George "Ferocious" Kambosos, Jr.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jun 4, 2019.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Though not up yet on BoxRec, there is a card happening in Greece on Friday, whereupon the Aussie of Hellenic descent will revisit his ancestral homeland for the first time and take on teenage gunslinger Richard Alejandro Kleyberd "The Hit Boy" Peña of Venezuela. He is coming off a terrific performance that earned him a UD in an 8-rounder with top-notch Filipino journeyman Rey Padilla "Sindangan Technician" Pérez on the Pacquiao vs. Broner undercard, in his sophomore run on American soil.

He seems to have been bitten by the travel bug, as he spent his first thirteen fights on his home continent but has left Oceania behind, with this visit to Athens marking his fourth consecutive match elsewhere. He is sure to make a splash and build a following wherever he goes, with his style - a fast-handed, smash-mouth boxer-brawler with a specialty in foundation demolition, blowing out the basement walls of anybody foolish enough to stand in front of him with naught but a basic high guard.

His ceiling is yet to be determined, but I can't imagine he won't be in the world title mix at lightweight (maybe light welter down the road) before long. There's a reason Manny Pacquiao has chosen him for a sparring partner for his last several matches. :deal:

GKJ pro debut, versus Quin Jayson Macapagal Gura:
    This content is protected

GKJ vs. Rodynie Manzano Rafol:

GKJ vs. Qamil Balla:

2. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    As a developing fighter, he shouldn't have broken off on his own yet... The best ring experience he can get now and in the immediate future is spar wars with Manny.

3. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    He's going to be 26 next week; you want he should just sit around with his thumb up his butt and whittle away his prime waiting for the one camp a year the Senator needs his services? :thinking:

4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    1st, the good news...

There will be a live stream for GKJ vs. Peña here:
    http://www.novasports.gr/web-tv/live-stream/

Starting from 21:30 local time in Athens - which is 2:30pm EST.

The bad news? They're burying him deep on the undercard, with the main event a WBO female super lightweight title fight. Which...fair enough, I guess, although I doubt incumbent Christina Linardatou or challenger Deanha Hobbs will ever be nearly the draw that GKJ already is. :nusenuse:

Somachenko and eltirado like this.
  5. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Yes, Kambosos is 26, but how many opportunities does an up and coming boxer have to be the main sparring partner for a living and active ATG that is still an elite or close to elite fighter? It's not just the sparring, but the overall camp life and training benefits that can provide invaluable experiences for professional growth. If Pacquiao beats Thurman, he will fight again in December/January and then maybe July 2020. Either way, the Senator's career comes to an end in the near future. The experience of working w/ Pacquiao for another year or so is greater than any opponent he is likely to face in the next year. Plus the money is very good. It's what I would do or suggest to my fighter. A true symbiotic relationship.

Above Deck and Bofo24 like this.
  6. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I came here to read a nice wholesome thread about one of Australia's best prospects and then because of this post I googled "self administered prostrate exam"...i was not disappointed.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  7. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Love him, pne of my fav prospects. How far you think he can go @IntentionalButt ?

8. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    He is my fave Aussie fighter he looks to have good potential but he seriously needs to get active and step up. For a young guy he only seems to fight a couple of times a year. I read he has split with Justin Fortune.

9. zoley

zoley Active Member Full Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Can you tell me the fight that convinced you that George was destined for title fights. His up coming fight with the " GUNSLINGER''
    Richard Pena rated 861 on boxrec will do nothing for George's legacy let alone set him on his path to title fights.
    At this stage George should be targeting fighters in the top 20 rankings not in the top 800s.
    There is a reason Pena is ranked 861, out of his 14 fights his opponents have won 10 fights between them. one of his losses was to Acosta
    who was 0-12 at the time, Acosta is now 1-23 his only win in 24 fights is Pena the gunslinger !!!!!.

10. Sandman_

Sandman_ Undisputed Full Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I'm not as high on GKJ as many Australian fans.

