Gene Tunney vs Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Big Ukrainian, Dec 6, 2017.

1. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Tunney by SD. I'd be rooting for Marciano to prove me wrong and wouldn't be to surprised if he did.

2. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    If this is a 10 round fight... Maybe Tunney could run enough to win. If this is 12 or 15, I wouldn't bet on it, and I think Tunney gets brutalized in the process

JC40 likes this.
  3. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Well Tunney had all the trouble he could handle against an admittedly unique swarmer in Greb who was no more than a Super Middleweight.
    How would he handle the intense, incessant and unrelenting pressure that Marciano would subject him to, bearing in mind also that Rocky was the best part of a couple of stone heavier, stronger and hit infinitely harder than Greb.

bodhi, JC40 and Seamus like this.
  4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    It should also be factored that Tunney added 15lbs of muscle to his frame as he went up the weights.

BCS8 and Hookandjab like this.
  5. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Yes point taken Mac, and also Tunney was always in shape.
    I just wonder what particular style gave him problems, Greb’s obviously did, but there again Greb was a one off.
    The general point I was making was that although Marciano wasn’t exactly a swarmer in the Greb mould (who was!) was Tunney averse to the intense high pressure type of opponent that Rocky was?
    There again he only lost once so whatever was put in front of him he obviously found a way!

mcvey likes this.
  6. 5016

5016 Member Full Member

May 3, 2014
    Turpin was probably the strongest middleweight ever from Britain. By all accounts he hit freakishly hard even at light heavy.

7. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    In a10 rounder...probably Tunney. 15 sounds? Rocky.

8. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Tunney would be the most skilled fighter that Marciano fought

9. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Ezzard Charles

10. bodhi

bodhi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2009
    I don't think Marciano gets beaten by any fighter around his weight with the exception of maybe Dempsey due to the fast-slow starting discrepancy.

11. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    I might consider Tunney an edge over Charles. Probably on par actually, thanks for mentioning him.

12. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    C'mon people !! The Rock is going to be right there in front of Tunney and he is going to land!! And when he does that Power is going to send Gene on the canvas same as Prime Dempsey would do!! Just going to take a lil longer with Rock but it is going to happen... I see this as a bad 12 -15 round match up for the Fighting Marine

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    bodhi likes this.
  13. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    That's where your wrong , Ali is very relevant to the thread BC he moved around the ring just as much as Tunney but had better fire power coming back. Marciano also did a computer fight with Ali and he got a pretty good ideas how hard Ali would have actually been in the ring with....

However Ali liked Marciano's chances to win more than anyone up until that point just based on those sparring sessions .

Marciano stops Tunney late. Nothing hard to hit if a grinder grinds you down while hopping around like a bunny with your hands down chest level.

Moore and co. aren't even being talked about here....BC its about Tunney isn't it? Lol

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Turpin scaled 162.5lbs when he ko'd the 174.25lbs C*ckell,my point being ,the Marciano fight notwithstanding,C*ckell wasn't a testament to durability!

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You get a line on how Marciano would do against a prime Tunney because of how he shaped in a, pulled punches scripted computer fight with a retired Ali? How ridiculous are you!

As I pointed out you are basing your opinion of Tunney on his fights with Dempsey.
    Tunney was quite capable of fighting in the trenches he didn't "hop like a bunny ,"as you suggest.He ws an excellent counterpuncher and threw a fast and accurate straight ring hand.
    Strange that Tunney would not be hard for Marciano to hit, yet faster more skilled men found it hard to do so?
    Apart from Dempsey ,who even knocked him down?
    Past prime Charles went a competitive 15rds with Marciano,and he fought him toe to toe at times.
    Why couldn't the fleeter, faster Tunney have equal success?
    There is no primary sourced quote that Ali said Marciano would have been his hardest fight.Ali contradicted himself all the time on this subject.
    Marciano imo, would actually have been an easier fight than several others including Dempsey,Louis,Johnson, Frazier,Walcott,,and later,Lewis,Bowe,Holyfield,Tyson,Wlad.He was slow afoot and into range ,short armed, and a bleeder.

This content is protected

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017