much rougher fighter than Calzaghe, and not as 'consistent' (if that is the right word, maybe 'set'?) in his Boxing compared to Joe, who was a stand out amateur.

I do agree with you that this is a tough fight for both, and I definitely see Calzaghe confusing Tunney in the beginning. I don't think he'd get stopped by Tunney, but that is a bit of a what if IMO. I can see it as being one of the hard to score fights where Tunney might have some more effective blows, especially towards the end, but Calzaghe would try swamping over him and land at a higher rate, and going around him with his feet.

I can see this, in a best of 3 scenario, being a match up where Calzaghe wins the 1st bout but Tunney adjusts and wins the other 2.

BCS8 likes this.
  11. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Tunney is actually a good body puncher. He's got more pop too. I think Calzhage chin becomes suspect at 175 and higher. Tunney would out punch him and like you said lower his punch output.

12. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I think Gerb was more like Zivic, with Leonard's speed and Rosenblooms punch out put.

13. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    This is funny actually. Tunney beats the hell out of him. The sport evolving my ###