Gennady Golovkin ATG Middleweight Ranking

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DavidBarnes, Mar 17, 2020.

1. christpuncher

christpuncher Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Both extremely tough blokes but Golovkin has every advantage over LaMotta. LaMotta is made for him.

2. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    at best he drew and lost to Canelo and nobody is ever going to discussing those other guys after they retire. Hell, nobody discusses them much now. So thanks for proving my point. He fought nobody. Pretending hes anywhere near the top ten is ludicrous.

3. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    You really a grade A hater.

No one gave Canelo the win in the first fight. GGG won that 116-112.

The second fight the majority of educated opinion also gave it to GGG. It was closer yes, but GGG outlanded Canelo and landed the heavier shots.

So there you have it. GGG 2-0 Canelo.

Mendoza likes this.
  4. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Lol

5. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Fact

6. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    But the guy didn't say Canelo won the first fight. He called it a draw , which it was.

In the second fight it was actually Canelo who landed all the heavy shots and you can look it up on punch stats if you don't believe me.

If Golovkin landed the majority of power shots , people would be praising Canelo's chin , but its always Golovkins that gets worshiped. Nobody gets credit for having an iron chin without eating a boatload of power shots.

In the 24 rounds of boxing , you could count the amount of clean power shots Canelo took on one hand.

7. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    So, you have to literally rewrite history to boost Golovkin's rating. That's how bad Golovkin's ledger is.

8. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    The second Canelo fight could've gone either way granted but the first fight was a clear GGG win and everyone apart from Canelo fanboys like yourself know it, it was on par with Lewis-Holyfield I and Whitaker-Chavez.

9. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Well so were Lewis-Holyfield I and Whitaker-Chavez by that logic but do you think they actually were.

10. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    Sorry, but there's no comparison between Lewis/Holyfield I and Golovkin/Canelo I.

11. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    So you saying you think Canelo won the first fight?

12. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    The middleweight division, without a, doubt one of the four most essential divisions in boxing.

Ranking the best in division history is no easy task, partly because the rich history dates back to the 1840's, and many of the best matches were never filmed or have become lost films.

Generally speaking, most historians or serious fans would place the names Gerb, Robinson, Hagler, Monzon, Walker, and Fitzsimmons in their top ten, and all would make the top 15. I'm not going to argue these six men don't belong. Instead, I will at times use them as a benchmark to show why Golovkin belongs in the top 15 in the history of the division. After all, if they are a consensus of the top ten, and Golovkin compares favorably or equal in many areas, he most certainly belongs.

Professional Ring Record 40-1-*1. 87% KO ratio. World Title belts held. WBA, WBC, and IBF.

Key take aways

1 ) Golovkin won all three major belts, away some define the real champion in modern times hamstrung by politics. Such a feat is rare.

2 ) Golovkin, at age 36 is the only undefeated middle champion in the history of the sport. The Rocky Marciano of modern times for middleweight with a twist. Golovkin beat his best past his prime, while Rocky beat his best when his opponents were mostly past their primes. This separates Golovkin from the pack of history. #1 in this department as everyone else lost at least once at 160 pounds. Which other middleweight if any was undefeated at the age of 36?

Successful title defenses 20* ( Many think GGG won the second fight with Canelo )

Key takeaways:

1 ) Only Hopkins has ( 20 ), and legends like Monzon and Hagler have 14, and 12 respectively. Golovkin is in elite company.

Style and skills

Without a doubt Golovkin is a swarming attacker with rare power, who can target the head or the body, but his style and power alone do not define him. In my opinion, he's got one of the top jabs in the history of the division. His power rates as no worse than 3rd best of alltime ( 87%KO ratio ) and he also has one of the top chins, as he was never floored in 38 professional matches...or ever floored in 350 amateur matches. This unheard of for any division. 388 matches with never being knocked down. Amazing.

Key Take away: Golovkin rates #1 in KO percentage among all middleweight champions, and he is the only one never to be floored. He can win by outboxing and landing with his jab, with his power, or by slugging. The chances of knocking him out in 388 boxing matches is a statistical zero.

Winning his best matches past his prime.

Among the greats, one has to ask when did they retire? Gerb was only 32, he died young, but was slowing at this age. Hagler, just 32. Walker and Mozon, age 34. By retiring when they did, each man prevented further losses. The interesting point here is Golovkin, won key matches past his prime at age 34-35, vs. style matchup that past their prime boxers have the most trouble against. That is speedy/defensive fighters.

Golovkin defeated the following men at 34-37

Wade, who as undefeated at age 26
    Brook, who was undefeated at age 30.
    Jacobs, who was 34-1 at age 30
    Canelo who was was 49-1-1 at age 27, GGG was 35.
    Derevyanchenko who was 13-1 at age 33. GGG was 37.