We saw with Bilal Akkawy that it's not just a matter of training with big names. The work you do in the gym needs to be supplemented with regular fights against benchmark opposition. As MP pointed out, that's not happening.

My other reservations are that he's not particularly physically strong & doesn't hit particularly hard. Those are valuable commodities in a professional fighter.

What I do like about him is his good hand speed, busy style, conditioning & can-do attitude. He's got a very positive mindset that should ensure he fulfils his potential. So long as he gets the right fights.

juppity and WhataRock like this.
  11. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    OK, real quick, and I mean no disrespect here, but serious question: are you autistic? Nobody is hyping up Peña in particular. This is clearly a step down for Kambosos, just someone found on late notice for a stay-busy fight to get his foot in the door of the Greek market (being in the unique position he finds himself in with the potential to build himself into a draw in three countries). His best scalps to date are probably Rey Pérez and Qamil Balla, neither of them elites or anything but solid and well-known enough quantities and yardsticks that we can glean something from good form against them, as GKK has shown. You did all that boxrecing for literally no reason; you've made no good point whatsoever. :xqw

12. zoley

zoley Active Member Full Member

Jul 17, 2011
    First of all, no disrespect taken. Serious answer, no i am not on the spectrum. You have hyped this bout even posting a link where we can watch this event. Seriously one fighter ranked 22 against a fighter ranked 861. No wonder Boxrec has not got it listed.
    As for GKJ getting his foot in the door of the Greek market what a load of poppycock.
    As i previously stated at this stage in his career George should be targeting fighters ranked in the top 20 not the top 800s.

13. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Ferocious is not the best Aust prospect fighting this weekend. Unbeaten Liam Prodigy Paro
    who helped the Hornet prepared for Pacquiao is fighting a legitimate opponent.
    Paro is WBO no 3 is fighting unbeaten Turkish Olympian Fatik Keles WBO no 12 in what is a virtual eliminator to face American WBO Champ Maurice Hooker..

Sandman_ likes this.
  14. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Are you fucking kidding me?? :lol: :lol:

I make lots of threads, about lots of fights & fighters - and I've given this one no more particular attention than any other save for replying to your baiting comments, so not sure how I'm "hyping" it. GKJ has been on a lot of people's radar for a while now. Obviously this is a step down in class for him, and hopefully a one-off, but usually people are happy to know where they can watch a hot prospect in action, even in an early days mismatch. EXCUSE ME for sharing information, didn't realize it would cause you such offense. :rolleyes: Here's a thought - maybe I was sharing that information for the benefit of people whose interest might already be piqued, and not for you personally? Maybe people can watch videos of Kambosos' fights and determine for themselves whether he passes muster on their own subjective qualitative eye test (against known quantities such as Balla or Pérez) rather than just being strictly boxrec warriors and bothering to look up the ranking of as obvious a stay-busy nothing-doodle opponent as Peña, as though it meant a damn thing or were some reason to boycott an entire card or Kambosos' match in particular?

Literally why have you even bothered wasting a single keystroke replying to my thread in this manner, let alone now a few paragraphs? Those who care to know about this, will benefit from it. You, if you don't, are free to ignore my thread - and to also refrain from commenting on it.

For all you or I know after Peña the next opponent will be a top 15 ranked contender. Or maybe it won't. Doesn't really matter, right now, does it? This fight is what it is - a chance for people to check out somebody they have maybe heard of from their past showcase performances on undercards, or from gym legends. Simple as that. Really not sure why that's cause for whining.

Somachenko likes this.
  15. sparta

sparta Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2008
    George has a good management team around him who know what they are doing, George is no world beater at this STAGE but may well be if matched correctly, allowed to progress and not rushed like some Aussie fighters that we know. aussie boxers will always be behind the 8ball when in comes to schooling, that's why George is in the states to play catch up. George fighting in Europe is a great idea to build up his fan base and stay busy, a big fight is coming for George, patience grasshopper. Not poppy ****.

MidniteProwler likes this.