George Foreman Says He Was Drugged Before Ali Fight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Vysotsky, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Vysotsky

Vysotsky Boxing Junkie banned

Oct 14, 2009
    According to his memoir "God in My Corner" Foreman claims he was secretly drugged prior to his heavyweight title fight against Ali in Zaire. George claims he was given a strange-tasting cup of water just prior to the fight.

"I almost spit it out ... Man, I know this water has medicine in it," Foreman told his trainer at the time, according to his book. "I climbed into the ring with that medicinal taste still lingering in my mouth ... After the third round, I was as tired as if I had fought 15 rounds. What's going on here? Did someone slip a drug in my water?" Foreman's trainer denied the water had anything in it.

George has said this a few times in recent years what are people's thoughts?

Add another one to the list

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Could be.
    He looked a bit sleepy in there.
    Stranger things have happened I'm sure.

Foreman certainly portrays Dick Sadler as a very dubious character. You gotta love them old-timers.

3. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I've heard this peculiar excuse brought up for a number of losses in the heavyweight division before now.

Can anyone tell me what particular compound would drastically affect your stamina in such a way without leading to other nasty side effects like vomiting, diarrhea, fainting etc?

4. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

Knock it off, Pepe'..........:roll:

5. LittleRed

LittleRed Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 19, 2012
    A witch doctor put a whammy on him. This is common knowledge and discussed in every book our documentary about the Rumble in the Jungle.

6. Vysotsky

Oct 14, 2009
    Back in the 80's and 90's. In the last decade or so he's been claiming this different story?

So quoting George Foreman's comments about one of the more significant and celebrated fights in HW history isn't allowed?

7. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    He also blamed it on seeing his friends for cheering for Ali which made him fall for the Rope a Dope. Don't buy it. This is old nonsense.

8. PetethePrince

May 30, 2009
    No.

9. Vysotsky

Oct 14, 2009
    :lol: Ali worship is funny

Johnny_B likes this.
  10. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    Oh please.........this stuff was first dredged up by Foreman himself immediately following the fight, and then he completely reneged on that excuse in the following years, claiming all that was just an excuse and Ali really beat him fair and square and all was good.

Now this? Meh. Even if that quote is true, the story has flip-flopped too many times to have any meaning whatsoever.

11. PetethePrince

May 30, 2009
    Yes, that's what is going on here. :roll:

Shall we roll on the George Foreman quotes to just embarrass your faith in his credibility?

I am saying that as a Foreman fan.

12. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    And I say what I said as a fan of neither, and a hater of all things heavyweight.

13. Vysotsky

Oct 14, 2009
    lol No iv had the pleasure of listening to him countless times on HBO fights, the amount of times he's unintentionally hilarious or says **** that seems so off base are too numerous to count. I'm not saying i believe that is what happened im just quoting George and noting the various claims through the decades.

14. salty trunks

salty trunks Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2009
    He was drugged by that short righthand and uppercut.

15. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Vy, none of us can say for certain, of course. Liston had funny things going on around his fights, Ali, Foreman, Tyson, Dempsey, Golota, Volo, Bowe, Johnson, Lewis, (Povetkin :lol:). I can think of a lot of heavies that have had some shady things like this either suggested to have happened to them or an opponent. You can't say for certain if they even believe it themselves.

When pride finds excuses, you never know how much you can delude yourself. I have a feeling, mostly because I've heard Foreman go back and forth on this, that he's had days where he's convinced this did happen to him, and days where he thinks he'd just wanted an excuse. I don't think he straight lied, based on what I've seen or heard him say. I just think he's gone back and forth on it himself. Lingering doubt that never went away, maybe. Foreman also says...so much. About so much. :lol:

Then again, with all the things I've heard, I'd have to think the odds are at least one or two of these are bound to be true. :shock: And there's certainly a lot on the table that would motivate taking risks to sabotage. And who can trust guys like King and the lot of criminal figures in this business lurking around?

:lol: Sal.