General strategic advice guide

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by ChrisPontius, Apr 3, 2009.

1. stew

stew New Member Full Member

Apr 7, 2010
    That Joe Frazier fight was great and informative, especially for shorter, more compact fellows like me. Now I know why Tyson was such a big fan!

2. boxexpert

boxexpert Active Member Full Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Congratz,its been a long time since i saw such a great thread in here.

there nothing to add, everything is explained properly.But heres a hint:

There are basically four type of fighters:

1. the puncher or the KO boxer
    2. the pressure fighter
    3. the maneuver boxer
    4. the allrounder/universal boxer

All those type of boxers can be found on the good examples above. The next step is,how to box/fight them:

1. it takes some guts to fight such a guy. Since we know what a type of fighter he is, we have to "provoke" and evaluate whats coming: punchers arent usually technically versatile,the rely on their favourite punch or combo; say right cross,left upper.
    once we know whats coming,we use feints to make him throw his bombs and let him (hopefully) miss :). Then its time to give the appropriate answer.

2. those type of boxers arent usually the quickest. The key here is to cover him with fast and explosive 1-2, 1-2-3 combos and lateral movements.

3. this is where No 2 come into place. That type of boxer usually moves back and forth with punching/counterpunching. The key here is to keep him busy; put pressure on him and never stop. Having a good cover is needless to add,but many still do forget that. This requires a lot of stamina and is probably the toughest fighting style.

4. That type of boxer can pretty much do everything. Fortunately, they are very rare :) But here comes No 1 into place: since he is technically superior,it makes no sense to keep up. The key to brawl and rely on KO power.

3. PaddyD1983

PaddyD1983 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Dont come into this forum very often but having seen this thread I should do alot more often!

Been a while since I was in the ring but looking back now I think the one type of fighter I struggled with the most was people who were stronger than me. The weight I fought at often meant I was fighting taller fighters. I was fairly comfortable fighting on the inside but found that when I came up against boxers who were physically stronger than me (not necessarily bigger hitters), they were able to tie me up on the inside and nullify my work. Anyone got any tips on how to not get tangled in a clinch when on the inside? I obviously hit the weights but found it harder to control my weight and didnt want to go up any further (I'm cursed with muscular legs and a fat arse, so I was never boiling down).

Cheers

4. bbqbarnes

bbqbarnes Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Thanks for the advice man its hard to find any good advice "for" a tall fighter lol :)

5. usarmy6440

usarmy6440 All day everyday BEASt Full Member

Apr 4, 2011
    What happen to part 2 of facing a counter puncher :( instrested to see what you had to say

6. usarmy6440

usarmy6440 All day everyday BEASt Full Member

Apr 4, 2011
    double post stupid net

7. eather

eather New Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2012
  8. eather

eather New Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Great thread good advice from everyone

9. VanSparring

VanSparring New Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2014
    There is a new website for amateur and professional fighters looking for sparring partners. This is a great tool to use to build a sparring network. Please check it out abd let me know what you think. You can join for less than $1 with promo code VanSparr. Join now while the prices are low. Website vansparringpartners.com

10. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    this thread is great im going to recommend it to a few people that could benefit from it

11. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    very informative thread for the beginner