George Foreman vs Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SuzieQ49, May 28, 2015.

1. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    If anyone swung like a barn door...it was Foreman....oh yeah,....prime Dempsey by KO...

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    What people need to get straight about George Foreman is he was only one or the other. and for a great fighter both versions had bad flaws and limitations. The greatest Champions never did. Dempsey was one of the greatest Champions. At his best Jack had less flaws and more useful assets.

you cannot combine Foremans later caution, better pace as an old man with young George because that guy never existed.

The speed of a 32 year old Ali bothered Foreman and he could not get out of the way of Lyles slower punches.

That is not to say George wasnt tougher and stronger than any guy Dempsey ever fought. He was Four times the man that Firpo was and has four times the chance.

But I give Jack the edge only because you need to be the finished article to beat Jack Dempsey and George first time around never was.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Dempsey was one of the most vicious short punchers ever.

4. Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin Active Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2015
    I know. He is a great in my mind along with many other fighters I admire.

5. Germanicus

Germanicus Active Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2013
    I would never favor any of the great swarmers against a prime Foreman. He beats them all, that style of fighter is made to order for Foreman.

6. janwalshs

janwalshs Active Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2010
    If Frazier couldn't dent George with any of his hooks, I can't see Dempsey doing anything different. GF is too big, too strong and hits too hard. He wins by early KO.

7. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Against very weak opposition . When he faced better competition you got exposed outfoxed knocked down lost rounds

Foreman knocked out better fighter than Dempsey in joe Frazier . He also knocked out in Norton bigger better boxer than anyone Dempsey beat. lyle was the more dangerous puncher than anyone Dempsey beat

Films show Dempsey was a sucker for a good right and an uppercut . He kept his hands too low and stuck his head out while moving in. He was staggered many times on film by smaller fighters

Foreman takes him out quick

8. hookfromhell

hookfromhell Well-Known Member Full Member

May 5, 2011
    40-0 Foreman KO 2. Old Foreman is interesting.

9. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Dempsey - Foreman should be epic!

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Frazier was indeed better than anybody that Dempsey beat, but once you get past him, Foreman's resume starts to look pretty thin in his first career.

11. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    The glass-chinned Alex Stewart could create a "new" Foreman face
    and Dempsey was much more better and tougher than Alex and he
    was more dangerous than the featherfisted bum Young.

12. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    I think Firpo and Willard was better and maybe stronger than
    the unathletic,weak and out of shape half-blind Frazier.