Gennadiy Golovkin Is SHOT, People.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Pakkuman, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Dude has been on the slide since the Kell Brook fight and it's clear that the man is shot now. Not diminished, not faded, shot.

The man never had speed before... Now he's just a slow ass puncher. The snap is gone from his piston jab and his hooks lack the force and thudding power of days past.

I guess the motor is still there, but dude is now showing when he's hurt.

Kills me to say it, but he lost to SD last night. The girl I was watching the fight with (who has zero boxing knowledge and zero bias — well, she did think GGG was cute) felt like SD won as well.

Canelo stops him now. And I think the roided blocks of concrete that Canelo hit him with in fight 1 really took something out of him.

AdamT and lewis gassed like this.
  2. Paul geczi

Paul geczi Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2017
    How is he shot . At 37 he had just become the ibf middleweight champion of the world . He has gone to toe to toe with a very dangerous and very good fighter who is world champion level . For ****s instead of slagging the guy off just look at what he has achieved last night .

DON1, Oddone, IsaL and 10 others like this.
  3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    He won the fight. Close but the KD sealed the deal.

That said, he's bordering on being shot. This is not the GGG we have always known.

Could it be that SD raised his game and showed his true level? Maybe.

Could it be that Golovkin was sick the week before the fight like Banks and Hearn claim? IDK. Could be. But camps also have excuses for poor performances.

Could it be that at 37 years old, 40ish pro fights and 400 amateur ones, that the ageless wonder has finally gotten old? I think that's more likely. Lest we forget, even guys like Hagler were shot at 32 not so long ago.

kk17, Reinhardt, Northadox and 4 others like this.
  4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I agree with this. But, he's also not the fighter he was 4 years ago.

5. granth

granth Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Logged on to see what tier of awfulness and hyperbole would be posted after last night's fight. Yeah not disappointed. GGG is not shot. He's 37. Time catching up. Still Elite level just not the same guy he was 5 years ago. Go figure...

rodney, The Senator, Eel87 and 5 others like this.
  6. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    He is not in his prime anymore that is a given but he is far from shot. Last night was a great fight no matter who you thought should have gotten the decision. Both men brought it and delivered an excellent fight.

DON1, Ironmanmt, BCS8 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Paul geczi

Paul geczi Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2017
    But nobody is . Time as caught up with him but if Love to see what fighters canelo will fighting at 37

BCS8 likes this.
  8. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Mayweather was shot when he beat Pacquaio 12-nothing. Dude was on the slide since Mosley fight.

rodney, MrFoFody, Gatekeeper and 3 others like this.
  9. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    GGG is now renamed to EEE - excuses, excuses, excuses

he was sick, unmotivated, old last night

10. Dirsspaardis

Dirsspaardis Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Speed and timing have certainly diminished, precision gone down, he missed a lot even with the left and his footwork didn’t make sense to me at times.

Derev came to fight and fight he did, excellent performance and display of a iron rod for a backbone, I was pretty impressed with how he went from looking scared in the first two to going on offensive and unleashing more punches on Golovkin than anyone before.
    Either this was the fight of Derevs life, Golovkin had an “off” night or he truly is too far past it. Any combination of these are possible.

gdm likes this.
  11. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Part of me agrees wholeheartedly with the sentiment that he is no longer the same fighter he was.

But then part of me thinks signs of his decline have been there since late 2016 which is exactly when his competition level stepped up.

Brook, Jacobs, Canelo and now Derevyanchenko can all be argued to be his best opponent's and they're the ones who have shown gaps in his armoury.

Are those gaps due to age or due to him fighting better opponents? I honestly don't know what the answer is.

Don't get me wrong, I think he beat Jacobs, Canelo and SD and I think he's a bona-fide ATG in the division. But I also can't help but think if his competition level stepped up sooner maybe we never would have seem him as a h2h monster.

Pre 2016 who are his best wins? Lemmy, Munroe, Murray, Rubio, Geale, Stevens, Macklin, Proksa.

It seems evident to me that the post 2016 list is on a higher level than the pre 2016 list. It also seems evident to me that the post 2016 list pushed Golovkin harder than the pre 2016 list. Finally it is evident the post 2016 lost have faced an older Golovkin than the pre 2016 list.

Has Golovkin aged or was his dominance a sign of lesser opponents. That's a question I think will be asked forever more about this man.

He first picked up his belt in 2010 and it took him 5 years to secure his first unification.

As great as I think GGG has been, there's question marks about him that can never be answered.

12. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    His snap IS gone. Not sure that constitutes shot but diminished absolutely. 37 is old. And he is a clean fighter. Lot of guys are not

13. Dirsspaardis

Dirsspaardis Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2017
    For me, what answers your question is how avoided he was in his prime and even early 30s.
    Sturm, Cotto, Martinez, Canelo, Saunders, Eubank Jr, Ward (to some extent, I think physical threat was only part of the problem, the other just inconvenience due to weight and legal stuff so lots to lose not so much to gain) didn’t want that smoke and I’m sure these guys knew what’s up.
    Now imagine all of them added to his resume at those specific times when they ducked him and we have our answer. Only one who stood the chance to beat him was Ward, the rest would’ve made for a ATG destruction list.

alexland and BCS8 like this.
  14. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He ain't shot but he's far from peak

kk17, Reinhardt, The Senator and 2 others like this.
  15. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    What is your point with that comment? Trying to understand where you are coming from.

Bofo24 and BCS8 like this.