What we have here is rare, an older champion defeating much young raked opponents in their prime. Only the true greats can do this. Which other middle weigh tis any defeated ring magazine ranked opponents past the age of 35? I have to check, I would say very few/

The majority of media scorecards correctly had GGG as the winner, and it appears Canelo who refused to weight in the night of the fight, was on PEDS,

In the amateurs, Golovkin drafted name professionals such as Matvey Korobov (RUS) 19:10, Andy Lee (29:9), Lucian Bute (stoppage).

Pound for pound status.

The pinnacle any boxer can hope for. Golvokin is currently #1 in Ring Magazine pound for pound ratings. Ring Magazine ratings, though not 100% perfect are boxing best ratings. How many former middleweight champions have been #1 pound for pound, a term coined for Sugar Ray Robison? VERY FEW. Anyone want to count?

Quality of opposition beaten.

This is the one area where critics have a point, but to be fair, it's not like Golovkin had a chance to fight hall of fame fighters. Mayweather would never fight him, not even if the IRS was after him and his net worth was zero. Nor world Cotto, who would have undoubtedly been knocked out. I also feel Martinez, wanted no part of GGG either.

But I did a count of fighters Golovkin defeated that was ring magazine annually ranked. I do not have access to monthly rankings so this number could be higher.

Geale ( KO WIN )
    Murray ( KO WIN )
    Lemieux ( KO WIN )
    Jacobs ( Decision )
    Rubio ( KO WIN )
    Macklin ( KO WIN )
    Stevens ( KO WIN )
    Canelo 1st fight ( Bogus Draw )
    Derevyanchenko ( Decision )

So GGG in these fights GGG is officially 8-0-1 but should be 9-0.

Now for the closing. While Golovkin's opponents beaten doesn't stand out, he blew many of them away and edged others past his prime. Did other top ten all time greats lost to lesser fighters than GGG fought? Absolutely! How about some examples? Read on...

Hagler lost to Monroe and Watts. Hagler also drew with Antuofermo. I think Jacobs and Canelo are equal to or better than the opponents Hagler lost to or drew with.

Monzon lost to Aguilar, Cambeiro, Massi who was only 2-0 and drew NINE times. I think Jacobs and Canelo are equal to or better then the guys Monzon lost to or drew with

Greb lost to some guys you probably never heard of! Bartfield, Chip, Graves, Borrell, Keiser, Graves ( TKO Loss ), I'll skip the numerous draws and his first 20 bouts. I think Jacobs and Canelo are equal to or better then the guys Greb lost to or drew with.

Walker lost to Delmont making his debut ( KO Loss ), Smith, making his debut ( KO Loss ), Gradwell, S. O'Brien twice, Pitts, Shade, Bogash, Ward, Nelson, Malone, Latzo, and Dundee. I'll skip the four draws and name losses. I think Jacobs and Canelo are equal to or better than the guys Walker, lost to or drew with.

Looking back, its hard to imagine if video and web were around back then, 'cause modern fans would rip them to pieces.

Loudon and DavidBarnes like this.
  13. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Im not a Canelo fanboy. I couldnt care less about either of these guys frankly but I scored the first fight twice a draw and had Canelo winning the second close but clear. If your entire estimation of GGG's greatness comes down to two fights he couldnt convincingly win over a guy he begged to move up in weight to fight him and you have to rewrite history to make those clear wins for him then like I said, youve proven my point. Ive seen puddles that are deeper than GGG's resume and you want us to believe this overhyped mediocrity is a top ten fighter in the deepest division in history??? There are contenders who never got close to a title that have FAR deeper resumes than GGG. Spider Webb has a better resume than GGG and you never see anyone calling him a top ten ATG MW.

Smokin Bert likes this.
  14. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ok. Rocky beat prime guys.

Walcott 1 - prime, or certainly near it
    Charles 1&2 - past prime
    Moore - prime, or certainly near it
    Layne - prime
    LaStarza 1&2 - prime

Of his best opponents, one was past prime... he also beat his opponents clearly, whilst GGG squeezed past Derevyanchenko and Jacobs with somewhat debated decisions.

15. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    ^^Could have been a superb post, had you not attempted to rewrite history throughout.

You should also consider ring wear and age, when making your comparison with Greats of the past.

Other than that, Golovkin's opposition are your biggest problem, because there's no getting away from the fact that, in the main, they were mediocre to poor.

Jacobs (1-0-0)
    Canelo (0-1-1)

That's it. And, it's a hard sell (and you have tried so very, very hard).