George Foreman v Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Stevie G, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    This has briefly been discussed recently. The 1973/74 Foreman would have a battle on his hands for the first three or four rounds,but he'd ko Jack before the sixth. George would have too much raw power.

2. Johnstown

Johnstown Boxing Addict banned

Aug 30, 2010
    I would think as the fight goes on things actually start looking better for Jack. If its even the first 4 then I doubt the tide turns for Foreman. If Foreman wins he dominates from the start.

3. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    I can't see Jack being elusive enough to stop George connecting in the early going.

4. Kalasinn

Kalasinn ♧ OG Kally ♤ Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    If you think Foreman "destroys" Tyson, then why do you think Dempsey would give him a battle for 4 rounds? :huh

5. Swarmer

Swarmer Patrick Full Member

Jan 19, 2010
    As much as I like Dempsey, this is the worst possible matchup for him in heavyweight history. I see him doing a little better than frazier simply because he was a quicker starter and he recovered amazingly from damage, and because he also has the power to trouble Foreman even drop him.... but sadly Foreman KO inside 6 is probably what we're lookin' at here.

6. Stevie G

Jul 17, 2009
    I may have come out with a misleading comment about Tyson. George would have a fight on his hands with both Tyson AND Dempsey early on,but would knock them both out by the fifth,tops.

7. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    dempsey would be crushed by foreman

8. Johnstown

Johnstown Boxing Addict banned

Aug 30, 2010
    Pretty good chance your right...but you also think bob foster beats dempsey...so....

9. turpinr

Feb 6, 2009
    :lol:maybe i was just fishing for bites when i mentioned foster beating dempsey but i'm serious about big george knocking **** out of caveman jack.

10. manbearpig

manbearpig A Scottish Noob Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Jack Dempsey would win due to the speed his svelt, fabulous ballerina legs allowed him to move in and out at. People who saw JACK DEMPSEY in his PRIME held him as the greatest EVER. Who ARE we to disAgree?????????

He beat the GIGANTIC and subtly skilled Jess Willard who outweighed him by 60 pounDs!!!!! George Black Guy Foreman would be a piece of cake in comparison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Hydraulix

Hydraulix Left Hook From Hell.. Full Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I'd give Dempsey a chance here. You saw what he did to Willard. He waited for the perfect opening to attack. He didn't just plant himself in front of Willard the way that Tyson, Frazier or Marciano would have. Dempsey circled Willard, waiting for the perfect opening to attack.

Based on the Willard fight, I think Jack would have dived in on Foreman at the right moment, rather than trying to steamroll him at the opening bell. I think Jack would have fought a smarter fight against Foreman than any of the other swarmers.

12. Swarmer

Swarmer Patrick Full Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Not really a good comparison though, Willard was trying to box more with Jack. Foreman wouldn't fight like that.

13. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I don't think that a 37 year old Jess Willard who hadn't fought in years, can be compared to a 26 year old Foreman who was coming off a fresh destruction over Joe Frazier. Furthermore, while Willard was a giant, he couldn't punch nearly as hard as Foreman. He was crude and unpolished after years of inactivity, yet on film, Jack is still getting cought by good shots on the inside... If that were Foreman, trading in close, Jack would have been hit by a force that he never even came close to tasting in his career, and at 185 lbs, I doubt his chin would hold up.. In addition, George could tie a man up on the inside, neutralizing his attack, and did so against several punchers throughout both his careers.. he also gave a nasty little gut check on the clinches that often took its toll. Lastly, his chin is very underrated.. He was stopped only once in 81 fights, and that had more to do with exhaustion than the ability to take a shot.. Dempsey was KO'd by Fred Fulton in one round, decked by the very crude Firpo and tagged a few times by Willard. None of these men were in Foreman's category...

Jack is out of his league here, and it has nothing to do with **** like "legacy" or "testimonies" from men like Nat Fleischer.

14. DonBoxer

DonBoxer The Lion! Full Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Foreman Kills him.

15. turpinr

Feb 6, 2009
    literally