Gennady Golovkin will lose his 0 to Saul Alvarez in May

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by GK BOX, Jan 12, 2018.

1. GK BOX

GK BOX Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    It is inevitable
    The cash cow highest earner in the US will beat the aging champion from the far away place

If Canelo does just slightly better in the rematch he wins the fight

If GGG starts quicker he raises his chances

But politics will reign supreme

Canelo learned he could fight with GGG

Notice how GGG couldn’t even hurt Canelo. Most GGG opponents either get dropped or buzzed.

Canelo wins

Scyson, SnatchBox, jmashyaka and 3 others like this.
  2. KiwiMan

KiwiMan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    As long as it's a fair/reasonable decision that's fine as far as I'm concerned.

I like Gennady and hope he pulls it off, but am not as emotionally invested in him as some on this forum. I got Canelo too, he just needs to get fitter and keep his intensity.

3. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    So long as the winner actually deserves the W, works for me. Fan of both guys!

4. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Golovkin has always been a slow starter and he abandoned body work in the Jacobs fight as well. I doubt Golovkin will make the necessary adjusts and turn back to clock. I don't see any reason why he'd be more motivated in the rematch than he was in the first fight.

As much as I'd like to see Golovkin win my head is with Canelo. Not a bad way to lose the 0 though. Canelo is a very good fighter and is worthy of carrying on the MW crown. I'm sure if Canelo wins that Saunders or Charlo will get their chance like Lara and Trout did at 154.

5. GK BOX

Nov 23, 2015
    Some dudes on here were very emotionally invested in GGG. I think some of that has been tempered now given the Brook, Jacobs, Canelo I result. GGG has been shown to be human in those fights against top level opponents.

Willie Maeket likes this.
  6. KiwiMan

KiwiMan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    True, however to go into more detail:

I think the last fight did the most to knock off the excesses in both underrating and overrating GGG.

Brook looked good for a bit but no one knew exactly how good Brook was as he was pretty much untested except for vs Porter. Also no one knew how well a top 147 with a good beard ought to do against a top 160, it sort of makes sense with his speed advantage he can get some nice shots in before getting worn down. Jacobs was also an unknown, he hadn't fought enough elite opponents either. He blitzed Quillin in 1 but that could've been a freak result, and Pirog KO'ed him. Of course the armies of casuals were surprised when GGG actually failed to stop him.

But with the Canelo fight we actually have a better idea of where this version of Gennady is at.

No one can say that Canelo is not p4p/elite and for Golovkin to fight on equal (or perhaps slightly better according to a number of people) terms is highly credible, especially at this stage of his career. He did not get schooled like some predicted. At the same time, probably an even larger number thought Golovkin would get an easy KO and they were undeceived that night.

kk17, Chuck Norris, SnatchBox and 6 others like this.
  7. deyell

deyell MOLECULE FROM HELL. Full Member

Aug 10, 2015
    It will be similar as the first fight, except Golovkin will get robbed worse.

SnatchBox likes this.
  8. GK BOX

Nov 23, 2015
    Great post bud!
    I thought it funny how so many on here thought GGG would KO Canelo. No way.
    I was leaning Canelo before the first fight. I saw a close GGG win in a competitive fight. Canelo just took to much time off and you cant beat a champ fighting in effective spurts.
    I expect GGG to come in a bit less motivated, a bit older.

KiwiMan and Hugo98 like this.
  9. shanahan14

shanahan14 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I think it's basically a foregone conclusion that Golovkin will lose his 0.

The problem is, it will most likely be a highly controversial decision.

10. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket Make the Cold War great again. Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    I just wanna buy some Tix to this one. If it's nosebleeds I will just watch it at the MGM close circut. I'll be in Vegas for Box Expo, maybe I can pimp out Todd and Kevin and make them blow old guys for my ticket money.

11. radupidu

radupidu Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Why less motivated for the rematch ?
    Because of tons of $$$ he made in his last fight ?

Hmmm...could be

GK BOX likes this.
  12. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Very possible...or pick up his 2nd D if not first L.

SnatchBox likes this.
  13. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Let's hope he doesn't get beaten by judges instead of his opponent.

Bustajay and iii like this.
  14. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Agreed. Sadly.

Banana-Rama, SnatchBox and KiwiMan like this.
  15. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I doubt it, the first match was a very winnable one for GGG, since he actually won it.:lol: But had he made just a few adjustments, he could have beaten Canelo more decisively, I'm pretty sure Sanchez and GGG know this, and will study the first fight thoroughly and make them. Something Kovalev didn't have the luxury of doing, since his mind was consumed with rage and anger, and his trainers deceitful behavior instead of focusing on what adjustments he could make. Also its a hell of a lot harder to make adjustments with Ward than it is for Canelo.

iii and S.K like this.