George Foreman ~VS~ Earnie Shavers

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ThePlugInBabies, Nov 16, 2007.

1. ThePlugInBabies

ThePlugInBabies ♪ ♫ Full Member

Jan 27, 2007
    probably the two biggest hitters in HW history, so does earnie have any hope here? or does he simply get smashed out by the harder chinned foreman? or can earnie pull off an upset with his equally freakish punching power?

would it be over in the blink of any eye or would we get a good 5/6 rounds of vicious slugging?

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Freakishly, Foreman is a better boxer than Shavers. It's for that reason that he'd get Shavers early, rather than any other.

3. ThePlugInBabies

ThePlugInBabies ♪ ♫ Full Member

Jan 27, 2007
    i must admit, much to my shame, i've seen very little of earnie. one of those fighters i've been meaning to catch up on for ages but haven't got round to yet.

4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    People are in love with him because every now and again he'll just whang! one in. But I find his matching with ATG fighters a bit distasteful.

This one would sure shift a few pay per views though.

5. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Shavers could hit hard, but he didn't take a very good punch, particularly from the better fighters. He might put Foreman on the canvas, but in the end, he'd be the one who went down for the count. Could be another Foreman-Lyle, or it could be a quick bomb-out ala Shavers fight with Quarry. Either way, Big George wins convincingly.

6. MagnificentMatt

MagnificentMatt Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Same here, but i've heard things about his chin that... Well dont exactly sound promising in a fight with Big George..

7. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    What you've heard is true. Shavers did not have the greatest chin. Not glass, but nowhere near as sturdy as Foreman's. That would be the difference in this fight, imo - they both hit hard, but Foreman took the much better punch.

8. Woddy

Woddy Guest

This is a bad fight for Shavers. Even though I respect Earnie, I think George takes him out early. Foreman had the style and power to dominate quickley.

Foreman by KO within 2.

9. brooklyn1550

brooklyn1550 Roberto Duran Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
  10. JohnBKelly

JohnBKelly Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2005
    George all the way, watch Quarry v Shavers and you just know George would crush Earnie.

11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think George would take longer to do it than Quarry because he was less methodical in his punching and would leave himself open to counters.

Big George is going to win but I could see it being an interesting if short fight.

12. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Earnie's chin would be the main factor in the fight. IMO it wouldn't hold up against Foreman's shots, but when he isn't down, you would see some wild swining. If he had Ron Lyle's chin, then IMO it would be a better slug fest than Lyle-Foreman.

13. Woddy

Woddy Guest

Depends,

If Foreman comes out slamming away like he did against Norton and Frazier, then I'm not sure that Shavers is making out of the first round. IF Earnie is fortunate enough to land a few of his patented rights early, then he might extend the fight a little, as George may decide to show him a bit more respect, but if George catches him first, then its going to be a very short night for Shavers.

14. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I like Foreman in 3 rounds or less.

15. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006

I agree with your summary, Foreman wins by brutal KO whenever he chooses. I honestly think he'd land heavily early on and finish matters sometime before the 4th, Earnie couldn't last long in survival mode in this case.

Ps: Shavers chin wasn't much cop at all really: sub-par would be an apt description. Lewis is accused by some of having a weak chin, yet it was definitely sturdier over the course of his career than Ernie's was (which you describe as 'solid'). In addition Lennox took heavier punches without going down. I challenge you (as a Lewis detractor) to state otherwise (something which would be highly inaccurate). ;)