George Foreman vs Cleveland Williams

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Dance84, Jan 5, 2021.

Who wins

1. Foreman Knockout

98.5%
  2. Foreman Decision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Williams Knockout

1.5%
  4. Williams Decision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I'm not using this as a blanket rule, but as for myself, I remember Cleveland Williams was one of the very first fighters I heard of and read about.

2. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I guess I somehow missed all of the casual references to Williams in popular or even sports media that tickled the curiosity of so many prompting them to take an interest in the sport in my 40 years of following it.

choklab likes this.
  3. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    Well, you have to admit, a lot of boxing historians have hyped Williams up a lot. I obviously like him a lot more than you do, but a lot of articles mention how he's considered the greatest heavy never to win the title.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  4. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    To be fair a lot of articles talk up a lot of other fighters as being “the greatest heavy never to win the title” in a kind of coulda shoulda woulda kind of way.

There are more guys like that in articles than there have been heavyweight champions!

And with all of them, even individually, when you check them out, there really isn’t any credence when you look at the film and the records for yourself though.

Williams was good copy. He was what they used to call “a colourful fighter”. I think his fans should be happy with that.

what used to be called a colourful fighter shouldn’t be confused with being a would be champion.

There isn’t really anything logical on Williams record that says he should be on any short list of greatest heavyweights not to become world champion.

BCS8 and William Walker like this.
  5. William Walker

Apr 9, 2020
    I agree w/ u, I think, on all points. Actually, I take that back. This may be based solely on experience, or lack thereof, but Jerry Quarry's the only other heavyweight I remember being referred 2 as the greatest heavy 2 never win a title, although in terms of resume, that's actually true.
    I am happy w/ that. I think he was part of what made the late 50s and 60s such a great era. I do think he had the skill 2 be a champion, but oh well. At this point, I would just be happy w/ some more videos of Williams, like his fights w/ Richardson, Holman, Miteff, Daniels 2, Machen, Terrell 1, Curley Lee, Cleroux, and Bob Mashburn.

choklab likes this.
  6. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    One does not need to pretend anything but it may he helpful to keep in mind that the loss to Terrell wasn’t decisive.

William Walker likes this.
  7. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I don’t think anyone chased him away my guess is that he became a little weary of being subjected to being attacked and banned for responding at most in kind.

choklab and BCS8 like this.
  8. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    That’s a shame.we disagreed but I always liked him.

William Walker and Nighttrain like this.
  9. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think that if Williams had been a little better trained, taught to hit and move and to pick more carefully when exchanges took place ... and to PROTECT HIS CHIN ... he might have done substantially better. Personally I like the looks of him, he'd be a stiff test for anybody outside the elite.

choklab and William Walker like this.
  10. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    His froot loops comment was hideous though, surely that ban was deserved? :p

William Walker likes this.
  11. Frankus

Frankus Active Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2016
    What versions of Williams are fighting Big George? He’d need multiple versions in the ring at the same time to stand a chance.

Glass City Cobra and BCS8 like this.
  12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    What thread was that on? I’d like to have a look at that.

13. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    No idea. I just recall that he was banned for calling somebody froot loops. Pretty mild stuff tbh.

choklab likes this.
  14. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    All fantasy.

First, mcvey hasn't been "chased away", he attended site almost daily up unit one week ago when he was last seen.

Secondly, he was hardly "subjected to being attacked" and would say so himself - rather he was combative and had himself a mortal enemy.

Third, he has been banned a total of either three or four times from the forum (he says twice) and has done considerably less days banned than Mendoza, who has even had a perma-ban.

swagdelfadeel and BCS8 like this.
  15. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Mendoza was perma-banned? His profile still shows up.